Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I'm getting scammed

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 17, 2011 20:26 as a reply to  @ post 12040903 |  #136

Sorry - make it $1000 - makes no difference really as I was just making an an example. Just pick ANY large ticket item take it down 40 to 50% and watch your account grow in minutes!!

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

sponsored links
K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 17, 2011 20:33 |  #137

Mk1Racer wrote in post #12040897 (external link)
I am inclined to agree w/ that statement, but join date / post count aren't fool proof. I had a deal w/ a guy that was a member here for ~2.5 years, and had 700ish posts, and he never shipped the item. He claimed he did, but offered no proof. Fortunately paypal was able to recover the funds and credit my account.

As the mods/admins suggest, establish alternate means of communication besides posts / PM's on this forum. Especially if it's a large amount of money involved.

As someone else pointed out, the frequency that you see "paypal gift" in the classifieds is somewhat alarming. Personally, I think it says a lot about someone's ethics.

Nothing is absolutely foolproof. I dig farther than just the post count/joined date. There is always some risk when buying from another individual but you can dramatically reduce the risk by doing a little research, using a payment method with some recourse, and not looking for too good to be true 'deals'.

Flickr (external link)

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 17, 2011 20:40 |  #138

K6AZ wrote in post #12041004 (external link)
Nothing is absolutely foolproof. I dig farther than just the post count/joined date. There is always some risk when buying from another individual but you can dramatically reduce the risk by doing a little research, using a payment method with some recourse, and not looking for too good to be true 'deals'.

+1 on that.

Phones are no assurance either. Check to see if the AREA CODE matches the persons location. Why? Because a pay per use phone can be had at Wal-Mart for $15 or so and then just tossed away after. Pay per use phones are extremely rarely sold anywhere near the location of the number associated with them.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 17, 2011 20:43 |  #139

FindUrPath wrote in post #12040387 (external link)
Haven't read the whole thread yet but got to this question and wanted to chime in.

I was scammed on here back in September trying to buy a flash. Similar situation, the seller was super responsive until I sent my payment and then he dropped off the face of the earth.

I sent a Gift payment as well and thought I was SOL. My first step was to contact my bank. The funding source of the PP payment was my debit card. The bank told me that they're hands were tied and that I had to contact PayPal. Great.

So I give PayPal a call. During this ordeal, I noticed on my PayPal account, a message about my account reaching some special status because I have been an active member of PP since 1998. One of the perks is you get routed instantly to a live Premier Support Rep which has been nice because I've never had to hold.

I explained to them the situation and mentioned that the seller insisted on me sending a Gift payment and I asked her exactly what the difference was and why would someone request a Gift payment? Of course I knew but I pretended I didn't. She explained to me why and that you should NEVER send a gift payment for purchases. Well, call it my Get out of Jail Free card. She said that she had to consult with her supervisor for a minute and 3 minutes later she said that she would credit my account back.

She mentioned that the seller has had plenty of time to get back to me(it had been 3 weeks at that point) and that due to me being a longstanding PP member, they are returning the money and did instantly.

I consider that my one and only freebie and I'm not sure if this were to happen again, I would get the same outcome.

This is encouraging. Does this mean I have to wait a little bit longer to ring PayPal up? When I last talked to them, they pretty much believed that I was going to get a camera. Maybe if another week or two passes, they'll realize what's going on.

net_tech
494 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 17, 2011 21:13 |  #140

Hillbille wrote in post #12041042 (external link)
Phones are no assurance either.

Another thing to watch out for is FREE email account like Yahoo, Google, Hotmail. Spammers will never use an account from their ISP like Comcast, Verizon, Roadrunner or At&t because they are easier to track down.

At some point ebay didn’t allow registration with free email accounts unless checking account or CC was provided at the time of ebay registration.

Canon 40D, 24-70 L f/2.8, 70-200 L II f/2.8, 100 L f/2.8 IS, 580EX II x 2
FOR SALE:
Flash Strap | SNOOT

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 17, 2011 21:38 |  #141

net_tech wrote in post #12041205 (external link)
Another thing to watch out for is FREE email account like Yahoo, Google, Hotmail. Spammers will never use an account from their ISP like Comcast, Verizon, Roadrunner or At&t because they are easier to track down.

