Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I'm getting scammed

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,561 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 19, 2011 19:25 |  #241

tommykjensen wrote in post #12049896 (external link)
See that is a much better idea. I suggest you send it to TeamSpeed.

He did and I added 2 sections to my "ways to be informed" sticky. :)

I particularly like the last one, it is how I conduct my online business and has served me well as the underlying principle while doing due diligence outlined in the other sections. :)

As for hijacked accounts, which this may have been, it is much harder except to ask for photo proof of what you are getting, along with a home number to contact them. I will add a couple of these as pointers too.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 19, 2011 20:01 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #242

Mk1Racer wrote in post #12052461 (external link)
Which sucks. You pay for insurance, and when they screw up and loose / damage your package, you've got to jump through hoops and wait to get your money. It's one of the reasons I hate UPS. Although, I've never put a claim through on another carrier, so I don't know if they're any better or worse.

Ever since I have just tried to sell locally:lol:

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,595 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 19, 2011 20:06 |  #243

My 400 f/2.8 has been sitting collecting dust because I have been to scared to sell it online (trying local only) because of 'horror' stories like these.

Sevas Tra

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 19, 2011 20:31 |  #244

Skip Souza wrote in post #12051634 (external link)
Having a good physical address puts the seller on notice that they can be touched if they try to scam on the deal.

That is a good point.

Thansk

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 19, 2011 21:46 |  #245

Jaymz wrote in post #12052651 (external link)
My 400 f/2.8 has been sitting collecting dust because I have been to scared to sell it online (trying local only) because of 'horror' stories like these.

Have you taken note of the stories? Almost invariably they claim that the buyer is the victim, rarely the seller. In the vast majority of the scenarios, the buyer sends the funds and the seller fails to send the goods. This places the power and the security in the hands of the seller and requires the buyer to be exceedingly diligent in his research.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 19, 2011 21:52 |  #246

Skip Souza wrote in post #12053209 (external link)
Have you taken note of the stories? Almost invariably they claim that the buyer is the victim, rarely the seller. In the vast majority of the scenarios, the buyer sends the funds and the seller fails to send the goods. This places the power and the security in the hands of the seller and requires the buyer to be exceedingly diligent in his research.

I would also add that a lens like that is going to be tough to sell locally unless you are in a major metropolitan area.

I've sold/traded a lot of equipment here on POTN and haven't had any issues selling. Just be careful on a lens like that, as with buying look at the buyer's post history. Someone looking for that lens is going to be pretty serious about photography.

Flickr (external link)

Mk1Racer
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 20, 2011 07:15 |  #247

Skip Souza wrote in post #12053209 (external link)

For the most part Skip, I agree, the seller has the upper hand. But crooks can, and do work both sides of the street. You get the crooked buyers who claim that what came in the box is not what they paid for.

Granted, most scammers are lazy, and will pick another mark if one proves to be too difficult. Also, the amount of money involved is usually not worth a huge amount of effort when there are easier marks out there.

7D, BG-E7, BGE2x2 (both FS), 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS (FS), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 70-300 f/4-5.6L, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4xTC

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 20, 2011 07:32 |  #248

This same person scammed me out of 350.00 a week ago. I informed the moderator about him on Sunday.. too bad he still gets to roam here and screw folks. I called Paypal and warned them about him as well. They just shrugged their shoulders and pretty much said, Oh well dont worry you have PP protection since he is verified user. Im sure I will never see a dime of the money because his account will be empty. I too contacted through his Ebay account and he probably just hijacked that account. I had also warned Ebay on Sunday of that. As you can see no one takes these bastages serious and more victims fall.

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 20, 2011 07:49 |  #249

I was under the impression it was PoTN policy that you couldn't post negative feedback about other members. I would take your post down mastertech.

I typically pay through paypal with a debit card. Don't call paypal, call your bank. Demand your money back. When you get it, Paypal has to get their cash from somewhere so they take it back from the seller.

Gear

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 20, 2011 08:28 |  #250

Sp1207 wrote in post #12054946 (external link)
I was under the impression it was PoTN policy that you couldn't post negative feedback about other members. I would take your post down mastertech.

I typically pay through paypal with a debit card. Don't call paypal, call your bank. Demand your money back. When you get it, Paypal has to get their cash from somewhere so they take it back from the seller.

Wait, I just read the first 3 pages where 2 other people reported the same scammer for the same thing, but I am in violation? :rolleyes: If I knew I could get by with warning the forum with a thread like this I would have a week ago. I was shocked that these folks got by with it with the past determination of the mods NOT to allow neg feedback. I was simply confirming this thread with my own bad luck. Sorry...

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
21,013 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 20, 2011 08:39 |  #251

Sp1207 wrote in post #12054946 (external link)

As long as a member is not identified or information posted that easily identify the person it is ok to post about the experience. But as soon as the member can be identified that crosses the line.

That said. mastertech01 did you provide the moderator all the relevant information etc including the name. I know we have tried to contact one individual being accused of scamming but I do not know if you are referring to the same. And that individual has been or will be banned. We will not tolerate scammers or members accused of scamming that do not respond to our demands for a response.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 20, 2011 08:42 |  #252

Yes, I clicked the little triangle warning box and gave the user name and pertinent information, plus I copied and pasted a couple paragraphs of details that I emailed to Ebay warning them of the same. I also told them of my contact with Paypal. I understand and told them I understood that they are not involved with the transaction, and all I wanted was to warn them of the scammer in our midst.

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 20, 2011 11:38 |  #253

mastertech01 wrote in post #12054903 (external link)
This same person scammed me out of 350.00 a week ago. I informed the moderator about him on Sunday.. too bad he still gets to roam here and screw folks. I called Paypal and warned them about him as well. They just shrugged their shoulders and pretty much said, Oh well dont worry you have PP protection since he is verified user. Im sure I will never see a dime of the money because his account will be empty. I too contacted through his Ebay account and he probably just hijacked that account. I had also warned Ebay on Sunday of that. As you can see no one takes these bastages serious and more victims fall.

Dang

Professor
66 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 20, 2011 12:02 |  #254

tommykjensen wrote in post #12055087 (external link)
As long as a member is not identified or information posted that easily identify the person it is ok to post about the experience. But as soon as the member can be identified that crosses the line.

What an absolutely ridiculous "policy" and is the reason I rarely come around here. But it is your house ...

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 20, 2011 12:06 |  #255

louieabellera wrote in post #12055874 (external link)
Dang

Louie - this could work for you. If Pay Pal was notified of the scammer on an earlier date and should have frozen his account THEN and you would not have been out anything as your money would have "bounced" back from the frozen account. Get the details on this - Then bright and early Monday morning call Pay Pal!

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

sponsored links

32,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I'm getting scammed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.