Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I'm getting scammed

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 16, 2011 14:55 |  #46

ThePwnyExpress wrote in post #12032576 (external link)
Bad situation you're in, sorry to hear it. PayPal in general, in my findings, is a shady organization that's rather unhelpful. I got scammed on eBay about 4 years ago and PayPal didn't help me at all when they should have because I followed all of their seller protection guidelines. I sold a brand new Playstation 3 and games and what not, person paid with paypal, i shipped to buyers VERIFIED address. Delivery was confirmed, signature was also obtained at time of delivery. 30 days down the road I get a PayPal dispute from the buyer claiming that someone made an unauthorized purchase with the account. Long and the short of it, PayPal settled in favor of the buyers (scammers) credit card company chargeback. They then debited my PayPal account the $500 some odd dollars and put me that amount negative in my account. So I was out $500 and a Playstation 3, PayPal did not a god damn thing to help me. My account was eventually closed and sent to a collection agency for the alleged $500 that I owed them. I haven't used them since only until recently where I have been using my room mates account for buying/selling camera and RC equipment on the forums.

As for PayPal Gift. Most horrible thing ever IMHO. Just gives scammers an easy to way rip off people that don't know any better about PayPal's policies. I'm ALWAYS willing to accept a 3% surcharge knowing that I (should) be protected in the transaction. I'm still leery of PayPal, and I use their services now with EXTREME caution.

I hope you get your money back, or a camera. Honestly however I wouldn't hold your breath.

Stories like the above just seem crazy to me, because it makes me wonder why any of us use PayPal. Is that within PayPal's rules? Sure seems like you did everything perfectly as a seller. Why would you bear the expense?

sponsored links
ThePwnyExpress
410 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 16, 2011 14:59 |  #47

mpix345 wrote in post #12032663 (external link)
Stories like the above just seem crazy to me, because it makes me wonder why any of us use PayPal. Is that within PayPal's rules? Sure seems like you did everything perfectly as a seller. Why would you bear the expense?

That's my point exactly. I've tried to appeal the case about 6 times with PayPal and they are completely unwilling to even listen. But you can see why I'm very gunshy of PayPal.

Nikon D750 || Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR || Nikon 50mm f/1.8G || Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD
flickr (external link)

moeronn
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 16, 2011 15:02 |  #48

You sold a 5D mkII to buy a 5Dc, right? Did you see any pictures of the 5Dc that you were buying? Did you get any information to verify that the seller actually had something to sell you?

I'm not saying you deserved to be scammed, because no one does, but it seems like you did very, very little to prevent getting scammed. Thankfully, I have had only good experiences buying and selling on POTN and FM, but you have to do some due dilligence and research who you are dealing with. Anyone who only has ebay feedback and their ebay user ID does not match their POTN ID (or at least be somewhat related) would immediately raise a red flag.

flickr (external link)

net_tech
494 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 16, 2011 15:07 |  #49

Very similar story to ThePwnyExpress'

A buddy of mine sold his cell phone on ebay & shipped to a verified address. 7 days later got a charge back from paypal. Looked up the address where he shipped the package on google maps, turned out to be a cemetery. I was joking, trying to find out from him what grave the cell phone was delivered to, but apparently paypal helped him out he got his money back in a month or so...

Canon 40D, 24-70 L f/2.8, 70-200 L II f/2.8, 100 L f/2.8 IS, 580EX II x 2
FOR SALE:
Flash Strap | SNOOT

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 16, 2011 15:20 |  #50

Don't use PayPal Gift, unless it's, well, a gift. YOU are the one scamming PayPal out of the fees that you agreed to when you signed up.

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 15:24 |  #51

yep.

Cam101
615 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 16, 2011 15:31 |  #52

Having read through the entire thread, i'm not entirely convinced this is a scam yet. Granted, there is a dispute with the seller's account, but it could very well be that the seller has simply been lazy on the shipping and unacceptably slow with communication.

It's not looking good.. but there is a slight glimmer of hope...

Canon R5
Canon Lenses: RF 70-200 f/2.8L | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro | MP-E 65mm Macro
RRS TVC-34L MkII | RRS BH55 and Anvil-30

barkingspud
511 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 16, 2011 15:33 |  #53

mpix345 wrote in post #12032663 (external link)

They does sound crazy. I've been a Paypal customer and considered one of their "Top Customers" since 2002 or so and have NEVER experienced any problems related to either buying or selling.

