Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Mar 2011 (Friday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How have Canon's Warranty Service treated you?"
Repair even for free even out of warranty.
38%
Honored warranty.
54%
Made up excuses and not honor warranty.
8%

150 voters, 150 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BEWARE! Canon Service Center accused me of mishandled and won't honor warranty.

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 19, 2011 23:07 |  #61

craigslistpost604 wrote in post #12048104 (external link)
There's not much I can do just they're the giant and I'm just another weak consumer that'll just have to take the loss and never pay a penny for a Canon product ever again.

There is something you can do. Call Canon USA Corporate offices. When I had a problem a few years back, it's what I did and got immediate results.
It's worth a try.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 19, 2011 23:20 |  #62

I don't know about the OP's location specifically, but in most of the United States the local district attorney's office has a consumer fraud and complaint division. That would be one place to go if you can't satisfaction from Canon about the repair under warranty.

There are also various consumer complaint columns in newspapers and on television. These folks are always looking for stories like this to run with and no company wants to be publicly shown in a bad light, if it only costs them $250 to rectify the problem under warranty. Here in my local newspaper it's called "Action Line" and is amazing how quickly some problems seem to get resolved once it's made public. At least one of my local TV stations has something similar. You might check in your area.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
40,698 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 20, 2011 05:58 |  #63

millwright wrote in post #12053526 (external link)
I think I understand what you are saying, I am just having a hard time figuring out exactly where Canada is, reading your post :lol:

What do you mean?

YouTellMe
176 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 20, 2011 06:11 |  #64

Have you tried filing a complaint with the BBB? Sears refused to warranty a battery i bought. it was a rechargeable lithium ion battery and it would not take a charge from day 1 to day 3. I filed a BBB complaint and they shipped me a new battery free of charge... When the BBB gets involved it SOMETIMES helps.

Gear List / Feedback
Kenko Extension Tubes for Dummies

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 20, 2011 09:04 |  #65
bannedPermanent ban

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #12051504 (external link)
You need to talk with a supervisor and say you are not satisfied and be civil about it. I'm sure they will take care of you. Selling your Canon gear and buying a different brand really isn't an economical venture for you now is it? Many say Nikon service is slower and Canon will do more out of warranty free repairs than Nikon.

The last 2 years that I saw the Consumer Reports dSLR service ratings both had Nikon having the highest rate of units needing service within the first year at 5%. Canon has been at 3%. Switching to a different brand will not guarantee you better service. "The grass is greener on the other side of the fence" is a fallacy. Even a 5 year warranty (if real) from Nikon may only mean they do more denial of warranty claim service.

And who is going to buy your camera if you don't repair it so you can buy Nikon gear? It'll be worth half its normal value. So if Canon won't service you under warranty, it'll be a cheaper endeavor to have them repair your camera and stick with Canon than try to sell a camera with a broken LCD trying to get money to buy new more expensive Nikon gear. Yes Nikon generally has higher prices than Canon. Good luck with that!

You might be right about it but I'm starting to think these statistics can be wrong since only the ones that get serviced are counted into the percentage. So since Canon tells their customers to pay for their repairs and if we don't pay then it won't get fixed and then it won't be counted as a service done. So with Nikon having a higher percentage maybe it means that they honor their service more? I'm just guessing...

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 20, 2011 09:06 |  #66
bannedPermanent ban

YouTellMe wrote in post #12054708 (external link)
Have you tried filing a complaint with the BBB? Sears refused to warranty a battery i bought. it was a rechargeable lithium ion battery and it would not take a charge from day 1 to day 3. I filed a BBB complaint and they shipped me a new battery free of charge... When the BBB gets involved it SOMETIMES helps.

Not yet, I'm going to make another phone call to complaint to "someone" if there's really someone that cares...I will try higher management or CEO if I can get his number...

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 20, 2011 09:06 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

Mike R wrote in post #12053627 (external link)
There is something you can do. Call Canon USA Corporate offices. When I had a problem a few years back, it's what I did and got immediate results.
It's worth a try.

Do you have the number for it?

Mark_48
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 20, 2011 10:07 as a reply to  @ craigslistpost604's post |  #68

I recently had sent a Canon camera in for a repair. Somewhere in Canon the paperwork got messed up and they were going to charge me for a warranty repair. I don't have any idea what happened, but was able to get it straightened out contacting the right people.
I'm wondering if perhaps your repair paperwork got assigned to another camera that did have a physically cracked LCD and that may the cause of the confusion.

