Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 12 Mar 2011 (Saturday) 11:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iPad 2 Alternative? Dell Duo

unicronx
22 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 12, 2011 18:50 |  #16

cacawcacaw wrote in post #12006820 (external link)
Compared to the iPad, it's two and a half times heavier, much thicker, has only 3 hours of battery life, and most importantly, it lacks the iPads IPA display and smooth interface.

IMAGE: http://www.delish.com/cm/delish/images/Odell---IPA-fb-69879827.jpg

IPA, YOU SAY?:lol:

sponsored links
HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 12, 2011 19:00 |  #17

cacawcacaw wrote in post #12008163 (external link)
Except that the iPad can be used (clumsily) for the purpose I proposed

Its a matter of time. We don't know if it's Canon or Apple, or Canon simply doesn't bother to do it (which I'm willing to put my bet on). Software development isn't free.

Technically speaking the problem people look at iPad is they keep comparing it to PC w/o realizing how fundamentally different it is from PC. EOS utility is probably touchscreen-able, but no one figured out how to do DPP-ish stuff in a touchscreen friendly way. Some people will proceed to say "iPad is crap because it can't do X", which is a faulted logic.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Rey
571 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 12, 2011 19:10 |  #18

Except that the iPad can be used (clumsily) for the purpose I proposed, so I can compare the iPad with other computers for this specific use. Unless you're saying that the iPad should only be compared in the uses that it excels at.

True love requires that you see your lover's faults and accept them for what they are. I'm only "in like" with the iPad.

...and I can hammer a nail in with a heavy crescent wrench, does that mean I should compare it to an actual hammer?

Get the right tool for the job. What you want to do is better suited for a laptop, plain and simple. I can't use inDesign or Illustrator on an iPad. You don't see me complaining. I have an understanding of a tools strengths and shortcomings.

Watch a movie or read a book... iPad. Process photos or lay out an album for print...laptop/desktop​. Simple.

Canon 5D MKII • BG-E6 • Canon EOS-M • Canon 85mm F1.2L II USM • Canon 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM • Canon 16-35mm F2.8L II USM • Canon 24-70mm F2.8L USM • Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM • Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART • Canon Speedlight 600 EX-RT • Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Canon Speedlite 430EX II • Gitzo 3530 • Really Right Stuff BH-55 LR

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 12, 2011 19:22 |  #19

tkbslc wrote in post #12008074 (external link)
I must be one of the only people that doesn't get what's so cool about a giant phone you can't make calls on.

+1

I'm on one right now ( my wife's) doing what it does best.

Randy...

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 12, 2011 19:24 |  #20

Rey wrote in post #12008660 (external link)
...and I can hammer a nail in with a heavy crescent wrench, does that mean I should compare it to an actual hammer?

Get the right tool for the job. What you want to do is better suited for a laptop, plain and simple. I can't use inDesign or Illustrator on an iPad. You don't see me complaining. I have an understanding of a tools strengths and shortcomings.

Watch a movie or read a book... iPad. Process photos or lay out an album for print...laptop/desktop​. Simple.

And if we all thought like that, we'd still be hammering with rocks! :lol:

Randy...

cacawcacaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 12, 2011 20:08 |  #21

unicronx wrote in post #12008580 (external link)
IPA, YOU SAY?:lol:

Okay, I guess my true loyalties have been exposed. How does the saying go? Something like, I'd rather have an IPA in front of me than an IPS...

Educational offering for those, like me, who don't know the difference between a display type and a beer type:
"LCD panels using TN tend to have a limited viewing angle relative to CRT and plasma displays. This reduces the number of people able to conveniently view the same image – laptop screens are a prime example. Usually when looking below the screen, it gets much darker; looking from above makes it look lighter. This distorts the colors and makes cheap LCD monitors unsuitable for work where color is important, such as in graphic design work, as the colors change when the eyes are moved slightly up or down, or when looking either at the top of the screen or at the bottom from a fixed position. Many displays based on thin film transistor variants such as IPS, MVA, or PVA, have much improved viewing angles; typically the color only becomes a little brighter when viewing at extreme angles, though much of the improvements on viewing angles has been done on lateral angles, not on vertical ones."

Point: iPad

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

cacawcacaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 12, 2011 20:16 |  #22

HyperYagami wrote in post #12008621 (external link)
... Some people will proceed to say "iPad is crap because it can't do X", which is a faulted logic.

I think the iPad is an incredible hardware/software combo. And I originally spent a bunch of dough to switch to the iPhone for the same features. When I want to watch a movie in bed, I use a laptop. When I want to kill time in a waiting room, I use my Android phone. I just don't have a strong need for the in-between machine.

But, I'm going to give the Dell a try because I think it would be a gas to have the EOS camera utility on a tablet-type computer without spending $1,500. If it's underwhelming, I'll send it back.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 12, 2011 22:00 |  #23

Rey wrote in post #12008660 (external link)

I must be weird, I use a large television to watch movies and I like to use an actual book to read a book.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,474 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 13, 2011 00:40 |  #24

Except that the iPad can be used (clumsily) for the purpose I proposed, so I can compare the iPad with other computers for this specific use. Unless you're saying that the iPad should only be compared in the uses that it excels at.

