Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Mar 2011 (Monday) 21:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Price Increases: Rethinking Lens Purchase

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 21, 2011 21:43 |  #1

With the recent price increases due to the disaster in Japan, I've been rethinking buying a 70-200 f/2.8 IS mkII. At $2500 USD it stops being "just a little bit more" and has made me really reconsider whether it's worth it. For that price I could buy:
1.) 85 f/1.8, 135L, 70-200 2.8
or
2.) 5DmkI 70-200 f/2.8 + 85 f/1.8
or
3.) 5DmkI 24-70

Or other similar combinations. I think I may be going a little bit crazy here considering and then reconsidering this.

Anyone have any advice? Would YOU spend the $2500 on the mkII?

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
pilotdude22
443 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 21, 2011 21:48 |  #2

For what it's worth, the 70-200 is at $2370-ish here: http://www.adorama.com​/CA702002ISU.html (external link)

Hi.

TheBurningCrown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 21, 2011 21:53 |  #3

pilotdude22 wrote in post #12066361 (external link)
For what it's worth, the 70-200 is at $2370-ish here: http://www.adorama.com​/CA702002ISU.html (external link)

Thanks - paycheck to get up just over 2k (possibly enough for a copy from Canon Direct refurbished) won't be coming in for another week, possibly two, so I'm not holding my breath :(.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

CitizenMinistry
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 21, 2011 21:53 |  #4

Makes the 1950 they used to be a couple months ago look like a crazy steal right?

It's an amazing lens, in and out a pro's lens for sure. But that doesn't mean that it is right for you. And you indicate that its definitely out of your comfort zone in terms of budget. So before you put all your eggs into 1 lens, figure out if all the other things like your camera body, general purpose lenses, flashes, etc. are more important right now.

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,292 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Mar 21, 2011 21:57 as a reply to  @ CitizenMinistry's post |  #5

I understand your concern. I had to wince a little spending $2067 when the rebate was going around Christmas.

I would probably consider what you are really wanting. If you are looking for the ultimate in versatility, the Canon IS II is about as good as it gets. The primes will allow you to get more creative photos in general and the 5D is still a solid body.

Just a thought from Daniel
Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Mar 21, 2011 23:02 |  #6

pilotdude22 wrote in post #12066361 (external link)

You star!!!!!!!!!! I've been looking for a new lens and B&H aren't sending to Japan at the mo', and I'd forgotten about Adorama.....just logged in and my new lens is on its way!!!!
:-)
btw, I'm getting the 70-200 f/2.8 nonIS, because it's waaaay inside my comfort zone, and is for a concert where the pay isn't enough to justify (to Missus Skygod!) $2000+

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2011 23:05 |  #7

skygod44 wrote in post #12066915 (external link)
You star!!!!!!!!!! I've been looking for a new lens and B&H aren't sending to Japan at the mo', and I'd forgotten about Adorama.....just logged in and my new lens is on its way!!!!
btw, I'm getting the 70-200 f/2.8 nonIS :-)

But, but, but... You're just down the street from the source! ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

skygod44
6,444 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 21, 2011 23:07 |  #8

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12066940 (external link)
But, but, but... You're just down the street from the source! ;)

Are you joking, Jay?
If I buy from Japan, I'd have to pay around ¥125,000 and wait a week or more.
From the USA, with the exchange rate as it is, I'll pay about ¥110,000 and get the lens in my grubby hands in, perhaps, less time!

6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2011 23:09 |  #9

Yeah, I hear ya...

I used to live in Detroit and we had the worst luck with cars! :lol:

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

skygod44
6,444 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 21, 2011 23:17 |  #10

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12066965 (external link)
Yeah, I hear ya...
I used to live in Detroit and we had the worst luck with cars! :lol:

But, isn't that because cars from the USA were a pile of pants, back then?
;-)a
Our problem here is tax/exchange rates...
[Ducks while big-block lovers throw anything they can get their hands on, at the screen!!!]

