Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I'm getting scammed

MeNiS
706 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 16, 2011 13:21 |  #31

lesson learned from here: always use a credit card to pay via paypal!!!

I don't get it: paypal say that you won't get your $ back even though the seller acct is frozen and seller can't withdraw the $?? so where is the $$$? looks like paypal is going to keep it? BS!!! YOUR $$$ is out there somewhere... fight with pp to get it back!!

good luck

sponsored links
louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 13:26 |  #32

Yep. I think the lady said that no one gets it. Which probably means PayPal keeps it.

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 16, 2011 13:27 |  #33

Well, it was a gift.....

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

wyofizz
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 16, 2011 13:31 as a reply to  @ Addicted2EOS's post |  #34

Curious as to why you didn't identify who you were dealing with prior to sending money:confused:

Dave - Fuzzy Hashing makes me itch.

bexi20
568 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 16, 2011 13:38 as a reply to  @ wyofizz's post |  #35

sorry to hear this, I'm very curious to see where the money go. I hope you get your money back.

Canon 5D Mark II

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 13:46 |  #36

Curious also. Again, that was my bad. I had just sold my other camera so I was in need real quick. The seller was nice, sent a good description, eBay profile checked out. Who knows. Lessons learned.

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 16, 2011 14:21 |  #37

WOW...dude...
I ain't sending nothing to anyone unless I have a LOT of information about them.
You should have talk to the person on the phone.
Verified residents.
Had them send you a picture of their ID.
Made them get on Skype and show you their license and their real face.
Anything that gives you the power to go to them in person if need be!

I really hope you get your money or your gear man!

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 14:22 |  #38

Thanks brotha

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 16, 2011 14:25 |  #39

Kechar wrote in post #12032425 (external link)
WOW...dude...
I ain't sending nothing to anyone unless I have a LOT of information about them.
You should have talk to the person on the phone.
Verified residents.
Had them send you a picture of their ID.
Made them get on Skype and show you their license and their real face.
Anything that gives you the power to go to them in person if need be!

I really hope you get your money or your gear man!

OR, not used Pay Pal GIFT

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 16, 2011 14:29 |  #40

Addicted2EOS wrote in post #12032452 (external link)
OR, not used Pay Pal GIFT

Oh...I don't think I will ever use that...i'll pay the fees or send a check or something. Give my money away...nopers!

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 16, 2011 14:31 |  #41

louieabellera wrote in post #12031910 (external link)
... Which could mean a couple things. Maybe the seller has been hard at work these past couple days trying to get the issues solved with her account (could explain the lack of communication), and is waiting to send the camera until that's fixed.

It could also mean that someone got a hold of their PP account. Which could make sense. Because earlier when I was talking to the seller, the name was "Eastwood", and the name of the PayPal account was something else. Only right BEFORE I sent the money, did they add the initials to the end of the email. "Eastwood C B". ...

Hold on a second, this could be good news for you.

"to the end of the email?" Do you mean the end of the email address? It sounds like there's a third party involved.

First, have you directly communicated with the holder of the PayPal account? You may have been sending emails to the swindler and the holder of the PayPal account might be also thinking that she is being scammed. Have you sent email directly to the address associated with the PayPal account?

Has PayPal confirmed that your money ended up where you intended it?

PayPal will deny responsibility and may say that they can't release the money back to you but they will assist you, particularly when you let them know that both you and the account holder were victims of fraud. Get your story straight and be nice but persistent with PayPal. They'll probably help you see the matter through.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

net_tech
494 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 16, 2011 14:38 |  #42

it's not clear at this point if seller/scammer got a hold of someone else's account, but if they did, most likely they added a new email address to the profile and removed the old one, so the original OWNER of the paypal account does not know anything

Canon 40D, 24-70 L f/2.8, 70-200 L II f/2.8, 100 L f/2.8 IS, 580EX II x 2
FOR SALE:
Flash Strap | SNOOT

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 16, 2011 14:40 |  #43

I just use regular paypal instead of gift, paypal gift is dangerous and actually violates the paypal agreement.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 14:41 |  #44

They added the initials not to the actual email address, but the name of the email address. It shows up on GMAIL.

I just sent an e-mail to the yahoo account tied to the paypal account. Hopefully if the seller got a hold of the paypal account, he doesnt have access to the email.

ThePwnyExpress
410 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 16, 2011 14:42 |  #45

Bad situation you're in, sorry to hear it. PayPal in general, in my findings, is a shady organization that's rather unhelpful. I got scammed on eBay about 4 years ago and PayPal didn't help me at all when they should have because I followed all of their seller protection guidelines. I sold a brand new Playstation 3 and games and what not, person paid with paypal, i shipped to buyers VERIFIED address. Delivery was confirmed, signature was also obtained at time of delivery. 30 days down the road I get a PayPal dispute from the buyer claiming that someone made an unauthorized purchase with the account. Long and the short of it, PayPal settled in favor of the buyers (scammers) credit card company chargeback. They then debited my PayPal account the $500 some odd dollars and put me that amount negative in my account. So I was out $500 and a Playstation 3, PayPal did not a god damn thing to help me. My account was eventually closed and sent to a collection agency for the alleged $500 that I owed them. I haven't used them since only until recently where I have been using my room mates account for buying/selling camera and RC equipment on the forums.

As for PayPal Gift. Most horrible thing ever IMHO. Just gives scammers an easy to way rip off people that don't know any better about PayPal's policies. I'm ALWAYS willing to accept a 3% surcharge knowing that I (should) be protected in the transaction. I'm still leery of PayPal, and I use their services now with EXTREME caution.

I hope you get your money back, or a camera. Honestly however I wouldn't hold your breath.

Nikon D750 || Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR || Nikon 50mm f/1.8G || Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

32,761 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I'm getting scammed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.