Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I'm getting scammed

ThePwnyExpress
410 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 16, 2011 21:59 |  #76

mpix345 wrote in post #12034302 (external link)
The problem with that is that most people give buyer's advice to use their CC so they have protection.

I still go back to thinking if PayPal is so bad then we'd be using the other services that are available. What gives?

We would be plain and simple in my opinion IF there were another option that was as popular as PayPal. Who uses Amazon Checkout? No one. Who uses Google Cart or whatever? No one. Who uses QuickPay? No one. Who uses PayPal? Everyone.

Another thing to know here is that PayPal is not a bank and is not held to any kind of fair banking standards that a real bank would be. That's how PayPal randomly holds peoples money for months without a legit reason to make some quick interest. I used to run a large online forum and I would receive roughly $100-200 a week in donations from the members. PayPal froze all of my funds for 2 months for "suspicious account activity" due to the large amount of donations that I received at that account. No explanation or proof was good enough for PayPal to unfreeze the funds until they had made their $$$ off of MY money that had already had fees paid on it.

I absolutely despise PayPal.

Nikon D750 || Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR || Nikon 50mm f/1.8G || Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
net_tech
494 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 16, 2011 22:03 |  #77

ThePwnyExpress wrote in post #12035058 (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.paypalsucks.com/graphics/PPS-Cartoon1.gif

Edit: sourced from paypalsucks.com i should add

Canon 40D, 24-70 L f/2.8, 70-200 L II f/2.8, 100 L f/2.8 IS, 580EX II x 2
FOR SALE:
Flash Strap | SNOOT

ThePwnyExpress
410 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 16, 2011 22:04 |  #78

net_tech wrote in post #12035092 (external link)
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

That's more accurate than it is comedic... :evil:

Nikon D750 || Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR || Nikon 50mm f/1.8G || Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD
flickr (external link)

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 16, 2011 22:10 |  #79

I'll tell you what, I have like three or four different email addresses that I use for various things. I usually use a different one for paypal than I do for this forum and others.

All said, I won't be using paypal gift anymore even though I've purchased from reputable sellers on FM. Hope this turns out okay for you.

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

elguapo
348 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 16, 2011 22:14 |  #80

ThePwnyExpress wrote in post #12035058 (external link)
We would be plain and simple in my opinion IF there were another option that was as popular as PayPal. Who uses Amazon Checkout? No one. Who uses Google Cart or whatever? No one. Who uses QuickPay? No one. Who uses PayPal? Everyone.

Another thing to know here is that PayPal is not a bank and is not held to any kind of fair banking standards that a real bank would be. That's how PayPal randomly holds peoples money for months without a legit reason to make some quick interest. I used to run a large online forum and I would receive roughly $100-200 a week in donations from the members. PayPal froze all of my funds for 2 months for "suspicious account activity" due to the large amount of donations that I received at that account. No explanation or proof was good enough for PayPal to unfreeze the funds until they had made their $$$ off of MY money that had already had fees paid on it.

Happened to me too. I agree with you 100%.

Love without truth is hypocrisy; Truth without love is brutality.

net_tech
494 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 16, 2011 22:15 |  #81

I have sent PMs to POTN admins asking to provide the IP address of the scammer, but was told that information is not released to anyone without a subpoena.

If the scammer logged in to POTN from a home computer there is a way to hunt him/her down.

Canon 40D, 24-70 L f/2.8, 70-200 L II f/2.8, 100 L f/2.8 IS, 580EX II x 2
FOR SALE:
Flash Strap | SNOOT

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 22:18 |  #82

jiddle wrote in post #12033941 (external link)
Man, i just read your other scam thread from 2009.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=687273

i hope this one works out for you somehow, i feel your pain!