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 21, 2011 23:20 |  #11

skygod44 wrote in post #12066915 (external link)
btw, I'm getting the 70-200 f/2.8 nonIS, because it's waaaay inside my comfort zone, and is for a concert where the pay isn't enough to justify (to Missus Skygod!) $2000+

It's still $2300 shipped at newegg

My Gearlist

skygod44
6,444 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 21, 2011 23:34 |  #12

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12067028 (external link)
It's still $2300 shipped at newegg

My skills are up to holding at 200mm (non-IS), and 110,000 yen is a bargain, IMO, for a classic piece of glass. And I'll use a monopod at the next gig.
But over $2000? It took me no time to dismiss that because: IS can go wrong; IS won't freeze motion from the subject; this lens won't be my main lens (for fun, I prefer primes);this lens should make the next gig a lot easier than last week's concert...
Also, if you review the comparison test here -> http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=4​&APIComp=0 (external link)
Neither lens (70-200 2.8 IS II, nor the 70-200 2.8 non-IS) is perfect, but the non-IS can be tweaked in LR3 easily if I shoot near/full-frame images (ie, not cropping tons) on my 7D at max.resolution.
Comparing to my 100 macro, both the zooms are a "waste of money" if one wants perfection, but away from comparison charts, the non-IS should make life easier....
So for my money, I'd say to the OP get the non-IS 2.8.
Leave the new IS version II to people who can justify the extra cash....
Regards,
Simon

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2011 23:34 |  #13

skygod44 wrote in post #12067008 (external link)
But, isn't that because cars from the USA were a pile of pants, back then?
;-)a
Our problem here is tax/exchange rates...
[Ducks while big-block lovers throw anything they can get their hands on, at the screen!!!]

There was a definite dip in the quality curve from the mid '80s to the mid '90s.

Jay

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 21, 2011 23:38 |  #14

skygod44 wrote in post #12067109 (external link)
My skills are up to holding at 200mm (non-IS), and 110,000 yen is a bargain, IMO, for a classic piece of glass. And I'll use a monopod at the next gig.
But over $2000? It took me no time to dismiss that because: IS can go wrong; IS won't freeze motion from the subject; this lens won't be my main lens (for fun, I prefer primes);this lens should make the next gig a lot easier than last week's concert...
Also, if you review the comparison test here -> http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=4​&APIComp=0 (external link)
Neither lens (70-200 2.8 IS II, nor the 70-200 2.8 non-IS) is perfect, but the non-IS can be tweaked in LR3 easily if I shoot near/full-frame images (ie, not cropping tons) on my 7D at max.resolution.
Comparing to my 100 macro, both the zooms are a "waste of money" if one wants perfection, but away from comparison charts, the non-IS should make life easier....
So for my money, I'd say to the OP get the non-IS 2.8.
Leave the new IS version II to people who can justify the extra cash....
Regards,
Simon

Good luck handholding that in low-light situations. The II completely destroys the 70200 2.8 non-IS in comparison shots. I've now owned every variant of the 70200 line except for the lowly f/4 non-IS, and the superiority of the f/4 IS and f/2.8 II is overwhelming. It would be one thing if the 70200 2.8 non-IS had IQ on par with the II...
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=3​&APIComp=0 (external link)

If you're willing to sink $1000 into a 70200 2.8, you can't tell me you're poor. If you lack sufficient funds, you'd be investing in one of the sigma variants.

My Gearlist

skygod44
6,444 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 21, 2011 23:40 |  #15

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12067110 (external link)
There was a definite dip in the quality curve from the mid '80s to the mid '90s.

Really? Only then...?
;-)a
Semi-seriously though, I always thought views on "quality" were due to perspective, and comparisons being drawn when European and Japanese cars began to make headway in the States.
Here, we have annoyingly narrow, twisty roads that go up and down severe gradients....over there, 'mostly' you need a car that can traverse huge distances over poor quality roads.
The needs are different.
For example, to us, soft suspension and slow, gentle throttle response would/could get you killed.....
But to you guys, hard suspension and quick throttle response in any gear is meaningless/painful, 90% of the time....

sponsored links

3,733 views & 0 likes for this thread
Price Increases: Rethinking Lens Purchase
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.