True love requires that you see your lover's faults and accept them for what they are. I'm only "in like" with the iPad.

My feelings are the same ... I'm also only "in like" with my iPad. The iPad tablet format shows a lot of promise, but it will probably be version 4 or 5 before it becomes really useful for me. Right now it's a nice portable device for email and web browsing with a great display for showing off images. Managing image files (or any other files) on the device is not that great.

I look forward to future tablets with USB or Thunderbolt ports, a portion of the internal storage using an accessible directory structure, built in SD reader, seamless integration with all off-site file sharing services such as SkyDrive, much improved touch screens where you can jot notes with better resolution (with pens that feel like pens), and the ability to view all web content, including Flash. With this I could run cloud Office applications while keeping my data on the device and effortlessly take notes during meetings ... both being very kludgy to do on the current iPad/iPad2.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

M.Quick
441 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 13, 2011 04:32 |  #25

Wow!
Cool netbook!

Now i feel like to replace my current netbook, though 3hours battery, that's a really bad batterylife. My current netbook does 10hours, or it did 2years ago, still does around 7hours without any hesitations.

But that's a really cool netbook, neat that you can fold the screen.

My "cheap" pro-setup;
Canon EOS 450D | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Canon EF 70-200L f2.8 IS USM | YN-468 v2
8GB SDHC Class10 | BG-E5 + 4xLP-E5 | RC-4 | Canon E1 | Lowepro Exchange Messenger bag

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,155 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 13, 2011 08:02 |  #26

Does anyone know if Lightroom would run on this set up??

cacawcacaw wrote in post #12006820 (external link)
I drove to Fry's with a friend to pick up his new iPad2. While there, I noticed the new Dell Duo for about $500 and this morning I ordered one from Costco for $499 plus tax plus $15 shipping. I realize this is not a great deal, but these are pretty new and there's a fairly high probability that this will be returned, making Costco the best choice.

Compared to the iPad, it's two and a half times heavier, much thicker, has only 3 hours of battery life, and most importantly, it lacks the iPads IPA display and smooth interface.

But, it's a tablet with 320 GB of storage and it will run all of my software, including EOS camera controls. And, it has a full sized keyboard that can be easily concealed.

Wish me luck.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.amazon.com …adid=1JZ8ZJ4K4Q​BR3WJEJ7QG  (external link)

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 13, 2011 08:56 |  #27

I dont know about this one but I have a dell mini 10v with the 1.6 atom processor and LR works but I wouldn't say it runs its more like a crawl ! looking at the specs I doubt this one is much faster

importing the pictures works ok if you do the minimal rendering, if you want to do a 1:1 preview on the 5DMKII raw files for example it takes forever !

I purchased the mini to use for using LR when traveling I did it once and have never used it again because it drove me crazy so I ended up purchasing a travel laptop which is still slow enough

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

M.Quick
441 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 13, 2011 09:57 |  #28

cntry wrote in post #12010789 (external link)
Does anyone know if Lightroom would run on this set up??

Should run without any problems.

Runs fine on my Asus EEE PC 1000HE which is An N280 1.66Ghz Atom and 2GB DDR2.

May be a little slow depending on what you do, but surely it will run. These aren't really made for doing any post processing as it may be frustrating (i would know lol) from time to time.
The dell duo is a faster netbook, but by how much, i wouldn't really know.

I just saw that Asus has a netbook that is kind of like this one talked about in the thread, but it has 6.5hours of battery life and it seems to have about the same specs, cpu is Atom 1.66Ghz N450, 2GB and graphics card is the same + 320GB hdd, 10.1" screen. Also it's cheaper. Ofcourse it has a touchscreen(multitouch​) and the screen can be swiveled around so you have a tablet. Has 3 USB ports, the webcam is suckier on it though, not that it would matter.
Smaller screen resolution also, 1024x600, that's a little drawback.. SDHC and MMC card reader etc.

EDIT: I'm talking about the Asus PC TC101MT

My "cheap" pro-setup;
Canon EOS 450D | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Canon EF 70-200L f2.8 IS USM | YN-468 v2
8GB SDHC Class10 | BG-E5 + 4xLP-E5 | RC-4 | Canon E1 | Lowepro Exchange Messenger bag

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 13, 2011 12:29 |  #29

Biggest problem with running image editing tools on these kinds of devices is the screen size and resolution. By the time you have a toolbar and tool palette open, you are left with maybe 640x480 for the actual image.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Panda_stunter
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 13, 2011 13:06 |  #30

I was actually looking at this for a digital portfolio type. I already have a net book, and laptop, but to have an iPad is better to show your portfolio to a client: ips screen.

For what I use the iPad for, it excels at it which is a portable digital portfolio.

Gear List and Feedbacks MM#1909309
"Carpe DM Photography" (external link)
"The goal is to capture that certain moment that would tell its own story...no words required. Still trying." - Carpe DM photos (me)

sponsored links

5,394 views & 0 likes for this thread
iPad 2 Alternative? Dell Duo
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.