Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 May 2009 (Wednesday) 17:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hong Kong POTNers & TF models?

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Dec 17, 2010 08:44 |  #736
bannedPermanent ban

Lol I was kidding. :)

sponsored links
macobee
Goldmember
1,843 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 27, 2010 08:00 |  #737

Hong Kong under construction and by night!

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5082/5296157713_5c776d59ca_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/marcoveringa/ (external link)

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 08, 2011 08:17 |  #738

How're things going for you guys? Happy be-lated New Year by the way.

I was hoping to get a quote from the closest service center to me over at Irvine in California, which is 6 hours away by car. Went there because my friends wanted to go down to Los Angeles anyway. Too bad I didn't know they were closed on the 23rd and 24th, so I went down there for nothing :(

well, my 24-105 is still broken and neither do I have no clue how much it will cost me to bring it back to working order nor the cost to fix my 7D's screen (possibly shooting too long in the rain). I think I overestimated purpose the weather seal and knew something would happen when the top display starts fogging up that day. I seemed to me that there can be water damage to certain circuit, causing the screen to show funny colors. It was doing it momentarily in the beginning, but I couldn't stop the problem by placing de-humidifying packs inside a sealed bag (may be the packs aren't strong enough. Who knows). The rest of the body, however, functions normally.

Last year wasn't so good nor I have a good start this year. Besides needing to find out a definitive answer to my career-related decisions (the sooner the better), I will be moving into a house in a month. Yup, time to tighten up expenses (and I'm really bad at it). So I may eventually sell my gear just so I have something in my pocket when I need it. The 7D and the 24-105 seemed sour as far as what I can get from selling them, but at least the 70-200 f/2.8 IS Mark II is safe.

Chinese New Year is coming and good luck to you guys.

Canon 7D
-580EX II
-24-105 f/4L IS USM (Now fixed!)

Wummy
490 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 10, 2011 02:07 |  #739

macobee wrote in post #11521114 (external link)
Hong Kong under construction and by night!

QUOTED IMAGE

nice.. I have few images I'm working on from this site as well.. I'm into industrial stuff.... and this site w/ all its cranes are sick.

hows the meet up??? any particular I can tag along and meet you guys Marco?

Gear List
http://ishot.ca (external link)

macobee
Goldmember
1,843 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 10, 2011 02:13 |  #740

sure just go to meetup.com and sign up then find hong kong photography club and join, est voila automatically you get all our meetup news!

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/marcoveringa/ (external link)

Wummy
490 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 10, 2011 02:36 |  #741

Just signed up; I think meet up tmr night is full.. I'll watch for next one then!

Gear List

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 12, 2011 11:28 |  #742

Hey guys, I only just found this thread! I'm from HK :)
I was just wondering about lens replacement policies in HK stores... In the UK and US it seems that if you have a bad copy of a lens (say its slightly soft), you can return it for another one without any problem. I get the impression that this isn't possible in HK, and that you can only return or exchange the lens if it has a serious defect? Is this correct?
I'm considering buying a sigma 30mm 1.4, but I've read so many bad things about its autofocus, that I'm close to forgetting it completely, and going for something else. If I did buy a copy of that lens at say fortress, or wing shing, or echo photo & audio, and it did turn out to front or back focus, would I be able to replace it with another one, and repeat that process until I got a good copy, or would they make me just send it off to sigma for repairs/service?
thanks!

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

bobobird
Cream of the Crop
5,138 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 12, 2011 17:21 |  #743

Sirrith - shops in HK will normally have a 7-10 day return/replace policy. Make sure you ask about it. And within that period it is usually possible to replace (returns maybe a bit difficult, but ask anyway). I had one that was not totally satisfactory and took it back. Salesman immediately offered me another of the same AND gave me another 10 days on the replacement.

If you are outside of the 7-10 days, then the usual method is to take the warranty path.

Always find the same salesman who did the initial order. Btw, my experience is with Wing Shing only.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 13, 2011 02:12 |  #744

ah right, thats very helpful, thanks bobo :) I was concerned because I asked at fortress about returns and the answer the salesman gave me was something along the lines of no returns/exchange unless there's a bad defect. I'll try asking at wing shing next time I'm in HK.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 16, 2011 03:52 |  #745

I had a strange problem when I had my 450D/XSi. The first one froze while I was playing with it during an afternoon tea. Went back for an exchange, but the screen can go fuzzy for a brief moment and went back to normal (an unusual and rare phenomenon) . So I exchanged for a 3rd one within their no-questions-asked period, the same phenomenon still exist over time. I just forget about it afterward since everything functions normally.

On a note, I'm selling my 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM Mark II. I could have keep using it, but saw this great opportunity where a friend of mine found someone selling a rare and never-installed supercharger for my car that I can call it a project at school. I really hope I can show him the money before someone else jump on it as this will put what I learned at school to the test and give me something to write about in my resume.

Let's hope good things will happen this year so I can fix the lens and body...

Canon 7D
-580EX II

flickserve
835 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 16, 2011 04:00 |  #746

If you were in HK, I'd buy it off you

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 16, 2011 04:46 |  #747

Oops. I didn't realize I posted already. Continue.

What's also new with me? I entered a photo contest for the first time. A year ago, I saw a figure-based photo contest that I felt confident to enter the next time it takes place. I was getting used to the 70-200 f/2.8 IS Mark II a couple months ago and came up with a good picture I was very happy with after messing with the flash for a few hours (also happen to be a wallpaper I'm really satisfied). I ran out of idea since then and submitted it before the deadline a couple days ago in Japan (It's an exhibition by GoodSmile Company where they had the photo contest in the last couple years. This is the 5th time they offered it). I looked at the winning photos of the past contests, but I'm not sure what are the things the judges look for. If I have the right characters to put together a story in a photo is one of best way, but someone took a butt of a figure and managed to win 2nd place of their 2nd contest :confused:. Having the best creativity does not necessary mean a guaranteed win as there is no limitation in post-processing. The selection stage already took place where the top 200 will be chosen and announced on the 21st of this month for public online voting. I don't have a good figure combination nor an award-winning idea, but I believe my photo will look nice to take the top 200.

I would like to show you guys the photo if you guys want to see it.

Canon 7D
-580EX II

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 16, 2011 04:50 |  #748

flickserve wrote in post #11650674 (external link)
If you were in HK, I'd buy it off you

I can always ship it back. My dad told me this lens is still in high demand with limited supply in Hong Kong. I already posted it on the Classified an hour ago.

Canon 7D
-580EX II

Wummy
490 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 18, 2011 09:38 |  #749

guys! thinking to join a tour to go into China this new years.... need help to pick Fujian, or to

杭州 西湖, 寒山!?!???

my concern is the north part of Shanghai might be too cold... and the scenery destroyed due to the cold weather.. hmmmm pls any suggestions would help!

thanks!!

Gear List

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 23, 2011 04:29 |  #750

Looks like there hasn't been any activity here for quite some time...

Well. I finally got both my body (LCD crapped out) and the 24-105 (detached from lens mount after a drop) fixed just in time for spring. Didn't send them back to Hong Kong though.

Canon 7D
-580EX II

sponsored links

79,242 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hong Kong POTNers & TF models?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.