Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 22 Mar 2011 (Tuesday) 21:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Few from this Morning. C & C Welcomed

Ronin3801
37 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2011 21:07 |  #1

Finally got a day off, so went to the beach with the wife and step daughter. Still real new at this so any feed back is greatly appreciated.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 22, 2011 22:09 |  #2

The exposure is very much off on both of these?

Gorgeous gal.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

MrJack787
234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 22, 2011 22:16 |  #3

Agreed, the exposure is too high resulting in the photos looking a bit washed out. Also the 1st seems to have a lot of grain to it, was that a result from export? Or maybe your iso was to high? Try these again, you've got a beautiful subject. Shouldn't be too hard to get em' right!

EOS 5D Mark II - EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM - EF 50mm f/1.4 USM - EF 40mm f/2.8 STM - Speedlite 600EX-RT - Alien Bees B800 x2

www.bendawsonphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Ronin3801
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2011 22:28 as a reply to  @ MrJack787's post |  #4

Yeah, the iso was high at the beginning of the day because we were there before the sun rise. I forgot to change it until later. Also shooting into the sun was real tricky. Really had no idea what I was doing. Like I said.. I'm a noob. Any tips?

jerefish
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 23, 2011 08:40 |  #5

Do I have to be the one who asks if this is the wife or step daughter? Depending on the answer we may need to talk to Dr Phil...lol

Jeremy or jfish works
Canon 7d | 70-200 F/4 L
| 28-70mm f/2.8 L
Flickr (external link) | Website (external link) | Julianne Grace 365

rc9999
62 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 23, 2011 09:36 |  #6

jerefish wrote in post #12075629 (external link)
Do I have to be the one who asks if this is the wife or step daughter? Depending on the answer we may need to talk to Dr Phil...lol

Totally agree with you!

Rob

Ronin3801
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 23, 2011 15:07 as a reply to  @ rc9999's post |  #7

Lol that's actually my step daughter who is inspiring to be a model, her mom is just as beatuiful and nothing wierd is going on that would be worth seeking professional help except of course for my terrible photography skills, and that's want you guys are for :cool:

SmilingFox
375 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 23, 2011 16:36 |  #8

I agree with other comments about exposure, but I would like to say that I like the crop and pose in the first one.

Canon T1i Nifty 50, 35-135 f4-5.6, 70-200 f4, 580, 2x 430s, and a super long Ettl cord
Family Portraits in The Woodlands, TX (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 23, 2011 16:39 |  #9

I think the white balance is off. Was a flash used? In ACR it looks much too warm.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

cameronrinut
132 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 23, 2011 16:54 |  #10

Let her know if She ever is in Utah to look me up I'm always looking for an amazingly hot model to practice on as well. Did you use a reflector or a flash to light her? with the sun to her back I'd do all you can to get more light on her to compensate.

5D MKII-Gripped / T2i / 17-40f/4L / 28-300f/3.5-5L IS / 70-200f/4L / canon 2x II extender / Cheapo 600-1300 Telephoto+2x converter / carbon fiber kick A tripod / a partridge in a pear tree.
My Flickr (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 23, 2011 17:46 |  #11

I think you did a good job on both. Was the sun almost set in the first photo?

The second pose seems like she's leaning forward making her stance seem uncertain. Also, I would include the post of the left completely or not at all.

Ronin3801
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 23, 2011 18:57 as a reply to  @ frugivore's post |  #12

Actually this was at sunrise not sunset. As for the second pic. I included it because I like the expression on her face not necessarily the pose itself but I do see what you mean about the post. Wow soooo many things to consider just to take a photo. I really don't know how you guys keep all this stuff straight in your heads. But thank you for the comments, I need to read up about using my flash (which I clueless about..and yes I was using a flash) and proper exposure when shooting in sunlight.

le37
181 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 23, 2011 22:28 |  #13

sounds like you have the right idea... expose for the sunny background and hit her with the flash.
were you using the on-board flash or a speedlite? Maybe it didn't have enough power to fill?

I'm a noob. Here to learn.

JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 24, 2011 01:09 |  #14

I think a flash would have made these pictures perfect.

http://gallerytx.com (external link)
5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain

Crystal ­ W ­ Photography
500 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 24, 2011 09:28 |  #15

Love the posing, composition and colors. However the woman needs to have some fill light. Using a flash would help.

Crystal
www.crystalwightman.co​m (external link)
Add me on Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,755 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Few from this Morning. C & C Welcomed
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.