Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I'm getting scammed

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,961 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 19, 2011 11:14 |  #211

some people here act like they are Paypal's agents - so if we have a sticky giving a warning about Paypal gift and I have issues with regular paypal then what?

This website is not here to tell you what you should do outside and what not.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

sponsored links
smacatl
Goldmember
1,565 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 19, 2011 11:15 |  #212

Maybe TeamSpeed can add a section to his Thread (which is already a Sticky in this Section) which can address the possible concerns and limitations of using PayPal gift.

The Thread is here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=292688

Adding a paragraph to the first post that explains the differences between regular PayPal and PayPal gift would be keeping with the theme of his original thread (How to be better informed during online purchases).

Just a suggestion.

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
21,013 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 19, 2011 11:17 |  #213

smacatl wrote in post #12049882 (external link)
Maybe TeamSpeed can add a section to his Thread (which is already a Sticky in this Section) which can address the possible concerns and limitations of using PayPal gift.

The Thread is here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=292688

Adding a paragraph to the first post that explains the differences between regular PayPal and PayPal gift would be keeping with the theme of his original thread (How to be better informed during online purchases).

Just a suggestion.

See that is a much better idea. I suggest you send it to TeamSpeed.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,847 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 19, 2011 11:33 |  #214

Haha - A fool and his money will soon part

Addicted2EOS wrote in post #12049836 (external link)
There is a sucker born every minute... fittest!

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

EchoLocation
102 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 19, 2011 11:43 |  #215

ThePwnyExpress wrote in post #12032692 (external link)
That's my point exactly. I've tried to appeal the case about 6 times with PayPal and they are completely unwilling to even listen. But you can see why I'm very gunshy of PayPal.

I can confirm that paypal does screw very legit sellers in situations like this. A situation somewhat similar to this happened to me a few years back where I did everything by the book as a seller and the buyer(scammer) was able to screw me out of both the money and the item. I have over 300 perfect feedbacks on ebay and paypal still did not side with me despite the fact that i followed all of their guidelines.... It was a small amount of money, but I can assure you that paypal is ALL about profit and much less interested in the happiness of their customers.

That being said, although no one deserves to be scammed the OP probably should have done a lot more research before sending the money, and paypal gift should only be used with people you know(from real life) or when the money is a legitimate gift.

P.S. ***MODS:I am a member of the ISS shoe forum, where people discuss Nikes/Jordans, etc, there is a huge buy/sell forum there, where people sell shoes for hundreds of dollars or more all the time. It is required there that all pictures in the buy/sell forum have the sellers name(screen name) written on a piece of paper in EVERY picture. if the name of the seller is not on a piece of paper in the picture, then the sale thread is locked. There is definitely other things that could be done as well, perhaps changes can be made.

Canon 5D, Canon 550D, 24-105 F4L, Sigma 50mm 1.4, 550EX

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 19, 2011 12:00 |  #216

midnight_rider wrote in post #12049847 (external link)
At last check they will not help with any transactions unless they are through Ebay.

Paypal reimbursed me for $980 bucks when a former member attempted to scam me in a transaction right here on POTN a couple years ago.

I was covered because I had the seller send me a money request through Paypal for the amount of the item. I also had the seller include a full description of what he was selling me and when/how it would ship in the "Comments" section of this money request. When I didn't receive the item after a couple weeks, and the seller did not respond to my repeated E-mails, I contacted Paypal. It took a week or two if I remember correctly but Paypal reimbursed me $980 of the $1000 bucks I paid for the item. Paypal has also reimbursed me in two E-bay transactions where the sellers sent me merchandise that was not exactly as described in the listing.

Gear List & Feedback

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,961 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 19, 2011 12:06 |  #217

midnight_rider wrote in post #12049847 (external link)
I have not dealt with paypal in a while because of a few bad experiences with them.

At last check they will not help with any transactions unless they are through Ebay.

I lost all $600 on e-bay when seller decided to go south. If seller really wants to cheat and paypal has to make an effort to recover money - they never do and just send you some sorry e-mails as they did in my case.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 19, 2011 12:13 |  #218

alpha_1976 wrote in post #12050161 (external link)
I lost all $600 on e-bay when seller decided to go south. If seller really wants to cheat and paypal has to make an effort to recover money - they never do and just send you some sorry e-mails as they did in my case.

Sorry you had a bad experience but to say they "Never" recover money is simply not true, several people including myself have had good experiences with Paypal.

Gear List & Feedback

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 19, 2011 12:15 |  #219

@echo that is an interesting idea. Like having to show proof-of-life to sell.

Good tip for a buyer here.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

bfinta
865 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 19, 2011 12:43 |  #220

Just saw this thread now as well... I had this Eastwood character email me with that same email adress responding to my wtb post for a 70-200. He offered me a 70-200 2.8 IS for 1050 shipped to me.
I asked for photos which he promptly offered and he offered up a eBay account with about 69 feedback all 100%. He got pretty impatient at my many questions and when I said I wouldn't proceed until I got a picture of the lens with a paper with my username written on it I wouldn't buy anything. He never responded after that. I wanted to report it here as well but of course wasn't sure 100% it was a scam but this thread proves it is...
Really sorry to hear you got scammed by this guy OP :(

bfinta
865 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 19, 2011 12:53 |  #221

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1012439

I bet this thread was also a similar scam involving the same guy that contacted me and the OP

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 19, 2011 12:55 |  #222

moose10101 wrote in post #12049048 (external link)
Why would a web site have a forum that's dangerous to post to?

You misinterpret Moose. I said I think using the WTB forum is dangerous. I also think riding sport bikes is dangerous.It is up to the individual to asses the level of risk he is willing to accept.

I also do not use PayPal. I assume the cost and the risk buy using postal money order only. Since I rarely sell and mainly buy here the risk is mine. It is up to me to assure the seller that I do not expect shipment until he has his cash securely in hand. Like another member said, the seller only need to go to a full service post office and redeem the USPS Money Order for cold hard cash (for what that is worth these days).

Such a transaction does carry risks. I must be more diligent in my research of the seller, but it is a risk I am willing to take because I do not have a PayPal account and do not intend to start one.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,385 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 19, 2011 13:09 |  #223

i don't get all the uproar about the sticky...why is there a sticky about a "new type of scam on ebay"?...does everybody read that?...probably not...did it stop me from buying a cheap CF card off of ebay...yes

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,385 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 19, 2011 13:10 |  #224

bfinta wrote in post #12050445 (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1012439

I bet this thread was also a similar scam involving the same guy that contacted me and the OP

i don't see the connection

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

bfinta
865 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 19, 2011 13:22 |  #225

It was a guy on craiglist selling the 70-200 2.8 for 1050... Same price as was offered to me by the guy who contacted me through my wtb post... Somehow I doubt this scammer was limiting himself to going after wtb posts on potn.

sponsored links

33,429 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I'm getting scammed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.