Haha, yeah. This also sucked, but I ended up getting my cheap lenses back. I guess he just wanted to rent some lenses over the weekend and didnt want to pay fees.

vinnie6756
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 16, 2011 22:19 |  #83

Damn it...I feel I could have prevented this!! I just got done dealing with this jackass the other day. I put out a WTB for a 1D Mark IV and Eastwood C B contacted me using an email through gmail (alhudeast at gmail.com). Anyway, I was browsing eBay before he contacted me and I came across a gentleman that was selling a 1D Mark IV and he had 4 images in his auction. I saved it and moved on. When I returned to POTN, I had a PM stating that Eastwood C B had a 1D IV for sale for $4150...seemed like a legit price. However, I noticed that he had never posted on the forum so I asked him for some proof of feedback and some images and directed him to my gmail account instead of my personal home account. Within an hour, he had sent me four images and a profile from eBay with 68 feedbacks @ 100% but the last feedback was back in 2009. Anyway, my gut feeling got the best of me and I decided to back out...not realizing I just saw these images on eBay!!

Again, off I went back to eBay. On eBay, I found myself back at the auction where the gentle had uploaded 4 images...low and behold, the images were identical to the ones that Eastwood sent me but since I decided not to deal with Eastwood, I decided to delete the emails from him.

So, to confirm my ever growing suspicions, I sent him another email asking him to resend the images as for some reason I lost the original ones. He did within an hour and I knew that I would have been scammed. Anyway, I decided to have some fun with him by asking where he was from. He stated he was from Flagstaff...the eBay auction person was from West Virginia!!

Below is the last email he received from me and I never received anything more from him!!

"Flagstaff...I have a good friend that lives in Sedona! He is the Chief of Police...you may know him, his name is Joe Vernier. We've been good friends since we were in High School. In fact, I was thinking about coming down that way in a month or so because the scenery is so beautiful and it is a photographers paradise. Anyway, before we move any further on this, I need you to clear up one thing for me. Can you explain to me why your images look exactly like the ones I have linked here (external link)? And if you are from Flagstaff and the auction person here (external link) is from Virginia Beach, one of you are a fraud...which one is it? Also, in case you missed it, each link is a different auction but the images are the same as yours!! There is something wrong here and I would like to clear this up"!!

So OP...for what it is worth, I'm truly sorry I didn't post something about him on here. I just figured that if he wasn't smart enough to scam me, there was no way this ass was going to get any one else. We really need to have a thread start with names of known scammers!!

Again, I'm truly sorry you got taken!

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 16, 2011 22:23 |  #84

barkingspud wrote in post #12032870 (external link)
They does sound crazy. I've been a Paypal customer and considered one of their "Top Customers" since 2002 or so and have NEVER experienced any problems related to either buying or selling.

One of the only issues I had was related to someone getting into my iTunes account and charging over $450. I contacted iTunes and PayPal and was refunded my money in full within 5 days. That wasn't a PayPal problem specifically but they were my payment source. Needless to say, I don't have my iTunes account linked to ANY payment source now. Lesson learned.

I find this amusing. Why someone would go the route of stealing your account/payment information to buy $450 worth of legal music... couldn't they just pirate the music without bothering to screw you over?

My Gearlist

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 16, 2011 22:28 |  #85

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12035236 (external link)
I find this amusing. Why someone would go the route of stealing your account/payment information to buy $450 worth of legal music... couldn't they just pirate the music without bothering to screw you over?

I don't own any Apple products, but my understanding is that itunes account can be used for many other things besides music purchases.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

ken_vs_ryu
539 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 16, 2011 22:29 |  #86

did you pay credit card or was it from the bank?

http://google-black.blogspot.com (external link)

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 16, 2011 22:33 |  #87

ken_vs_ryu wrote in post #12035284 (external link)
did you pay credit card or was it from the bank?

louieabellera said he used his PP balance. PP balance + PP gift = worst possible combo in terms of protection from fraud.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 22:37 |  #88

Vinnie! Nooooooooo.

That's funny though. I was just at a point on Sunday night thinking "oh man, I just sold my camera, and now I have zero cameras. I need one asap" and pulled the trigger. I definitely had some weird feelings in my gut before I sent the money. Should've went with my gut!

Somebody should just take my money from me to keep me from doing these things.

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 22:40 |  #89

Ok not really that funny.

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 16, 2011 22:47 |  #90

louieabellera wrote in post #12035327 (external link)
Somebody should just take my money from me to keep me from doing these things.

I'll be first in line.

Try to escalate the case with PayPal, $1k is certainly worth fighting for. PayPal can certainly reverse the transaction esp. considering that the scammer hasn't had a chance to take the funds out of the PP account.

sponsored links

33,008 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I'm getting scammed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.