Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I'm getting scammed

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 20, 2011 12:07 |  #256

Professor wrote in post #12056032 (external link)
What an absolutely ridiculous "policy" and is the reason I rarely come around here. But it is your house ...

No I support the policy.
You have no idea how many if these threads pop up because people are jumping the gun and slamming good sellers .
In all honesty most of these threads turn out to me an over reaction with a few legit claims. Why smear good names for no good reason.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

sponsored links
mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 20, 2011 12:17 |  #257

Individuals should not be able to out people at random, but there is a need for a traders to be avoided thread like they have at Anandtech forums, where the MODERATORS post all information based on reports they have on users who have been known to scam people in the forums. I dont think that is abusive at all since it is controlled and informative and may save a few suckers like me. And I empahsise MAY SAVE because some of us still fall for the sucker lines no matter how careful we think we are. There is no gurantee it will help but it would sure make it seem like this forum cares more with something like that avaliable. In the end though,it is and was my fault that I got screwed in this case. I just wish the others could have been spared. IMHO

I have seen scammers return to Anandtech to scam again under a new name and the information posted allowed users to discover the scammer before he got far with it. Just an idea for ya.

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
21,013 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 20, 2011 12:27 |  #258

mastertech01 wrote in post #12056139 (external link)
Individuals should not be able to out people at random, but there is a need for a traders to be avoided thread like they have at Anandtech forums, where the MODERATORS post all information based on reports they have on users who have been known to scam people in the forums. I dont think that is abusive at all since it is controlled and informative and may save a few suckers like me. And I empahsise MAY SAVE because some of us still fall for the sucker lines no matter how careful we think we are. There is no gurantee it will help but it would sure make it seem like this forum cares more with something like that avaliable. In the end though,it is and was my fault that I got screwed in this case. I just wish the others could have been spared. IMHO

I have seen scammers return to Anandtech to scam again under a new name and the information posted allowed users to discover the scammer before he got far with it. Just an idea for ya.

At this time the policy is not going to change simply because as midnigth_rider said the number of premature claims far outweighs the number of real scams. I know there are some that are willing to sacrifice the reputation of innocent members but the moderator team are not among those. No matter how flat you make the pancake it has two sides and when a member approach us with a scam claim we try to get the other part to respond before we resort to banning.

Pekka is working on new forum software and when that is ready we will see a completely new marketplace and moderators will get much better tools to catch potential scammers faster.

In the meantime the best advice we can give is this: If you have posted something for sale or want to buy something and a member with zero posts contact you be cautious and make sure you have alternative means of contacting and get both a physical adress and phone number and VERIFY that information before proceeding. And remember if the deal sounds to good to be true it usually is..........

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,961 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 20, 2011 12:38 |  #259

Professor wrote in post #12056032 (external link)
What an absolutely ridiculous "policy" and is the reason I rarely come around here. But it is your house ...

Feel free not to come back ever....

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 20, 2011 12:39 |  #260

Hillbille wrote in post #12056063 (external link)
Louie - this could work for you. If Pay Pal was notified of the scammer on an earlier date and should have frozen his account THEN and you would not have been out anything as your money would have "bounced" back from the frozen account. Get the details on this - Then bright and early Monday morning call Pay Pal!

Hillbille

Will do! But to my understanding, I dont think the money 'bounces' back to my account. I think PayPal just keeps it. Which doesnt make sense. So I will call again.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 20, 2011 12:51 |  #261

louieabellera wrote in post #12056249 (external link)
Will do! But to my understanding, I dont think the money 'bounces' back to my account. I think PayPal just keeps it. Which doesnt make sense. So I will call again.

But you sent someone a 'gift'. At the point you send money as a gift you are out of it. Again I'm sorry you got hosed but as I said earlier in this thread sending PayPal gift is no different than wiring cash via Western Union.

If anything this thread thoroughly documents why you should not use PayPal gift for purchasing photo gear. The 3% isn't worth it.