In another forum someone had sent a camera in for a repair and ended up getting one back that had a totally different serial number on the external sticker, as well as what was in the EXIF. He's now having a great deal of trouble trying get this straightened out since his purchase receipts and records don't match up to the camera that was returned. Mix ups happen. Make sure the serial number of the camera they are looking at matches yours.

I'm assuming you purchased the camera new. Is there a remote possibility that camera may have been gray market and thus Canon is looking for an excuse to not repair it. You would have had a US warranty card included if it's a US warranted model.

If possible, when you contact some one at Canon, try to get their email address and follow up the phone call with an email to that person with an overview of what was discussed. This isn't always doable, but worth a try.

Megapixels and high ISO are a digital photographers heroin. Once you have a little, you just want more and more. It doesn't stop until your bank account is run dry.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 20, 2011 11:31 |  #69

had an issue with my 5DII which they claimed was within spec. Lots of hot/stuck pixels at moderate/long exposures. The Service Manager never responded to my subsequent emails so I hunted down the email address of the President of Canon Canada.

After diplomatically explaining all that had transpired and writing how I was disappointed with the lack of service and disinterest from the Service Manager, which would surely cause me to never recommend Canon to anybody again..... I got a call 2 days later to email sample images at specific ISO's and shutter speeds (I had already attached some samples with my original repair request). Later that day they called me to send the camera in, again, prepaid shipping. The camera was fixed and returned to me in less than a week.

A couple of months later I dropped my 135L on a ceramic floor and the mount got bent. The tolerances must be very tight because I could not find any damage looking carefully through a loupe. It mounted but very very stiffly. The lens appeared perfectly fine except for the bent mount. I sent it in to Canon under warranty and they replaced it for free even though the work order said something like "damage to mount due to impact". Maybe they remembered me from my earlier episode with them or the fact that I had to wait 4 weeks for my lens to be returned (waiting for part from Japan),

Of course this was Canada so your mileage may vary.

Moral of the story... keep going up the ladder.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 20, 2011 11:47 |  #70

Roy Mathers wrote in post #12054683 (external link)
What do you mean?

Canada is part of North America .. just like Wales and Scotland are part of Britain ;);)

My Gear List  :p

northernspirit87
139 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 20, 2011 12:45 |  #71

Take it to a local camera shop. I had to have a new focus screen replace in mine (inside the camera) and Canon wanted to charge $250 upfront just to look at it, no repairs, no parts just look at it. I bought the focus screen for $10 and took it to a local camera shop, they charged me $10 to install it. You may have better luck at a mom and pop camera shop than Canon.

~Robin
www.down2earthphotogra​phyrb.com (external link)
flickr (external link)https://500px.com/nort​hernspirit87 (external link)
"Viewing the World through a Lens"

k9trainer
384 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 20, 2011 12:52 |  #72

Ive been trying to keep up with this thread

Did you get the camera back?
If so post a pic of the damage if there is any and if not post a pic anyway.
Confirm you are the org owner.
And if you have the camera back post the paperwork that cam back with the camera

Canon 5D Mark IV & BG-E20
17-40L & 70-200 IS2.8 Mark II L
Canon1.4x ll & 2X II Extender
Canon 15mm Fisheye
Previously owned Canon 5DI, 5DII, BG-E6, Canon 70-2002.8IS L, 24-105IS L, Flash 580EX II

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
40,698 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 20, 2011 14:17 |  #73

Perfect_10 wrote in post #12055930 (external link)
Canada is part of North America .. just like Wales and Scotland are part of Britain ;);)

I am fully aware of that - that's why I couldn't understand your post.

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 20, 2011 20:28 |  #74

craigslistpost604 wrote in post #12055165 (external link)
Do you have the number for it?

Sorry, I no longer have it. Call the support number and ask for the number to Canon USA corporate offices (that's how I got it when I needed it) Once you call that number, ask for the executive offices. There you will get someone who will get results. I dealt with a corp. customer service manager. His name was Mike but I don't remember his last name

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 21, 2011 20:08 |  #75
bannedPermanent ban

k9trainer wrote in post #12056325 (external link)
Ive been trying to keep up with this thread

Did you get the camera back?
If so post a pic of the damage if there is any and if not post a pic anyway.
Confirm you are the org owner.
And if you have the camera back post the paperwork that cam back with the camera

I haven't gotten the camera back yet, I'm still trying to figure out who to contact going up the ladder. I will definitely post pics when I receive it back.

sponsored links

18,998 views & 0 likes for this thread
BEWARE! Canon Service Center accused me of mishandled and won't honor warranty.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.