Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Jan 2010 (Friday) 22:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Einstein - Pre Orders !!!

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 10, 2011 22:57 |  #706

This down angle adapter should work. Just add an extension cord.
http://www.cyberguys.c​om …_cross=SEARCH#p​age=page-1 (external link)

sponsored links
TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 10, 2011 23:04 |  #707

Pinto wrote in post #11998998 (external link)
This down angle adapter should work. Just add an extension cord.
http://www.cyberguys.c​om …_cross=SEARCH#p​age=page-1 (external link)

Those work really well. I have a few that I use on location.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Lotto
Goldmember
2,725 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 11, 2011 04:24 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #708

Worked on the Einstein's protective cap last night. It's a bit loose and too long. First I tried couple things around the opening of the cap, including using a small vacuum hose. I can give the fingers better grip, but had a hard time making it clear the heat plate. Any one have better ideas?

Next I sacrificed one of my old caps off a Bees to make it shorter. I saw how Dave F. did his mod, the picture below shows my poor attempt: hacksaw the straight section of the cap off, Epoxy the dome on the base. Still waiting for it to cure before cleaning up the excess glue.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5059/5516615143_e603447306_z.jpg

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 11, 2011 11:18 |  #709

Lotto wrote in post #12000008 (external link)
Worked on the Einstein's protective cap last night. It's a bit loose and too long. First I tried couple things around the opening of the cap, including using a small vacuum hose. I can give the fingers better grip, but had a hard time making it clear the heat plate. Any one have better ideas?

Next I sacrificed one of my old caps off a Bees to make it shorter. I saw how Dave F. did his mod, the picture below shows my poor attempt: hacksaw the straight section of the cap off, Epoxy the dome on the base. Still waiting for it to cure before cleaning up the excess glue.

QUOTED IMAGE

Very nice piece of surgery, Lotto. No way I could have cut my caps down with a hacksaw. I'm incapable of cutting a straight line with a handsaw of any kind.

To cut my caps down, I resorted to a Dremel cutoff wheel mounted in my benchtop drill press:

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5293/5517845382_381c392214_o.jpg

That little drill press was the best $189 I ever spent.

Dave F.

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 11, 2011 11:34 |  #710

Now that is an outstanding use of a drill press. I will have to do this once mine shows up.

I'm a lover of my dremel and I do have access to my father's garage to use his drill press.

Is there really that big of a difference in clearance under the cap? Why wouldn't they just make them shorter to begin with?

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

Sand0r
128 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 11, 2011 12:02 |  #711

Are these units actually available for europe? I'm consedering buying a set of these with the vagabond mini lithium, however I am woried about electrical currency etc...

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 11, 2011 12:10 |  #712

BoneJj wrote in post #12001625 (external link)
Now that is an outstanding use of a drill press. I will have to do this once mine shows up.

I'm a lover of my dremel and I do have access to my father's garage to use his drill press.

Is there really that big of a difference in clearance under the cap? Why wouldn't they just make them shorter to begin with?

The caps can be shortened substantially:

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5094/5399285620_aa3561aa68_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5177/5397130934_46c1b7da35_o.jpg

I shortened the four protective covers for my four Einsteins. Grinding the excess PVC out of drain caps I used as lids for the cut down covers was very tedious. You can see plenty of white PVC shavings in my drill press photo. If I were to do this again, I think I'd adopt Lotto's approach and just cut out a section of the protective cover and epoxy the cut off end to the stump. With the Dremel cutoff wheel in a drill press, the procedure should be very straightforward.

Be aware that Paul Buff has written on his tech forum that new, shorter caps for the Einsteins are in the pipeline. However, no ETA was provided.

Dave F.

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,208 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 11, 2011 14:00 |  #713

Sand0r wrote in post #12001774 (external link)
Are these units actually available for europe? I'm consedering buying a set of these with the vagabond mini lithium, however I am woried about electrical currency etc...

I don't know about any distributors in Europe. you might have to purchase from the source and get it shipped.

but you are in luck, according to their website:

Global Plug–&–Play from 95-260VAC

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

Lotto
Goldmember
2,725 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 11, 2011 16:43 |  #714

Thanks Dave. I couldn't cut perfectly straight either. Usually I would leave 1/8" of the material when using a hacksaw, then finish it off on a bench grinder. I never thought of using the Dremel cutter with a dress press because rotating speed. Your set up is an eye opener. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Bone, the original complain about the cap was that it's 2 inches too tall to fit the old AB bag. The new PCB bag now shipping is about 3" taller.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

kenyee
981 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 11, 2011 18:37 |  #715

Lotto wrote in post #12003377 (external link)
Bone, the original complain about the cap was that it's 2 inches too tall to fit the old AB bag.

FWIW, I have two Einsteins in the old AB bags...there's a slight bulge at the top and I put some bubble wrap at the bottom to protect the LCD. A 7" reflector is stacked on top of the Einstein bulb cover (unmodified) and then the power cord is coiled on top. Seems to work fine but a little snug. It's be pretty much the same fit as an AB w/ that bulb cover mod though :)

Pentax K20D, 77Ltd, 43Ltd, Sigma 17-70, 60-250/4, crapload of Strobist gear (SB28's, RP JrX Studios, Einsteins, WL, Speedo BD, softboxes, grids, etc.)

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 16, 2011 20:02 |  #716

Mine just showed up today, holy hell am I loving this thing!!! now I just need some better stands.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

jffuerte
648 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 17, 2011 09:53 |  #717

Awesome, when was your order date Bone?

-Jerel
Instagram (external link)
Fuerte Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 17, 2011 10:02 |  #718

BoneJj wrote in post #12034409 (external link)
Mine just showed up today, holy hell am I loving this thing!!! now I just need some better stands.

Get a c-stand like the Avenger A2030D with boom arm. (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 17, 2011 11:04 |  #719

jffuerte wrote in post #12037398 (external link)
Awesome, when was your order date Bone?

I ordered like the 22-24th of last month or so. So it was only like 3 1/2 weeks roughly that it took to get mine. Not bad at all, initially they said it was going to be late march or early april. So this was a nice surprise to get the email that it was coming, tomorrow my 47" octa with grid and the 22" HOBD should be here as well. Then it's game on.

ocabj wrote in post #12037453 (external link)
Get a c-stand like the Avenger A2030D with boom arm. (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

I'm actually looking at one of those now, I have been looking at a manfrotto version. Debating on the brand right now basically.

I need to find a good carry case for the Einstein though!

It just needs one, I figure I will use the original box and packing materials for a while though.

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 17, 2011 11:10 |  #720

BoneJj wrote in post #12037815 (external link)
I'm actually looking at one of those now, I have been looking at a manfrotto version. Debating on the brand right now basically.

I need to find a good carry case for the Einstein though!

It just needs one, I figure I will use the original box and packing materials for a while though.

I just use the PCB one-light bag. What I need is a bag to hold 3-4 lights. I'm probably just going to use a gym style bag.

I also need a new bag to hold light stands. I use a baseball bat bag to hold my regular stands, but I end up carrying my c-stand separately.

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

71,589 views & 0 likes for this thread
Einstein - Pre Orders !!!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.