While I agree with your statement, I only know one person who's using an ISP email. I don't believe I've ever checked mine...

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

thebac
106 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 17, 2011 21:57 as a reply to  @ Hillbille's post |  #142

You've got a few things confused here.

A large portion of the 3% goes towards defraying the fee Paypal has to pay the credit card company. If you're making a charitable donation to the Red Cross using Paypal gift, you'd simply be the person who pays the fee, that's all. Paypal gift is only free to you and the recipient if it comes out of your bank account or from a balance in your Paypal account.

Paypal was not developed as a payment system for Ebay. In fact, Ebay used to have their own competing payment system (Billpoint), but Paypal had/has a dominant position in the online payment market, so Ebay ended up acquiring Paypal.

Hillbille wrote in post #12034420 (external link)
Pay Pal is convenient. But that convenience cuts both ways. The "GIFT" option is in place so that people that use Pay Pal have the ability to give money to charities or non profit organizations or to family and friends without "charge" to the receiving party. Imagine the "press" that Pay Pal would get if there were no such option in place and everyone that contributed to the Red Cross for disaster relief in Japan found that Pay Pal was skimming 3% off the top!! LOL!!

What things are INTENDED to do and what they are actually used for are usually two different things and in this case that is very true. Pay Pal was developed solely as a easy way to exchange money for goods on ebay. Period. It has developed into a it's own entity now and has begun to revamp it's "rules". The "buyer protection" plan now extends beyond ebay purchases as does the "significantly not as advertised" rules. That being said I think it is also why Pay Pal does NOT want to instigate actions in "GIFT" cases. They will usually attempt to see if there is any other irregularity or problem to act on but as a general rule once you give a "GIFT" it is gone.

I truly hope that there is a problem with the account in question as this really helps PP to get into the situation. If the account is hacked then there is a good chance the money will NOT be removed and MIGHT be returned by the original account owner.

Hillbille

Amamba
Goldmember
3,685 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 17, 2011 22:18 |  #143

At some point ebay didn’t allow registration with free email accounts unless checking account or CC was provided at the time of ebay registration.

Ever since I changed my first ISP back in mid-'90s and had to inform everyone about email address change - and still lost a bunch of email, and had no way to recover any mail unless it was downloaded to Eudora - I would not use anything but a free account. This way my email address and all my mail stay with me whenever I change my service provider.

Almost everyone I know uses Yahoo or Gmail addresses. Nobody stays with same ISP for ever.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 17, 2011 22:36 |  #144

Amamba wrote in post #12041587 (external link)
Almost everyone I know uses Yahoo or Gmail addresses. Nobody stays with same ISP for ever.

There seem to be a fair number of people (like myself) on here that have their own domain. I'd say that if they were using one for their communications with you, then they were likely on the up-and-up. I agree that the free services are just too easy to set up for a scammer.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 17, 2011 22:42 |  #145

lazer-jock wrote in post #12041672 (external link)
There seem to be a fair number of people (like myself) on here that have their own domain. I'd say that if they were using one for their communications with you, then they were likely on the up-and-up. I agree that the free services are just too easy to set up for a scammer.

Unfortunately if you cut out everyone who uses Yahoo, Gmail, etc. you will be cutting off a significant percentage of possible trading partners. I have to use Yahoo mail when I travel since most of the ISPs in the country block outgoing email unless it is on their own email server. You used to be able to get around this by using the server of the ISP where you are sending the email but now most of them require a password for outgoing mail.

Flickr (external link)

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 17, 2011 22:51 |  #146

K6AZ wrote in post #12041694 (external link)
Unfortunately if you cut out everyone who uses Yahoo, Gmail, etc. you will be cutting off a significant percentage of possible trading partners. I have to use Yahoo mail when I travel since most of the ISPs in the country block outgoing email unless it is on their own email server. You used to be able to get around this by using the server of the ISP where you are sending the email but now most of them require a password for outgoing mail.

