Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
pixiepearls
I do bad things in the dark
3,061 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 16, 2011 16:05 |  #1126

Yeah the D7000 is lightyears better in body build then the D80... which I imagine is similar to the D90. The D7000 rocks but people keep seeming to mistake it for a pro camera. I use it for pro jobs, but I don't think it's classed to be that, it seems like more top of the line consumer, or medium pro-sumer. I think a lot of pro's are getting it as backup because it happens to be new tech (new meter system/sensor) and the dual card slots is highly ideal for pro shooters, you can't get that on a D700 right now!

Brandy 500px (external link)
I ♥ my 5D TF'd March '11
DARKROOM CHEMIST BLOG (external link) - My Dad's Pix (external link)

sponsored links
vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,923 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Mar 16, 2011 16:08 |  #1127

KenjiS wrote in post #12029882 (external link)
So the other day i finally got to feed my curiosity and got to mess around with a D7000 for a bit...I was...a bit underwhelmed to be honest

Its not a bad camera but it certainly wasnt what i was expecting, i think the biggest thing that stuck out was the build quality just didnt "feel" as good as i expected it to, I thought it would be more D300s than D3100....heck something about it made me even think the D90 felt a bit more sturdy...

The AF was quick though, i liked the handling and it seemed to be a really good camera, didnt get to do TOO much with it but still..finally got to answer the nagging curiousity in the back of my head that No, I probubly wouldnt have been that happy with the D7000 over my 7D

Kenji the market of the D7000 is not the 7D but the 60D. The D300s is the direct competitor to the 7D and would meet the feel of build quality the D7000 lacks.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

Southswede
950 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 16, 2011 16:36 |  #1128

peterbj7 wrote in post #12030540 (external link)
Which seems to be a while in coming.....

Yeah.....but I'm betting it will be well worth the wait.....

340 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 16, 2011 17:23 |  #1129

Southswede wrote in post #12033223 (external link)
Yeah.....but I'm betting it will be well worth the wait.....

I'm counting on it

7D

londonandlawson
511 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 16, 2011 18:13 |  #1130
bannedPermanent ban

I am not a biased nutthuger for either company so I have no loyalties, I have decide my next camera will be the t1i, t2i or the d3100. Which one and why? Video is not important to me.

My 550 EX Speedlite is for sale, pm me!
My heatware
http://heatware.com/ev​al.php?id=21421 (external link)
http://myworld.ebay.co​m/mclldavidson (external link)

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 16, 2011 18:16 |  #1131

londonandlawson wrote in post #12033772 (external link)
I am not a biased nutthuger for either company so I have no loyalties, I have decide my next camera will be the t1i, t2i or the d3100. Which one and why? Video is not important to me.

Well if you have no prior investment in lenses, flashes or other dedicated attachments then you do indeed have a free choice. Most of us who've been in the game for a while have a significant investment in one camp or the other, and changing camp would be a costly move.

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

jetta-the-hut
capital "Stuck"
3,578 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 16, 2011 23:05 |  #1132

londonandlawson wrote in post #12033772 (external link)

then why buy any of the above, look for a d200,30d or 40d. i dont think i could could ever go back to a t1i or use a d90 just because of the size and build factor.

i guess if i didnt know anything about the above mentioned i would say t2i or the d3100 but the pricing in the 2 is a good jump.

things that i was looking at,Cost of lens,cost of bodies,resale values, FPS rate and ease of use.

MP means nothing to me, obviously since i went from 15.1 to 10.2.

Canon has the famed "L" glass and from what i've seen Nikon just has some pro lens that are high priced but aren't labeled like canon glass.

medium telephoto range,prime range, and zooms are almost evenly priced between the 2 companies. you need to sit down and decide what you are mostly going to be shooting,portrait,land​scape,nature,macro ect...

Aren
Canon 6d w/24-105 f/4 L
<< Life "Member"

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 17, 2011 07:23 |  #1133

The 3100 is suuuper light weight, great if you're going hiking or anything like that.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

pixiepearls
3,061 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 17, 2011 16:56 |  #1134

jetta-the-hut wrote in post #12035477 (external link)
Canon has the famed "L" glass and from what i've seen Nikon just has some pro lens that are high priced but aren't labeled like canon glass.

