Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I'm getting scammed

1life1chance
100 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 16, 2011 22:54 as a reply to  @ post 12031223 |  #91

Register a complaint with the Police, no less. You have exchanged several emails and messages with the scammer, who even has an ebay address. There could be a digital trail (like IP address, etc). Even if he's not caught this time, his ebay will be flagged for further activity. He either has to let go of his 68+ve feedbacks, or change accounts for the sake of cheating for 900 bucks. Again, nobody replaces the cops. Sorry for you, and good luck man...

Regards,
Ani.

5D2 7D 17-40 L 35L 85 1.8 100 L 135 L 300 4L
FEEDBACK 1234
FOR SALE 7D (<1500 Act), 17-40 L

sponsored links
thenextguy
Goldmember
2,579 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 16, 2011 22:56 as a reply to  @ 1life1chance's post |  #92

There's no way that's his ebay account.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

1life1chance
100 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 16, 2011 22:58 |  #93

net_tech wrote in post #12035169 (external link)
I have sent PMs to POTN admins asking to provide the IP address of the scammer, but was told that information is not released to anyone without a subpoena.

If the scammer logged in to POTN from a home computer there is a way to hunt him/her down.

In that case, I think a subpoena needs to be issues...Louie, if you can, do take this route.

FEEDBACK 1234

vinnie6756
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 16, 2011 23:01 |  #94

Hey man...I feel really bad I didn't post something somewhere just to warn others about this jackass! Believe, me, I thought about it but I thought it would have been deleted immediately!!

Anyway...

I really think that we need to have a thread that allows us to discuss our suspicions about some people! However, I'm not sure the mods would allow this!

Again, I'm sorry you got taken!

louieabellera wrote in post #12035327 (external link)
Vinnie! Nooooooooo.

That's funny though. I was just at a point on Sunday night thinking "oh man, I just sold my camera, and now I have zero cameras. I need one asap" and pulled the trigger. I definitely had some weird feelings in my gut before I sent the money. Should've went with my gut!

Somebody should just take my money from me to keep me from doing these things.

vinnie6756
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 16, 2011 23:03 |  #95

thenextguy wrote in post #12035428 (external link)

Correct...I believe he stole or fabricated that as well!!

1life1chance
100 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 16, 2011 23:03 |  #96

thenextguy wrote in post #12035428 (external link)

That's true, too.....what a MF

FEEDBACK 1234

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,579 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 16, 2011 23:04 |  #97

vinnie6756 wrote in post #12035460 (external link)
I really think that we need to have a thread that allows us to discuss our suspicions about some people! However, I'm not sure the mods would allow this!

Yeah, I think the mods have shot this idea down, but maybe it could be done off site somewhere.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 16, 2011 23:06 |  #98

DiMAn0684 wrote in post #12035382 (external link)
I'll be first in line.

Try to escalate the case with PayPal, $1k is certainly worth fighting for. PayPal can certainly reverse the transaction esp. considering that the scammer hasn't had a chance to take the funds out of the PP account.

PayPal is not going to do anything about it since the OP bought merchandise using PP gift in violation of their TOS.

Sorry you were scammed Louie. You have to be very careful of anyone responding to a WTB post here. Do not post your email, have people contact you via PM so you can check their posting history. You probably know this now but I'll say it anyway, never pay for photo gear using PP gift. It violates the PP TOS and as you have found out leaves you with no recourse.

Flickr (external link)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 17, 2011 00:02 as a reply to  @ K6AZ's post |  #99

You always have the option of small claims court and thats about the only option.

First thing you need to do is contact the police to track the person down and you should file a complaint with www.ic3.gov (external link)

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 17, 2011 00:23 |  #100

isoMorphic wrote in post #12035738 (external link)
You always have the option of small claims court and thats about the only option.

First thing you need to do is contact the police to track the person down and you should file a complaint with www.ic3.gov (external link)

Rad. I'll do that tomorrow.

ThePwnyExpress
410 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 17, 2011 05:41 |  #101

isoMorphic wrote in post #12035738 (external link)

Don't you have to have the name/address of someone to file in small claims court?

