Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 17 Mar 2011 (Thursday) 20:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Daytona 200

calabasher
52 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 17, 2011 20:32 |  #1

Just a couple shots from Daytona 200 last week. Lots of delays but great weather.

John

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

C&C Welcome

sponsored links
kelly ­ andersen
170 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 18, 2011 08:44 |  #2

Man, those are nasty.

Kelly Andersen- Drag Illustrated Magazine

fortisi876
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 18, 2011 20:43 |  #3

^ Real classy and helpful remark..... :rolleyes:

What lens were you using John?
On your next trip out try shooting in shutter priority, it'll be easier to be in the correct 'range' needed to get a sharp images and you definitely want to be shooting at a higher speed. At a minimum, try keeping your shutter speeds at your focal length and up, unless you want to capture the feeling of speed while panning then you could shoot at those slower speeds. Definitely experiment with different settings and see what works best for you.

dabracing
86 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 19, 2011 12:31 |  #4

kelly andersen wrote in post #12043276 (external link)
Man, those are nasty.

It is what it is, I don't think it's offensive to the OP.

5D MK III, 7D, 70-200L f2.8 IS MK II, 24-70L f2.8 MK II, 50mm f1.4, 580EXII

JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 21, 2011 11:11 |  #5

dabracing wrote in post #12050299 (external link)
It is what it is, I don't think it's offensive to the OP.

No, what it is, is crappy criticism.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Look it up.

http://gallerytx.com (external link)
5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain

JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 21, 2011 11:12 |  #6

calabasher wrote in post #12040999 (external link)
Just a couple shots from Daytona 200 last week. Lots of delays but great weather.

John

John, what were your settings on these images? Maybe we can help you get better shots next time. Or, maybe you need a different/better lens?

http://gallerytx.com (external link)
5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain

dabracing
86 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 21, 2011 22:06 |  #7

JTX wrote in post #12062389 (external link)
No, what it is, is crappy criticism.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Look it up.

Nowhere in the OP does it mention anything about CC wanted, he merely posted some shots and they were commented on. I think if one posts their work on here, it it fair game. Now if you or the OP takes offense to it, I think it's on you then. Maybe a bit 'thinskin'.

BTW, read my post, I state "I don't think it's offensive to the OP". You are entitled to your opinions as I am.

t ­ verdier
45 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 22, 2011 01:54 as a reply to  @ dabracing's post |  #8

faster shutter speed for sure. Go outside and shoot cars going by out side, try panning or just freezing the image, they both have a time and a place. your shot of the motocycles for example are coming straight at you so you could freez it with a fast shutter speed. if they were riding sideways to you, you could get some nice panning shots.

7D, 10D, Elan2, 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L IS

t ­ verdier
45 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 22, 2011 02:00 as a reply to  @ t verdier's post |  #9

what was this taken on? is the image zoomed?

7D, 10D, Elan2, 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L IS

calabasher
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 27, 2011 12:08 |  #10

Sorry for the delay, CC is fine. I was on the fence probably not the steadiest platform. I was using a 100-400 at 400 in AV but 320 was way too slow. Thank everyone for their comments.

C&C Welcome

Fureinku
Goldmember
1,339 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 28, 2011 01:00 |  #11

ai servo, tv 1/160-1/200, chose a focus point.. try that next time.. youve missed focus, practice tracking and panning

edit: well, for where you were at, you dont really pan a corner, so indeed, bump that shutter up

Gear List | Wish List |

DWimages
423 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 28, 2011 01:46 |  #12

On shooting motorcycles at a high rate of speed you have a couple of variables to think about. #! Your choice of lenses in this case the 100-400 is to slow to do a decent job especially at Daytona. If you don't have credentials my suggestion would be to rent the biggest glass you can afford and then check out the sight lines at the track and work off that. You can rent glass online here for a reasonable price www.borrowlenses.com (external link) #2 your shutter speed is very important, if you are shooting head on then the optimum speed is 640th. sec at 200 iso. If you are shooting the bikes as they pass you on the straight then you want to pan with your subject start at 640th and work your way down until you are comfortable. Make sure your camera is set to ai servo with the center spot set. The biggest thing about shooting racing is that practice makes perfect. Your shooting digital so shoot as much as you can to improve your selection of keepers. You should also check out some of the pros websites to give you a better idea on what you are trying to create. Here are a few to check out www.automotophoto.com (external link) www.dorancreatives.net (external link) www.brianjnelson.com (external link) If you have questions please feel free to send me an email.

Mike Doran
D&W Images

dabracing
86 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 28, 2011 11:22 |  #13

DWimages wrote in post #12106897 (external link)
On shooting motorcycles at a high rate of speed you have a couple of variables to think about. #! Your choice of lenses in this case the 100-400 is to slow to do a decent job especially at Daytona. If you don't have credentials my suggestion would be to rent the biggest glass you can afford and then check out the sight lines at the track and work off that. You can rent glass online here for a reasonable price www.borrowlenses.com (external link) #2 your shutter speed is very important, if you are shooting head on then the optimum speed is 640th. sec at 200 iso. If you are shooting the bikes as they pass you on the straight then you want to pan with your subject start at 640th and work your way down until you are comfortable. Make sure your camera is set to ai servo with the center spot set. The biggest thing about shooting racing is that practice makes perfect. Your shooting digital so shoot as much as you can to improve your selection of keepers. You should also check out some of the pros websites to give you a better idea on what you are trying to create. Here are a few to check out www.automotophoto.com (external link) www.dorancreatives.net (external link) www.brianjnelson.com (external link) If you have questions please feel free to send me an email.

Mike Doran
D&W Images

Listen to him....he knows what he's talking about.

calabasher
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 28, 2011 13:01 |  #14

Thank everyone, Mike I'll probably take you up on that, thanks again.

John

C&C Welcome

sponsored links

2,517 views & 0 likes for this thread
Daytona 200
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.