Flickr (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,385 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 20, 2011 13:17 as a reply to  @ K6AZ's post |  #262

mastertech01 wrote in post #12054903 (external link)
This same person scammed me out of 350.00 a week ago. I informed the moderator about him on Sunday.. too bad he still gets to roam here and screw folks. I called Paypal and warned them about him as well. They just shrugged their shoulders and pretty much said, Oh well dont worry you have PP protection since he is verified user. Im sure I will never see a dime of the money because his account will be empty. I too contacted through his Ebay account and he probably just hijacked that account. I had also warned Ebay on Sunday of that. As you can see no one takes these bastages serious and more victims fall.

did you pay using paypal gift as well, or just regular paypal payment?

i think having a list of people that have been banned because of scamming isn't a bad idea...they are no longer members anyways so it's not hurting them, but could be useful if someone sees raiderfan12 has scammed before, but then get's a pm from someone named raiderfan15...although it may just be a whole lot of work for nothing...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 20, 2011 13:22 |  #263

No, I sent normal Paypal funds that were in my account and not as a gift. That may give me a tiny edge if there are any funds to capture. It was a Paypal Verified account I sent funds to.

keyframe14
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 20, 2011 13:29 |  #264

tommykjensen wrote in post #12056193 (external link)
Pekka is working on new forum software and when that is ready we will see a completely new marketplace and moderators will get much better tools to catch potential scammers faster.

This sounds great, do you have a approximate time frame as to when this would be ready?!

Facebook (external link)
www.albert-heisler.com  (external link)
500px (external link)
IG (external link)

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
21,013 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 20, 2011 13:45 |  #265

keyframe14 wrote in post #12056545 (external link)
This sounds great, do you have a approximate time frame as to when this would be ready?!

Nope, sorry.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,385 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 20, 2011 13:47 |  #266

mastertech01 wrote in post #12056517 (external link)
No, I sent normal Paypal funds that were in my account and not as a gift. That may give me a tiny edge if there are any funds to capture. It was a Paypal Verified account I sent funds to.

have you tried to get your money back from paypal yet? hope it works out for you

tommykjensen wrote in post #12056611 (external link)
Nope, sorry.

i was searching for something yesterday, and came across a thread mentioning a change to the forums in june of last year...i was wondering if i didn't notice it, as it sounds like it's a significant change

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 20, 2011 13:49 |  #267

I filed today. You have to allow 7 days for the item to arrive before filing a claim.

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
21,013 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 20, 2011 13:54 |  #268

DreDaze wrote in post #12056624 (external link)
i was searching for something yesterday, and came across a thread mentioning a change to the forums in june of last year...i was wondering if i didn't notice it, as it sounds like it's a significant change

Trust me you will know when it happens ;)

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 20, 2011 13:58 |  #269

mastertech01 wrote in post #12056517 (external link)

Paper trail is VERY important!

E-Mail, PM's, SCREEN CAPTURES of thread pages (remember threads CAN be edited - even AFTER - closed and then reopened for editing.) All these are a "good" idea to have. Captures of the PP screens and e-bay auction as well as notices and "messages" from e-bay are a good thing too.

A phone call is merely a VERBAL complaint - which is usually forgotten when the receiver hits the cradle, but a well documented complaint is much tougher to ignore.

Create a simple text document and in it paste a link to THIS thread as well as any other threads where the scammer was busy either successfully or unsuccessfully. More is better. Paste a link to any other site or place used by the scammer - e-bay especially in this. When asked by the Pay Pal person for "proof" sent these links in an e-mail to him/her. If asked for ANY link to any transaction - include ALL of the links but HIGHLIGHT the one asked for.

Be persistent.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 20, 2011 14:15 |  #270

Hillbille wrote in post #12056679 (external link)
Paper trail is VERY important!

E-Mail, PM's, SCREEN CAPTURES of thread pages (remember threads CAN be edited - even AFTER - closed and then reopened for editing.) All these are a "good" idea to have. Captures of the PP screens and e-bay auction as well as notices and "messages" from e-bay are a good thing too.

A phone call is merely a VERBAL complaint - which is usually forgotten when the receiver hits the cradle, but a well documented complaint is much tougher to ignore.

Create a simple text document and in it paste a link to THIS thread as well as any other threads where the scammer was busy either successfully or unsuccessfully. More is better. Paste a link to any other site or place used by the scammer - e-bay especially in this. When asked by the Pay Pal person for "proof" sent these links in an e-mail to him/her. If asked for ANY link to any transaction - include ALL of the links but HIGHLIGHT the one asked for.

Be persistent.

Hillbille

As far as threads and PMs, instead of screen captures I would suggest selecting the 'printable version' tool at the top right of every thread and saving it via a PDF writer. If you don't have Acrobat you can get this free utility that will print to PDF. In some financial disputes you will need to furnish this information to support your claim and most financial institutions prefer PDFs or actual hard copies printed out.

http://www.cutepdf.com​/products/cutepdf/Writ​er.asp (external link)

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

33,002 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I'm getting scammed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.