A lot of Nikon people view that red ring as "bling" and more like screaming "i'm a pro I swear" and love that nikon does NOT have red rings, nikon actually has a gold badge on their most expensive and "pro" glass. For example the 85 1.4D vs the G. One looks very old school and is $900, and the "pro" one has the nano coating and gold badge and is $1700 or something.

Nikon glass seems to cost a bit more for whatever reason. Some argue they like canon glass better, others argue they like nikon, most people agree the nikon 24-70 is better, and canon has the coveted 50L which nikon does not offer. At the end of the day it's all the same. I like the red ring on the canon's, because I'm too lazy to figure out which lens is pro and which is not, from a usability standpoint I like that.

Took this friday morning 8am, D7000

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5174/5535297341_bd8b09fcd4_b.jpg

I ♥ my 5D TF'd March '11

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 17, 2011 17:19 |  #1135

vipergts831 wrote in post #12033059 (external link)
Kenji the market of the D7000 is not the 7D but the 60D. The D300s is the direct competitor to the 7D and would meet the feel of build quality the D7000 lacks.

Ai yah I know this but on paper the D7000 certainly seems like it was aiming for the 7D more than the 60D... the frame rate, 100% viewfinder, AF and etc are definately not 60D-ish to me....(And on that manner i did finally get to handle the 60D and was impressed by it because i was expecting a tarted up rebel!)

Its kinda an interesting hybrid of sorts to me, its got the guts and iamgw quality to go for the 7D but not the build

Before the 7D came out the D300 was the camera i lusted for, I spent a lot of time toying with one and considering the purchase until Canon launched the 7D and finally gave me a camera i could be happy with ;)

I am wondering what the D400 is going to bring to the table, Perhaps 10 fps shooting speed with an external grip? 7 without? ;) Improved 51 point AF? I bet it will have even better high ISO than the D7000 which is already not that shabby in that department (From what i understand roughly 1 stop better over the 60D and that)

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 17, 2011 17:20 |  #1136

pixiepearls wrote in post #12039915 (external link)
A lot of Nikon people view that red ring as "bling" and more like screaming "i'm a pro I swear" and love that nikon does NOT have red rings, nikon actually has a gold badge on their most expensive and "pro" glass. For example the 85 1.4D vs the G. One looks very old school and is $900, and the "pro" one has the nano coating and gold badge and is $1700 or something.

Nikon glass seems to cost a bit more for whatever reason. Some argue they like canon glass better, others argue they like nikon, most people agree the nikon 24-70 is better, and canon has the coveted 50L which nikon does not offer. At the end of the day it's all the same. I like the red ring on the canon's, because I'm too lazy to figure out which lens is pro and which is not, from a usability standpoint I like that.

Took this friday morning 8am, D7000

QUOTED IMAGE

Gorgeous shot

pixiepearls
3,061 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 17, 2011 18:54 |  #1137

I ♥ my 5D TF'd March '11

jetta-the-hut
capital "Stuck"
3,578 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 17, 2011 19:23 as a reply to  @ pixiepearls's post |  #1138

28mm is gone, just got a 55-200mm vr if-ed dx i'll see how it does in Atlanta. If its good i'll keep it if not it'll go.

wish i had the money for the 55-300 Vr :rolleyes:

Aren
Canon 6d w/24-105 f/4 L
<< Life "Member"

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 18, 2011 02:06 as a reply to  @ jetta-the-hut's post |  #1139

http://a.img-dpreview.com …pad2/images/gro​upshot.jpg (external link)

^- i like that setup i must admit

jetta-the-hut
capital "Stuck"
3,578 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 18, 2011 06:24 |  #1140

KenjiS wrote in post #12042313 (external link)
http://a.img-dpreview.com …pad2/images/gro​upshot.jpg (external link)

^- i like that setup i must admit

all except the duct tape over the flash:(

Aren
Canon 6d w/24-105 f/4 L
<< Life "Member"

sponsored links

770,695 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.