One of the only issues I had was related to someone getting into my iTunes account and charging over $450. I contacted iTunes and PayPal and was refunded my money in full within 5 days. That wasn't a PayPal problem specifically but they were my payment source. Needless to say, I don't have my iTunes account linked to ANY payment source now. Lesson learned.

AskedForIt
48 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 16, 2011 16:05 |  #54

ThePwnyExpress wrote in post #12032576 (external link)
30 days down the road I get a PayPal dispute from the buyer claiming that someone made an unauthorized purchase with the account. Long and the short of it, PayPal settled in favor of the buyers (scammers) credit card company chargeback.

There is the issue. Paypal will not fight CC chargebacks. Funding Paypal via CC only protects the buyer. I will not accept payment funded by CC through Paypal for large transactions.

Sorry this has happened to you Louie. My best advice for the future is always ask the seller for a phone number. Anyone legit will have no problem talking on the phone. Do this for Ebay also. I usually just send my # and address, and in fact regret that I forgot to when we did business (although our transaction was small). Good luck buddy.

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,579 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 16, 2011 16:15 |  #55

moose10101 wrote in post #12030967 (external link)
The fact that they used their actual eBay ID is your only glimmer of hope. A scammer could just as easily pick out any eBay ID with good feedback and say, "That's me".

It could be an ebay account that he has "acquired" access to. If this is a scam, the person responding via ebay may not be the original person on the account.

Edit: Oh, this thread has four pages!

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

acroberts
60 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 16, 2011 16:16 |  #56

I'm pretty new to POTN, but I was floored to see 90% of the gear for sale ads listed with PayPal Gift as the preferred payment option. To buy something at an (ahem) 3% discount you save paying gift versus regular PayPal is just not worth the potential anxiety and loss.

Best of luck getting your gear, man.

X100s | 50D | XTi | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.8

tjketa
367 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 16, 2011 16:49 |  #57
bannedPermanent ban

AskedForIt wrote in post #12033042 (external link)
There is the issue. Paypal will not fight CC chargebacks. Funding Paypal via CC only protects the buyer. I will not accept payment funded by CC through Paypal for large transactions.

Out of curiosity, how do you know if the PP transaction is funded by a CC or not, as a seller?

Tom

Gear: 7D, 5D Mk II, 17-55mm f/2.8, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/4L IS

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 16, 2011 17:07 as a reply to  @ acroberts's post |  #58

When it comes to PAY PAL- the BUYER is not out anything!! The SELLER is expected to pay that 3% fee from his EARNINGS from his sale!! Prices for SALE should include the 3% in the asking price. I prefer United States Postal Service Money Orders my self, most especially for any large amount. Interstate mail fraud warrants federal marshals and a postal inspector showing up at the address if fraud is suspected. It isn't foolproof but as close to it as it gets! I'll take the postal inspector and federal marshals over a very sad lady on the telephone - any day!!

Pay Pal GIFT is a SCAMMERS dream! It is perfect for scamming since as has been stated here you are making the scammer a GIFT of your money and expecting nothing in return!!

For large sums of money a clear and in focus picture WITH ID plainly displayed wouldn't seem out of line to me. My other red flags get raised when a seller has a sale of high quality camera and equipment for sale but takes the pictures with a blurry cell phone!!
Give me a break! Also if a seller is really interested in doing "business" he/she will have their "PROFILE" filled out. People hide their identity for a reason and it usually isn't good.

People are rarely "cavalier" with their money in person so I just do not get why they are so flippant about "GIVING" it away online!

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 16, 2011 17:10 |  #59

AskedForIt wrote in post #12033042 (external link)
I will not accept payment funded by CC through Paypal for large transactions.

Huh? How do you know where the buyers money is being sourced from?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

AskedForIt
48 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 16, 2011 18:11 |  #60

fotoworx wrote in post #12033425 (external link)
Huh? How do you know where the buyers money is being sourced from?

Upgraded accounts have the option to only accept payment with account balance or bank transfer. Non upgraded accounts can simply ask for eCheck.

sponsored links

33,003 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I'm getting scammed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.