Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Mar 2011 (Friday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How have Canon's Warranty Service treated you?"
Repair even for free even out of warranty.
38%
Honored warranty.
54%
Made up excuses and not honor warranty.
8%

150 voters, 150 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BEWARE! Canon Service Center accused me of mishandled and won't honor warranty.

czynot
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 18, 2011 14:03 |  #16

Any drop to cause the lcd to break will show damage on housing. Any pressure to crack LCD will crack housing plastic lcd protector. A Crack LCD WILL still show back light. you will see the crack on lcd once turn on. But OP say no display. This is bad LCD and under warranty. I never seen a Crack LCD with LED backlight without Backlight.
I bet the service guy cracked it when opening the camera and blame it on the user.

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

sponsored links
S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 18, 2011 14:05 |  #17

czynot wrote in post #12045025 (external link)
Any drop to cause the lcd to break will show damage on housing. Any pressure to crack LCD will crack housing plastic lcd protector.
I bet the service guy cracked it when opening the camera and blame it on the user.

Ok, so, get it back, send it over here:
http://www.southernexp​osurecamerarepair.com/​Site/Welcome.html (external link)

See if they'll check it out; probably not more expensive to repair.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 18, 2011 14:06 |  #18

To me, it sounds like it got damaged during shipping. If you shipped it with no cracks and they received it with a crack (one substantial enough that they didn't even have to take it apart to see the breakage) then the shipper probably broke it.

Did you ship it with insurance? I don't think they are accusing you to be malicious but rather, what should they do, they opened the box and it was broken...

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 18, 2011 14:17 |  #19

Looks like the OP has given up. Camera is listed in Marketplace.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 18, 2011 14:36 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

Agent 655 wrote in post #12043656 (external link)
If it is a cracked LCD they can see that from just looking at it in good light. Also about the only way to crack an LCD is to drop it or hit it...

I worked at an electronic repair location for a while and learned that all to often the owner would tend to exagerate how well they took care of the item.... I have seen dozens of cracked laptop screens where the owner would claim how well they took care of it, one time you could make out that the screen still had an imprint of the car keys they left on the keyboard and shut the screen on :)

That being said I would still want to believe you that you never dropped it, so they should be able to prove that it was indeed dropped. Ask to talk to a superisor, and if that doesn't work keep going up the chain. Eventually you will get to someone who agree to have it fixed to get you out of their hair!

Yup, the OP needs to take a shot of the LCD screen and show it here... If it is cracked, it has to be either dropped or being hit by some object. Look, LCD screen does not just crack without any force of impact....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

pasm365
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 18, 2011 15:02 |  #21

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12044484 (external link)
1 year is standard for many, many products. Your view is very unwarranted, IMO. I have used Canon warranty services several times, each time service was great. Sony and Nikon offer 1 year as well. Not sure how their selling practices and warranty periods even play into this issue though?

Read through my reply and think, you will get it.
Which other company offers 1 year warranty for lenses?
Which other company still use 80's overstock lens caps?
Denying warranty is a way to save a few bucks, the pratice a cheapo would do.
From OP's decription, this is a case of denying warranty without examine the camera, hoping the customer will either pay or go away.

40D 70-200 f/4LIS

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 18, 2011 15:15 |  #22

-> In a few countries in Europe 2 years warranty are standard.
On that note, I think Tamron offered 5 years in Germany about 2 years ago. Manfrotto gives you 5 or 4 years with registration if I am not mistaken...
Canon has had to give me 2 years warranty :) same for Sony. (bought in Germany)

Interestingly the most capitalist places will offer a warranty as low as possible... hmm....

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,243 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 18, 2011 15:23 |  #23

pasm365 wrote in post #12045338 (external link)
From OP's decription, this is a case of denying warranty without examine the camera, hoping the customer will either pay or go away.

I think that this is a key point here. With the best will in the world, we only have the OP's side of the story.

XFaega
168 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 18, 2011 16:34 |  #24

If the LCD was damaged during shipping then it was improperly packed. So yes it is the OP fault. You can blame the shipper all you want but if your shipping something of that worth you would want to make sure the camera can servive the most brutal conditions. Every one knows that your box, package, or what ever get thrown around. Also if the LCD did get damaged during shipping the box would of shown physical damage. So Canon would warranty the damaged. Since there was no damage to the box Canonand that is calling user error.

Canon EOS 5D MK II

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,411 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 18, 2011 16:39 |  #25

Perhaps the thing to do is a timestamped photo of the camera just before packing to show its condition.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,137 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 18, 2011 17:27 |  #26

pasm365 wrote in post #12045338 (external link)
Read through my reply and think, you will get it.
Which other company offers 1 year warranty for lenses?
Which other company still use 80's overstock lens caps?
Denying warranty is a way to save a few bucks, the pratice a cheapo would do.

Or maybe, just maybe, it is a case of a bad customer service rep... They do exist working for companies that otherwise have a great track record of customer service.

Btw, Sony and Nikkor lenses have a 1 year warranty. Again, very typical for electronics of this type. I have sent things into Canon 4 times, with nary a hiccup.

With a company of supposed ill repute, why would you buy their products again?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 18, 2011 18:06 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

The LCD screen is not cracked, it was never dropped or hit or pressured ever. It just stopped working one day suddenly.

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Mar 18, 2011 18:42 |  #28

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12046110 (external link)
Btw, Sony and Nikkor lenses have a 1 year warranty. Again, very typical for electronics of this type.

???--every Nikon/Nikkor USA market lens has a 5 year warranty!

From B&H

"Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens for Digital Cameras

• Front & Rear Caps
  • HB-31 Lens Hood
  • Soft Lens Case CL-1120
  • 5-Year Warranty (1-Year International + 4-Year USA Extension) "

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 18, 2011 18:45 |  #29

dave kadolph wrote in post #12046506 (external link)
???--every Nikon/Nikkor USA market lens has a 5 year warranty!

From B&H

"Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens for Digital Cameras
  • Front & Rear Caps
  • HB-31 Lens Hood
  • Soft Lens Case CL-1120
  • 5-Year Warranty (1-Year International + 4-Year USA Extension) "

Remember that not everybody lives in the US.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,137 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 18, 2011 18:46 |  #30

Based on the Nikon Support page, this is what I had found, just depends where you buy them. Standard 1 year, and Canon just doesn't offer the extension, but you can buy your own if so desired. Again, this has ZERO bearing on the issue in this thread, somebody is making a judgment call at whatever Canon facility (was that mentioned btw in the post?), and it seems to be the wrong one.

Nikkor Lenses
Nikkor lenses come with a standard one year warranty and Nikon Inc. lenses sold by authorized Nikon Inc. dealers will have a Nikon Inc. Five Year Extension*.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

19,520 views & 0 likes for this thread
BEWARE! Canon Service Center accused me of mishandled and won't honor warranty.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.