Nikon D750 || Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR || Nikon 50mm f/1.8G || Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD
flickr (external link)

Mk1Racer
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 17, 2011 08:28 |  #102

OP, sorry you got burned, but this is just one more reason why I will never use PP gift, and why I don't use PP for any transaction over $100 or so. I've had experience where paypal has screwed me. They ruled in my favor on a purchase that I made, but said there were no funds in the seller's account. Yet a month later, I saw the same scammer selling other items (one was what I was supposed to have purchased), w/ the same paypal account. I noticed a couple of people had purchased items from him. I called paypal to inquire why, since they ruled in my favor, they hadn't refunded my money. After much discussion, forwarding of links, etc., the woman at paypal told me that the seller would have to authorize them to remove the funds from the account and refund them to me. WTF? Paypal rules in my favor, yet has to get the sellers approval to refund the money? The woman went on to say that there were no funds in the account at the time they ruled in my favor. So why did they not send the money to me as soon as more funds were in the account? She had no answer for that, and just kept parroting the line about the seller having to authorize the refund. Fortunately it was only ~$50.

There's another case where a seller scammed myself and several others out of significant amount of money (~$5000). Fortunately I was only in for $70. We all got together and filed a complaint w/ the local PD where the seller was from. They ended up arresting him for it. One of the guys and I drove to Virginia to testify. That thief is now cooling his heels in the Virginia State Penal System.

OP, I have a question for you. You said paypal has frozen the account, and that the account holder can't remove funds. Yet they will not refund anything to you. You may a paypal gift, there's no goods that are supposed to be exchanged, so there's no risk of you scamming a seller. Seems they should just refund you the money and let you send your 'gift' via another means (Western Union, USPS MO, etc.). I'm not sure what the deal is there.

Sure, paypal isn't going to do squat for you if you get scammed and are actually scamming them by using the gift option for a payment, but if the paypal account is frozen, and the account owner can't withdraw the funds, I don't see why you can't just say "She needs the money quickly, just refund it to me and I'll wire it to her." I don't see how they can hold 'gift' funds since it's just that, a gift, and not a sale. I guess this is all moot though if you've already confessed to scamming them by using the 'gift' option to pay for goods.

I really don't understand the mods position on the no negative feedback thing. They're worried about 'public lynchings', where the only real consequence is that someone may get their internet feelings hurt. And if it's really just poor communication, it will probably be sorted out in the end. But to mitigate that risk, they're willing to not allow information to be posted that can protect members here from being scammed. Yes, it is the responsibility of both parties involved in a transaction to verify who the other person is, and what they're buying / selling, but it seems to be a case of throwing the baby out w/ the bath water.

If, as the rules state, this site and the admins and mods are not involved in any transactions whatsoever, than that's what it should be, no involvement. Either no feedback whatsoever, or let things sort themselves out on their own.

7D, BG-E7, BGE2x2 (both FS), 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS (FS), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 70-300 f/4-5.6L, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4xTC

net_tech
494 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 17, 2011 09:16 |  #103

Not trying to be funny, but if all options are exhausted and there is no way to get the money back. PayPal Gift is a donation and the OP has proof that he donated. Tax deductable? Maybe…

Canon 40D, 24-70 L f/2.8, 70-200 L II f/2.8, 100 L f/2.8 IS, 580EX II x 2
FOR SALE:
Flash Strap | SNOOT

bexi20
568 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 17, 2011 09:19 |  #104

net_tech wrote in post #12037239 (external link)
Not trying to be funny, but if all options are exhausted and there is no way to get the money back. PayPal Gift is a donation and the OP has proof that he donated. Tax deductable? Maybe…

Good idea.

Canon 5D Mark II

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 17, 2011 09:25 |  #105

Mk1Racer wrote in post #12037033 (external link)
..I really don't understand the mods position on the no negative feedback thing. They're worried about 'public lynchings', where the only real consequence is that someone may get their internet feelings hurt. And if it's really just poor communication, it will probably be sorted out in the end. But to mitigate that risk, they're willing to not allow information to be posted that can protect members here from being scammed. Yes, it is the responsibility of both parties involved in a transaction to verify who the other person is, and what they're buying / selling, but it seems to be a case of throwing the baby out w/ the bath water.

If, as the rules state, this site and the admins and mods are not involved in any transactions whatsoever, than that's what it should be, no involvement. Either no feedback whatsoever, or let things sort themselves out on their own.

I'm with you on these comments. When you look at other systems for feedback - FM jumps to mind - it is simply a matter of leaving your feedback and the other party leaving theirs. It doesn't have to devolve into long argument threads and lynch mobs (that should never be allowed) - just the feedback. And while that is still not perfect (nothing is) it is at least a red flag that will be a tool for buyers and sellers.

If it is a cost thing (FM classifieds are not free) then I can understand why POTN doesn't go that direction. Maybe we need to make concessions for free classifieds. But no one has ever said that AFAIK. Always the same sort of lame comments about avoiding "public lynchings".

sponsored links

33,011 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I'm getting scammed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.