Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I'm getting scammed

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 16, 2011 18:14 |  #61

AskedForIt wrote in post #12033752 (external link)
Upgraded accounts have the option to only accept payment with account balance or bank transfer. Non upgraded accounts can simply ask for eCheck.

Whats an "upgraded account" ?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

sponsored links
snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 16, 2011 18:20 |  #62

I'm holding out hope that you receive a tracking number and a camera soon to follow. If not, really sorry for your loss.

I just sold a 7D to a guy with exactly 1 post here. He really too a leap of faith not knowing me or POTN in general for that matter. He sent the money and received a camera in better condition than he imagined.

Things USUALLY work out. Again, all the best to you for a successful resolution.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

AskedForIt
48 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 16, 2011 18:25 |  #63

fotoworx wrote in post #12033774 (external link)
Whats an "upgraded account" ?

Paypal has 3 account types, Personal, Premiere, and Business. You can find more information here.........

www.paypal.com (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 16, 2011 18:28 |  #64

Is PayPal still a mandatory option that a seller has to offer a buyer?

Edit: I have a Premier account

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

jiddle
298 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 16, 2011 18:40 |  #65

Man, i just read your other scam thread from 2009.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=687273

i hope this one works out for you somehow, i feel your pain!

5dmkiii | 17ts-e | 35L | 50L | 90ts-e | 135L | flickr (external link)

fibrepunk
461 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 16, 2011 18:47 |  #66

Move to:

1) Amazon Payment
2) Chase QuickPay
3) Don't do gift on anything, say over $100 on Paypal
- Use Credit Card as source

My Gears l HeatWare (external link)
- For Sale: Broken cameras for CLP

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 16, 2011 18:55 |  #67

fibrepunk wrote in post #12033988 (external link)
Move to:

Or whatever you are comforatble with LOSING.

I am a cheapskate sometimes and i know that it is worth 3% difference on my part for the piece of mind. I don't know why people gamble that 3% difference.

Sorry to hear what happened but honestly you have been scammed before from the link above, shouldn't you of known how to deal with something like this before?

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

vsantos
24 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 16, 2011 19:27 |  #68

fibrepunk wrote in post #12033988 (external link)
Move to:

1) Amazon Payment
2) Chase QuickPay

Is there some kind of protection using either Amazon Payment or Chase QuickPay? I briefly looked over QuickPay, and it doesn't seem to be any different than PayPal gift.

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 16, 2011 19:32 |  #69

vsantos wrote in post #12034245 (external link)
Is there some kind of protection using either Amazon Payment or Chase QuickPay? I briefly looked over QuickPay, and it doesn't seem to be any different than PayPal gift.

Nope. If you don't pay with a CC, you have a high probability of being cheated with minimal to no recourse.

My Gearlist

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 16, 2011 19:38 |  #70

AskedForIt wrote in post #12033042 (external link)
There is the issue. Paypal will not fight CC chargebacks. Funding Paypal via CC only protects the buyer. I will not accept payment funded by CC through Paypal for large transactions.

Sorry this has happened to you Louie. My best advice for the future is always ask the seller for a phone number. Anyone legit will have no problem talking on the phone. Do this for Ebay also. I usually just send my # and address, and in fact regret that I forgot to when we did business (although our transaction was small). Good luck buddy.

The problem with that is that most people give buyer's advice to use their CC so they have protection.

I still go back to thinking if PayPal is so bad then we'd be using the other services that are available. What gives?

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 16, 2011 19:55 |  #71

Yeah, sigh. That's why I've began selling on here more than on e-bay. If someone only has one or two posts I don't reply to their PMs. Especially the funny part is people with 1 post asking if something is available that is clearly marked as "sold". When using paypal for sales on ebay, have only a bank account that isn't used for anything else associated with your paypal. Immediately transfer the money to another account. That way a scammer can't get paypal to steal your money. If paypal tries to rip you off, document everything and if it goes to collections they'll hafta sue you to get anything, if you were clearly ripped off you'll easily win the suit (or the collection agency, who usually aren't stupid, won't even try once they see it).

Much better to deal with well established members here, though. No stress, everybody wins, you don't pay ebay fees either. I have had only 100% positive dealings with folks here in the sale forums. Offer a good price, document your item accurately, post clear photos, and be honest. Then you'll get plenty of well established people wanting to buy your items. Then deliver on your promises and most importantly *communicate*. If someone has only one or two posts and just joined up, don't reply to their PMs..no need to be rude or accuse them of anything, just simply ignore them and sell to (or buy from) established folks with a track record here--we have a great community here. Anyway, I hope it works out for you OP!

amanathia.zenfolio.com

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 16, 2011 20:04 as a reply to  @ mpix345's post |  #72

Pay Pal is convenient. But that convenience cuts both ways. The "GIFT" option is in place so that people that use Pay Pal have the ability to give money to charities or non profit organizations or to family and friends without "charge" to the receiving party. Imagine the "press" that Pay Pal would get if there were no such option in place and everyone that contributed to the Red Cross for disaster relief in Japan found that Pay Pal was skimming 3% off the top!! LOL!!

What things are INTENDED to do and what they are actually used for are usually two different things and in this case that is very true. Pay Pal was developed solely as a easy way to exchange money for goods on ebay. Period. It has developed into a it's own entity now and has begun to revamp it's "rules". The "buyer protection" plan now extends beyond ebay purchases as does the "significantly not as advertised" rules. That being said I think it is also why Pay Pal does NOT want to instigate actions in "GIFT" cases. They will usually attempt to see if there is any other irregularity or problem to act on but as a general rule once you give a "GIFT" it is gone.

I truly hope that there is a problem with the account in question as this really helps PP to get into the situation. If the account is hacked then there is a good chance the money will NOT be removed and MIGHT be returned by the original account owner.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

MGW172
503 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 16, 2011 20:11 |  #73

Hillbille wrote in post #12033414 (external link)
Interstate mail fraud warrants federal marshals and a postal inspector showing up at the address if fraud is suspected. It isn't foolproof but as close to it as it gets! I'll take the postal inspector and federal marshals over a very sad lady on the telephone - any day!!

Good luck getting a Marshal or Postal Inspector to investigate anything with the values we are talking about here. You would have better luck with local authorities.....maybe.

7D | 20D | Canon 10-22 | Canon 15-85 | Canon 70-300 L | Canon 100-400 L

fibrepunk
461 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 16, 2011 20:38 |  #74

vsantos wrote in post #12034245 (external link)

Is why at the bottom, I listed "Use credit card as source." Always use credit card as the source to pay for your stuffs when possible.

My Gears l HeatWare (external link)
- For Sale: Broken cameras for CLP

ThePwnyExpress
410 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 16, 2011 21:51 |  #75

barkingspud wrote in post #12032870 (external link)
They does sound crazy. I've been a Paypal customer and considered one of their "Top Customers" since 2002 or so and have NEVER experienced any problems related to either buying or selling.

One of the only issues I had was related to someone getting into my iTunes account and charging over $450. I contacted iTunes and PayPal and was refunded my money in full within 5 days. That wasn't a PayPal problem specifically but they were my payment source. Needless to say, I don't have my iTunes account linked to ANY payment source now. Lesson learned.

I was a customer since 2000 and probably had invested over $10,000 in fees with them when they decided to just say screw you and pretend like I was nobody.

Nikon D750 || Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR || Nikon 50mm f/1.8G || Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

27,409 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I'm getting scammed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.