Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Mar 2011 (Friday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How have Canon's Warranty Service treated you?"
Repair even for free even out of warranty.
38%
Honored warranty.
54%
Made up excuses and not honor warranty.
8%

150 voters, 150 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BEWARE! Canon Service Center accused me of mishandled and won't honor warranty.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,311 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 19, 2011 06:13 |  #46

craigslistpost604 wrote in post #12048117 (external link)
I can't prove anything because Canon guys are smart they didn't say aything on the email for me to keep a record of what they're telling me, in an email they said replied with the cost of thr price that's it. All information and words exchanged was through a phone line which I did not record and cannot record because it would not be legal to do so.

You might want to brush up on your law a bit... (and learn how to escalate an issue up through the tiers of customer service, even supervisors have supervisors)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
zrock
191 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 19, 2011 08:58 |  #47

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12044484 (external link)
1 year is standard for many, many products. Your view is very unwarranted, IMO. I have used Canon warranty services several times, each time service was great. Sony and Nikon offer 1 year as well. Not sure how their selling practices and warranty periods even play into this issue though?

When was the last time you looked at Nikon .. They offer a 2+year warranty http://www.nikon.ca/ab​out/warranty.asp (external link)

Canon T1i
EFS 18-55mm
EFS 55-250mm
430EX II

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,478 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 19, 2011 09:01 |  #48

That appears to be applicable to Canada. As noted earlier in this discussion, not everyone lives in North America.

JustinRageth
636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 19, 2011 09:06 |  #49

Roy Mathers wrote in post #12049329 (external link)
That appears to be applicable to Canada. As noted earlier in this discussion, not everyone lives in North America.

And yet nothing was said to the guy from Germany when he talked about the warranty there...interesting double standard

T4i Gripped, Sigma 17-70mm, 70-200 f/4L, 50mm 1.8
Panasonic TZ5
Flicker (external link)

zrock
191 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 19, 2011 09:48 |  #50

ya posted before i read the whole forum. If I would have looked at Nikon warranty i would have bought one instead of my canon

Canon T1i
EFS 18-55mm
EFS 55-250mm
430EX II

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,478 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 19, 2011 10:52 |  #51

JustinRageth wrote in post #12049358 (external link)
And yet nothing was said to the guy from Germany when he talked about the warranty there...interesting double standard

No, not double standards - the 'guy from Germany' pointed out quite clearly that it was Germany he was talking about and made it clear that he wasn't talking world-wide.

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,773 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined May 2008

Mar 19, 2011 11:02 |  #52

pasm365 wrote in post #12045338 (external link)
Read through my reply and think, you will get it.
Which other company offers 1 year warranty for lenses?
Which other company still use 80's overstock lens caps?
Denying warranty is a way to save a few bucks, the pratice a cheapo would do.
From OP's decription, this is a case of denying warranty without examine the camera, hoping the customer will either pay or go away.

What does any of this have to do with the origninal post?

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 19, 2011 12:27 |  #53

The BBB is useless; it collects dues, pays staff, full stop. Think of them like the AKC of Business. Same thing.

If you're going to complain, and you're in the USA, go online, find your state attorney general's complaint area, fill out the form. They -must- at least send a letter, and might investigate. And they have real power, as in fines, lawsuits.......

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

JustinRageth
636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 19, 2011 12:47 |  #54

Roy Mathers wrote in post #12049772 (external link)
No, not double standards - the 'guy from Germany' pointed out quite clearly that it was Germany he was talking about and made it clear that he wasn't talking world-wide.

And the op is from the states...therefor when people tell him a tidbit, ie about warranty info, it would more than likely pertain to him, in the states

T4i Gripped, Sigma 17-70mm, 70-200 f/4L, 50mm 1.8
Panasonic TZ5
Flicker (external link)

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 19, 2011 15:04 |  #55

I can tell you from working for a major electronics company as a repair tech that no one covers cracked LCD's under warranty. If you make a big enough fuss they may fix it as a CS issue but they don't make a habit out of it. This is due to the fact that LCD's do not just crack, as stated it takes either impact, excessive pressure or extreme hot and cold. The only time I have seen this covered is when there is a known manufacturing issue causing the LCD to crack with less than excessive force. As for placing blame on a repair tech breaking it and then blaming the customer I really don't see this happening. As a matter of course things get broken doing repairs, many things go together easier than they come apart and a certain amount of breakage is expected and thus a tech is not held to task if they break something it is simply replaced during the repair.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 19, 2011 16:30 |  #56

craigslistpost604 wrote in post #12042233 (external link)

Canon will never see another penny from me. Anyway...Nikon here I come !!

You need to talk with a supervisor and say you are not satisfied and be civil about it. I'm sure they will take care of you. Selling your Canon gear and buying a different brand really isn't an economical venture for you now is it? Many say Nikon service is slower and Canon will do more out of warranty free repairs than Nikon.

The last 2 years that I saw the Consumer Reports dSLR service ratings both had Nikon having the highest rate of units needing service within the first year at 5%. Canon has been at 3%. Switching to a different brand will not guarantee you better service. "The grass is greener on the other side of the fence" is a fallacy. Even a 5 year warranty (if real) from Nikon may only mean they do more denial of warranty claim service.

And who is going to buy your camera if you don't repair it so you can buy Nikon gear? It'll be worth half its normal value. So if Canon won't service you under warranty, it'll be a cheaper endeavor to have them repair your camera and stick with Canon than try to sell a camera with a broken LCD trying to get money to buy new more expensive Nikon gear. Yes Nikon generally has higher prices than Canon. Good luck with that!

garys1
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 19, 2011 16:41 |  #57

OP is not the only one having problems with the new Virginia facility. Check this out...
http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/99204​7 (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 19, 2011 17:09 |  #58

To the OP, you really should get some documentation on this right away -- either paper mail or at least email, including clear statements by them -- if they claim visible damage then require a photo of it. If no visible damage, require a clear statement that even if there is no visible damage they still refuse to do the warranty repair, and why.

This will give you something to forward to a Canon higher-up, or, as was mentioned, an AG-type official who might get onto it.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

czynot
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 19, 2011 22:17 |  #59

I am sorry but how does canon reps determine it was Cracked LCD without opening it or backlight . Unless the lCD is totally shatter. Fine small hair line crack will not show up easy with the housing plastic over it and dark screen.
True, CRACKED LCD is Phical damage (NOT COVER). NO backLight (IS under warranty 100%).
LCD can be Damage if Tech open housing and not been careful. Some company will not cover techicians if any parts are damage by techicians. If techician is new employee? i can see part can be damage and afraid to admit it.
Yes I too work in Laptop service department and I see new techicians break things or try to cover their tracks. I see New techicians put a laptop back together totally wrong and hide extra screws and cables in his pocket. so I am not supprise.

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

millwright
161 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 19, 2011 22:50 |  #60

Roy Mathers wrote in post #12049329 (external link)

I think I understand what you are saying, I am just having a hard time figuring out exactly where Canada is, reading your post :lol:

Web sitehttp://www.wix.com/imf​inc/daves-photo-experience (external link)

sponsored links

20,016 views & 0 likes for this thread
BEWARE! Canon Service Center accused me of mishandled and won't honor warranty.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.