Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Mar 2011 (Sunday) 01:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe CS5 changed colors when saving to JPEG

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 20, 2011 01:37 |  #1

Hi,

I noticed something odd with Photoshop CS5 the other day. I had an image I'd been working in. I'd up'd the vibrance and had nice colors showing while working on the PSD file.

I then saved the image as a .JPEG file. When I opened the .JPEG file in 3 other applications the colors were different than what was showing in photoshop. (Less contrast). When I sent the .JPEG to the lab, it printed with the lesser colors too.

I was just wondering if this is a common thing, and if there is something I've overlooked, or if I should be doing something else to my images before saving as JPG to keep the colors?

Cheers

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

sponsored links
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 20, 2011 01:43 |  #2

What 3 other applications were you using? Are they color managed? If you have both the psd and jpeg displayed side by side in Photoshop do you see any difference?

Also, do you soft proof before sending your images to be printed?

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

adza77
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 20, 2011 01:47 |  #3

Hi Bob_A

Thanks for the rapid reply!

I didn't reload the JPG in Photoshop, sorry. The other 3 applications where Picasa Pictureviewer, Paint Shop Pro (version 5... old, but I love it), and the camera shops own software for uploading the photo's to the lab for printing.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by soft proofing?

Cheers

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,467 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 20, 2011 05:01 |  #4

Those programs are not color managed. That means that they will (more or less) correctly display only images in the sRGB space. An image in the Adobe RGB space will lose saturation and contrast when displayed in them. Since this is your case, it seems likely that it is the source of your problem. Set your camera's jpg color space setting to sRGB (or if you shoot RAW, set the converter's output space to sRGB) and Photoshop's working space to sRGB.

Elie / אלי

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 20, 2011 09:12 |  #5

Convert to sRGB when you save to jpeg.

I had this same problem a few months ago. All my beautiful work (lol) looked hideous when viewed in Windows or online, etc.

A9 | A7R3 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

adza77
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 20, 2011 17:07 |  #6

Thanks guys. I'll give that a shot and see if that is the issue.

Cheers

Adza

sobad
220 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 20, 2011 20:16 |  #7

Yup they hit it on the head. I had the same problem when I first used CS5 on RAW files. Once I set it up to convert to sRGB everything was fine.

Canon 1DMKIIN, 7D, 40D, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 17-40 f4L, 28-135mm IS, 85mm 1.8, 35mm 2.0, 50mm 1.8, , 18-55mm kit, 430EX II, 580EX II (2), AB800 x 2
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 27, 2011 09:24 |  #8

What really sucks is when you use Lightroom and save a srgb then want to make one change in all your photos using CS5 (or other) and CS5 default is to open everything in ProPhoto, then you forget to change it all back to srgb.....I spent an extra hour last night reconverting.

A9 | A7R3 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 27, 2011 09:33 |  #9

Tip: Set up PS as a secondary editor as well, with preset for sRGB...

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20110327-bpjmrruqi7pq3eb3d9rpgf22kr.jpg

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

4,007 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe CS5 changed colors when saving to JPEG
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.