Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Mar 2011 (Tuesday) 14:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D to 7D

lmans
202 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 15, 2011 14:21 |  #1

I am a birder and currently have the 40D...which is a great bird camera. It is though only 10mp and that works fine.

The 7D is 18mp.....my question is...since I will ''crop" pictures as I shoot from distances and birds are small, will the extra 8mp that a 7D provides over the 40D essentially equate to having a 1.4 TC? If I crop, the 18mp will allow me to crop and still have better quality, more so than cropping the same image on a 40D? jim

Canon 7D
Canon 400mm F5.6L/Canon 200mm 2.8L/Leica M3/Nikon P310/Swarovski 80ATM HD
http://lmans66.zenfoli​o.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 15, 2011 14:25 |  #2

cropping the same amount on a 7D as a 40D should result in a picture with more detail. However, if you crop a 7D 18MP image to 10MP I don't think the IQ will equate to a 40D ... others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Jason

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,213 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 15, 2011 16:13 as a reply to  @ jase1125's post |  #3

But apart from that, it's correct. A 1.34x teleconverter, to be more exact.
And the image would look better than it would if you enlarged the center of the 40D's image the same, I'm pretty sure (not that I've tried exactly that, even if I have both cameras you are talking about).

Just enlarging the center of the image from the 7D will of course also enlarge all imperfections. But I think in general that the 18 Megapixel images from the 7D allow for quite a lot of enlargement.

Anders

omer
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 15, 2011 17:16 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #4

Apart from the 1.34 factor (1.34^2 = 1.8) - as noted earlier you also get better ISO performance and it may be key for dusk/dawn shots and you get a much better AF system
all in all the 7D is a worthwhile upgrade to your very good 40D

80D | 7D | M6 | 15-85 | 70-300 L | Sig 10-20 | 50 1.8 |100 2.8 macro|28 F2.8 | efs24| efm 15-45| efs 55-250 stm |270EX | 430EXII |

lmans
THREAD ­ STARTER
202 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 15, 2011 19:12 |  #5

Thanks...question answered...No doubt I realize the benefit of...just need cash! jim

Canon 7D
Canon 400mm F5.6L/Canon 200mm 2.8L/Leica M3/Nikon P310/Swarovski 80ATM HD
http://lmans66.zenfoli​o.com/ (external link)

MCB
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 16, 2011 11:10 |  #6

I have both the 40D and 7D. I think the noise you see in the 7D images is much nicer and cleans up better than what you have with the 40D. So after cropping your 7D image down to 10MP, my opinion is that you are left with a better looking image than you get from the 40D.

The smaller, grainier looking noise in the 7D cleans up nicely enough that it feels like you're getting an extra stop or more of ISO as well, so you can crank up your shutter speed a bit more if you like. Keep saving the cash, you won't be disappointed. :)

sponsored links

957 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D to 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.