Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 19 Feb 2006 (Sunday) 23:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NYC Street Photos with a 135mm / Dial Up Unfriendly

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 19, 2006 23:41 |  #1

Purists would balk at using such a longish focal length, but it does produce a pleasing perspective. Sometimes I just walk around with one lens to force myself to think within the boundaries of that focal length. Here are some pics with a 135mm, taken at lower Manhattan, hasty PP in RSE.

Wandering Soul

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Fortune Plant Admirers
IMAGE NOT FOUND

The Sketcher
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Citrus Sale
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Nice Shoes, Dude
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

sponsored links
mrclark321
Noinker
7,536 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 19, 2006 23:44 |  #2

All very nice and a great idea to improve your skills. :)

Dan

Sony A7R3 & A7R4
Sony 16-35 GM
Sony 55mm 1.8
Batis 85mm
Sony 200-600

blighty
402 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 20, 2006 05:59 |  #3

They are all nice, but I like those oranges or whatever they are. Maybe a little P+p to brighten/saturate them up a bit would be worhtwhile.

---------------
5D, 24-105mm EF F4 L USM, 50mm 1.8 EF, 350D, 18-55mm EF S,430 EX, RC-1,

jwbker
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 20, 2006 06:44 as a reply to  @ blighty's post |  #4

BB, I like "The Sketcher". I do the same thing with just one lens. It's good simplify for an exercise, I think.

James

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 20, 2006 12:51 |  #5

I likee ... those fruits are almost edible. VEry nice feel to these shots. Was the L or the Zeiss?

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

elTwitcho
frustrating as ....
1,478 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 20, 2006 18:21 |  #6

Excellent stuff, you're so fortunate to live in NYC with all that stuff to shoot. The whole set feels very "New York" to me, which is a good thing.

I definately like the oranges best, but if you even think about brightening them or bumping the saturation I'll have to kill you ;)

The sketcher is also superb

Rich
Some of my recent projects
Portraits from 2007 (external link)
Urban Gallery (external link)
Where Toronto Was Built (external link)
People and such (external link)

Smooth1
878 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 20, 2006 21:28 |  #7

I'd have to say "The Sketcher" is my favorite in these. Catching art with another form of art with the bonus of seeing who's creating the work. Well done.

jfrancho
Cream of the Crop
6,341 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 20, 2006 21:36 |  #8

These are lovely, they have a subtle, muted, winter in the city look. Nice job.

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 20, 2006 23:39 as a reply to  @ mrclark321's post |  #9

mrclark321 wrote:
All very nice and a great idea to improve your skills. :)

Dan

Dan, thanks for the kind words! Yes, using one lens, and a prime at that, does slow you down and make you think more about the shot.

Pio

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 20, 2006 23:48 as a reply to  @ elTwitcho's post |  #10

blighty wrote:
They are all nice, but I like those oranges or whatever they are. Maybe a little P+p to brighten/saturate them up a bit would be worhtwhile.

Thanks blighty! The citrus fruits are some sort of Asian grapefruit and each is around some 8, 9 inches in diameter. I chose these parameters for saturation because it is really close to the actual colors - at least on my monitor :)

elTwitcho wrote:
Excellent stuff, you're so fortunate to live in NYC with all that stuff to shoot. The whole set feels very "New York" to me, which is a good thing.

I definately like the oranges best, but if you even think about brightening them or bumping the saturation I'll have to kill you ;)

The sketcher is also superb

Thanks Richard! Indeed, there are some advantages to living in NYC. So many photographic possibilities. Lots of opportunities to lose one's equipment too, if one isn't careful or a bit unlucky :) I did shoot a lot of pics for this session, and selected several that shows a variety of subject matter.

Aye, I hear you about the PP on the 'oranges' :)

Pio

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 20, 2006 23:52 as a reply to  @ Smooth1's post |  #11

jwbker wrote:
BB, I like "The Sketcher". I do the same thing with just one lens. It's good simplify for an exercise, I think.

Smooth1 wrote:
I'd have to say "The Sketcher" is my favorite in these. Catching art with another form of art with the bonus of seeing who's creating the work. Well done.

James, Smooth, thanks for the kind comments! It looks like 'The Sketcher' is a runaway favorite here. Smooth, you have read my mind precisely, and I am glad. James, we have to get together and shoot sometime! Just one lens, a prime :) let's see what we can capture.

Pio

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 21, 2006 00:06 as a reply to  @ condyk's post |  #12

condyk wrote:
I likee ... those fruits are almost edible. VEry nice feel to these shots. Was the L or the Zeiss?

Condyk, thanks! It looks like the fruits are favorites here as well. They are by the way hanging from a sidewalk fruitstand. This isn't an L or a Zeiss, it is a Super Takumar 135mm, f2.5. It has an earthy feel to it, don't you think? Take a close look at the bokeh, especially that of "Fortune Plant Admirers" and "The Sketcher". I really love it! A weakness of this lens is slight Chromatic Abberation when your subject is set against a brightly lit background. But then again, most lenses exhibit CA in this circumstance. Dave, you really must get one of these. I love my MF lenses :)

jfrancho wrote:
These are lovely, they have a subtle, muted, winter in the city look. Nice job.

Thanks Johnny! You always have kind words to say, my friend, whatever the forum. I gather that some of these will look good in B/W, and I will do some converting soon when I have the time.

Pio

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 21, 2006 15:04 as a reply to  @ BottomBracket's post |  #13

BottomBracket wrote:
... it is a Super Takumar 135mm, f2.5. It has an earthy feel to it, don't you think? Take a close look at the bokeh, especially that of "Fortune Plant Admirers" and "The Sketcher". I really love it! A weakness of this lens is slight Chromatic Abberation when your subject is set against a brightly lit background. But then again, most lenses exhibit CA in this circumstance. Dave, you really must get one of these. I love my MF lenses :)

The speed attracts I have to say. I adore my Zeiss 135mm but this one has a very different feel to it: earthy as you say. The grapefruits have a very natural sharpness rather than the harshness we too often see. I'm not a great one for collecting but I will keep an eye out for one and pick it up if I can find a minty one cheap.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 23, 2006 11:22 |  #14

Dave, don't worry, this lens is for using, not for collecting. It is a bit larger and heavier than the CZJ Sonnar. You'll love this lens! Here's another shot using the same lens, I really like its bokeh. Can anyone figure out the bulding behind the subjects?

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Pio

Timm
206 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 23, 2006 11:39 |  #15

I'll go for ESB... as seen from the Brooklyn side of the east river, about parallel to the 34th St Heli-port... and be shot down in flames to find it's actually either the Chrysler from 8 blocks further north, or ESB from the 'Joisey' side of the Hudson. :-s

Cameras, lenses and lots to learn.

sponsored links

3,265 views & 0 likes for this thread
NYC Street Photos with a 135mm / Dial Up Unfriendly
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.