Actually, I have my domain set to forward my mail to gmail, and I have gmail set to show my main email via my domain as my reply-to address. It is the best of both worlds (as long as Google doesn't accidentally delete my account like it did to those other people a few weeks back :p). I should also say that I will personally trade with people through free email services as long as I don't hit any red flags for the deal. Asking a lot of questions (the right questions) has kept me in good shape so far in my dealings, but if someone uses a personal domain, it gives the other party another way of tracking them down in case something goes wrong.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 17, 2011 23:02 |  #147

thebac wrote in post #12041447 (external link)
You've got a few things confused here.

A large portion of the 3% goes towards defraying the fee Paypal has to pay the credit card company. If you're making a charitable donation to the Red Cross using Paypal gift, you'd simply be the person who pays the fee, that's all. Paypal gift is only free to you and the recipient if it comes out of your bank account or from a balance in your Paypal account.

Paypal was not developed as a payment system for Ebay. In fact, Ebay used to have their own competing payment system (Billpoint), but Paypal had/has a dominant position in the online payment market, so Ebay ended up acquiring Paypal.

I have reread my statement several times and I just fail to see where I said anything about a CC or Credit Card backed Pay Pal account. Where was it that I stated that?

Hillbille

chrizramiscal
195 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 17, 2011 23:12 |  #148

OP, im truly sorry for the ordeal and hopefully this gets sorted out in your favor.

I have only joined here not long ago, and it was the first site that i've used paypal gift as a mode of payment to buy high ticket items. before i did send a payment as gift, i always make sure that:

1. i ask for a personal email from the seller, paypal email if different, and also take note of their username. some people use the same username on different websites.
2. i do a search on google or any other search engines on the exact email address, and it should post up results that have that email posted specially on different forums/sites.
3. i look at every site listed on the first page of the result, and see if i can cross reference if the person does exist. normally it would show up on many sites like such as facebook specially if the person is net savvy.
4. if there is little to no "'crumbs" of that person using the email address as paypal payment, i stop right there and move to another person.
5. i also log in to my paypal account and type in "https://www.paypal.co​m/us/verified/pal=" then after the equal sign i insert the paypal address. it will then show if the person is verified paypal user or not.
6. a lot of the people that i buy from, i tend to look for their other post, and see if they have a website and if they are also distinguished or registered photographers anywhere, who will definitely have a website up and possibly have their phone numbers and other email/physical work addresses included.
7. if all checks out, then i continue with the negotiation and only then will i send paypal gift.

whether its $1 or $2000, if i plan to pay as gift, i always go through the above. and lots of times, even if the ticket price is was under $1000, i still wouldn't hesitate adding the 3% for the regular goods sale specially if its for my own insurance.

now, regarding the paypal account being hi-jacked i, too, have been a victim. however it was a quick and painless to get in contact with paypal (other than having to wait till they started the business day) and get everything sorted out, all unauthorized transactions reversed (close to $1000 in charges to some online store/website in china), and get everything back to normal again. so far i will vouch for paypal, and just be sure to be more careful about my transactions.

My Gear and Feedback 

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 17, 2011 23:27 as a reply to  @ Hillbille's post |  #149

Also it should be noted that having a CC linked to your paypal account does NOT give you total protection in all cases. If you SELL something for $5000 through Pay Pal and then make a $2000 purchase as a "gift", the $2000 is NOT protected through your Credit Card because the :money" was already available in your account - no charge was made to your credit card so contacting them won't get you a thing except a nice lady who will be very sympathetic but unable to help you over the phone.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news as Pay Pal does sympathize with it's customers and does do a cursory investigation of the facts and it does sometimes work out. As some of you may have realized by now I have had a little experience with buying and selling online. Both e-bay and forums. Not much here yet - a couple. I have run the gamut though.

The ISP one is as stated not really a good way to judge people as there are a LOT of people that have Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, MSN accounts etc., etc.. I was a Railway Locomotive Engineer. Having a single local ISP didn't work for me - except half the time as the other half of my time I was 300 miles away from that ISP and didn't like the long distance charges to "connect". Yahoo made more sense.

Louie I certainly hope you get your money back.

Hillbille

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 17, 2011 23:38 |  #150

Thanks all. Trying to figure out the best way to go about this in the next couple days. Things arent looking to great.

sponsored links

33,009 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I'm getting scammed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.