Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Mar 2010 (Friday) 17:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= T2i / 550D users UNITE! (2) =-

this thread is locked
Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 22, 2011 14:18 |  #916

Maru, you should really get a flash. For those setup, it's almost essantial. You've got the talent, but your gear is limiting you a bit.

If you can't fork for a Canon flash, *holds breath* I'd recommend you a YN-560. The newest version seems fiable, I haven't had a problem with my 2 lastest. Over 1000 pop each. At 60$ shipped, you can't say no.

Of course if your budget allows for a Canon flash, go for it.

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links
marubozo
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 22, 2011 14:28 |  #917

Rivest wrote in post #12070665 (external link)
Maru, you should really get a flash. For those setup, it's almost essantial. You've got the talent, but your gear is limiting you a bit.

If you can't fork for a Canon flash, *holds breath* I'd recommend you a YN-560. The newest version seems fiable, I haven't had a problem with my 2 lastest. Over 1000 pop each. At 60$ shipped, you can't say no.

Thanks. Yeah, I know I need one and I'm not sure why I keep putting it off. I'm set on the 580EX but the ones in the for sale forum here usually sell instantly and I'm too slow :D I'm expecting to hear from my accountant any day now about my taxes so maybe I'll finally pull the trigger.

flickr (external link)

ranger50
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 22, 2011 14:33 |  #918

Rivest wrote in post #12070665 (external link)

David, Will this flash fire wirelessly?

EOS 60D/ 70-200L/ Sunpak PF30X/ Sunpak 6600PG platinum Plus ball head Tripod 59.95 / Pelican S.S. Large Military Camera case
It's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it, and not have it.;)

londonandlawson
511 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 22, 2011 14:42 |  #919
bannedPermanent ban

A friend is picking up a Speedlite 550 EX for me off craigslist in a different town that he happens to be in right now. That is more flash than I need but couldn't pas sit up for the price!

My 550 EX Speedlite is for sale, pm me!
My heatware
http://heatware.com/ev​al.php?id=21421 (external link)
http://myworld.ebay.co​m/mclldavidson (external link)

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 22, 2011 14:47 |  #920

marubozo wrote in post #12070712 (external link)
Thanks. Yeah, I know I need one and I'm not sure why I keep putting it off. I'm set on the 580EX but the ones in the for sale forum here usually sell instantly and I'm too slow :D I'm expecting to hear from my accountant any day now about my taxes so maybe I'll finally pull the trigger.

Great news! I also got a nice tax return. I'll buy a Manfrotto tripod with some of that money :)

ranger50 wrote in post #12070749 (external link)
David, Will this flash fire wirelessly?

Ranger, there is a couple way to fire it wirelessly.

The cheapest one is using it's built-in optical trigger. That means that when it sees a flash, it'll fire. I'm not sure about the T2i, but on the 60D you can select the onboard flash output. 1/64 is enough to trigger the YN-560. That's one way, but could work more or less outside in full sun.

Second one (my way), is by using radio triggers. I'm using a set of RF-602 to trigger my flash. Basically, you put a transmitter on top of your camera, where an external flash would go. You than put a receiver on the bottom of your flash, where it would lock onto the camera. Fire the shutter, it'll fire the transmitter and I'll tell your external flash to fire. Works really well. But manual flash only. No ETTL with cheap radio triggers. So you have to manually decide your flash power (which is a good thing, specially when working with off-camera flash). A set of RF-602 will cost you around 40$. They can also act as a remote for your camera. plug the receiver in your camera remote port (with the supplied cable) and press the button on top of the transmitter. It'll fire your camera :)

Third way is by using expensive triggers. You'll be able to do ETTL wirelessly. But they are costly. I don't have any need for wireless ETTL, so I skipped them.

Hi, I'm David.

KILLERCLOWN
Cream of the Crop
5,555 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 22, 2011 15:11 as a reply to  @ Rivest's post |  #921

It's officially summertime in the UK!!! Murdoch our pet Tortoise strolls onto the garden :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Murdoch (external link) by killer clown2011 (external link), on Flickr

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 22, 2011 15:14 |  #922

^^ Ugh. Still plenty of snow here in Montreal :|

Hi, I'm David.

eaglssong
Goldmember
3,342 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 22, 2011 15:20 |  #923

KILLERCLOWN wrote in post #12070956 (external link)
It's officially summertime in the UK!!! Murdoch our pet Tortoise strolls onto the garden :)

Wow. Killer has a built in model. Not fair!!

Since today seems to be bug day around here:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I was using that 500D closeup lens which is actually a filter. This is the best I've gotten so far with that thing.

:) Anne

ofwiah
658 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 22, 2011 15:24 |  #924

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5265/5551117882_cb98c50fea_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/flipspecial/5​551117882/  (external link)
surferwb (external link) by flipspecial (external link), on Flickr

Canon T2i (ungripped) [] 18-55 mm 3.5 IS [] 55-250 mm IS [] Nify fifty...Favorite lens by a long shot...nifty 250

ofwiah
658 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 22, 2011 15:30 |  #925

Vectoria wrote in post #12069096 (external link)
Awesome shot of the moon I can see some crators on the side of the moonbw!

Welcome:)

Annie is right I am new also and have learned so much through everybody here and I started by reading a book a book also: David Busch's Canon EOS Rebel T2i/550D Guide to Digital SLR Photography by David D. Busch. Never be affaid to ask a question;)

Vectoria, thank you. Remember, when you get your nifty 250 and you want a good shot at the moon, wait until it gets high in the sky.

Canon T2i (ungripped) [] 18-55 mm 3.5 IS [] 55-250 mm IS [] Nify fifty...Favorite lens by a long shot...nifty 250

ofwiah
658 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 22, 2011 15:35 |  #926

Vectoria,

I agree with Annie on the book that she has recommended: Canon EOS Rebel T2i/550D From Snapshots to Great Shots by Jeff Revel.. This book is hard to beat. Do a search on line and read some reviews on it.

dirkkristen
131 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 22, 2011 15:43 as a reply to  @ post 12070365 |  #927

Guys, have caught up on SOME of the posts, (5 pages?) - all I can say is - get ready!!

=)) got some GREAT shots down in Cape Town, Praying Mantis macros, amazing clouds and a stunning wedding... Can't wait to share !

cheers for now,

Dirk

Canon 5D MK II - Gripped
EF 24-70mm F2.8 L / EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS / EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS / EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro / EF 50mm f/1.4 / Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 / Kenko Extensions Set / YongNuo YN-468 / 2x 32 GB Class 10 SD / Manfrotto 055XPROB & 410 Geared Head
-=[flickr]=- (external link) -= [Facebook] =- (external link) -= [ Crystal & Mineral / Personal Website] =- (external link)

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,843 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 22, 2011 15:47 |  #928

LuFaiNe wrote in post #12069893 (external link)
Digital Tuned, Nice bored shot. Are you Boricua?

Born and raised ;)

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

ofwiah
658 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 22, 2011 16:13 |  #929

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5181/5550535873_937cf7f32d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/flipspecial/5​550535873/  (external link)
crowwb (external link) by flipspecial (external link), on Flickr

RafaPolit
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 22, 2011 16:22 |  #930

Welcome to POTN and/or the T2i section LuckyBird, Jdizzle0305 and wizanne86! For those undecided, just jump in, this is a great camera and price vs. features it is the best option, IMHO. The saved money can go to glass, which is surely the place to invest.

Marrian, I like the new evolved copyright with your name on it! :) You have posted some really interesting locations! Some seem a bit over processed for my taste, but I enjoy them. Are they all HDRs? I see some haloing that may suggest so, but it could be some post process as well.

Jdizzle, also interesting sets, now, those look even more like HDRs :) are they? I believe most are a bit lacking in contrast for my personal taste (specially in the blacks) but that could have been the intention. At any rate, you'll have lots of car fans here to share the enthusiasm :)

Wizanne, great to hear you are enjoying the camera and that you are studying it. That's a great combo and a sure recipe for good photos! Don't be scared to share them here... worst you can get are some pointers on what some of us would have done different (according to the subjective perspective of each person giving advise), at best you will get lots of praise for you images! So, as you see, you have nothing to lose. Looking forward to your images.

n4ck, you continue to provide amazing pictures, and from realms other than landscaping, you truly have the eye for photography.

KillerClown, great lady-bug shots. I agree with Al, they tend to fly away when they hear the focusing motor :)

Al, great macros, specially the second one. You can see each sub-eye on that thing! Have I told you I hate wasps :)

TeleFragger, for me, a diffuser of any kind makes all the world of difference! The harsh and frontal shadows of a straight on-camera flash are as close to horrible that sometimes I think its better to aim for a blurry image rather than a front-flash-lit one. Diffused, on the other hand, you get a lot more subtlety and depth to the shadows. DigitalTuned posted a few pages back some comparisons of direct vs. bounced flash that were pretty conclusive.

Marubozo, I really like the glass-in-glass concept! What seems weird is that the moment you took the image, you have a bloby look on the rim of the large glass which looks almost like echo gel rather than water. Perhaps a split of a second later you would have caught some individual drops of water? Again, nice concept. I agree on the seamless background. Good luck on the 580EX, I agree they sell like hot-cakes in the for sale.

Rivest, congrats on the Manfroto. Please report any differences... I am curious as if the name really carries that much better feel to it.

Annie
, I thought I have explained already that wasps and bees are strictly forbidden here!!! :) Nice shot! May I ask what ISO are you using? Picture looks a tad noisy, but the size of the noise also suggests a large crop. I'm curious.

Ofwiah
, nice surfer image! Crisp splashing water and nice DoF.

Dirkkristen, great to hear about all the great shots!! We look forward to them!

DigitalTuned, no idea you were Puerto Rican, un abrazo desde el Ecuador!

Rafa.

Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 70-200 f4L | EF-S 10-22 | 430EX II |
Picture Galleries at:
www.rafaelpolit.com (external link)

sponsored links

949,249 views & 0 likes for this thread
-= T2i / 550D users UNITE! (2) =-
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.