Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 22 Mar 2011 (Tuesday) 10:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cloning out flashes off of a car

OwensSi
Goldmember
1,020 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 22, 2011 10:47 |  #1

Can anyone help me?
I have CS4 and I've tried the clone stamp tool, healing brush.. I can't figure it out. This is the best I've got:

Unedited:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Light shoot attempt #3! (external link) by Owensi (external link), on Flickr

Edited
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_0200 (external link) by Owensi (external link), on Flickr

and the thing that sucks is that photoshop is on my HP non Hi-Res screen and when i take it over to my mac it doesnt look as good. ugh

sponsored links
kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,929 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 22, 2011 10:59 |  #2

You're probably going to have to post the unedited version to get help. Otherwise, while we can imagine what you did (cloned out hotspots of flash reflecting in the body or window glass) a "before" image will get you more specific answers.

kirk

Kirk
---

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,020 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 22, 2011 12:22 |  #3

around like the front lip the hot spot, i am clueless as to how it can be cloned..

PhotosGuy
75,910 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 23, 2011 10:01 |  #4

OwensSi wrote in post #12069978 (external link)
around like the front lip the hot spot, i am clueless as to how it can be cloned..

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=7673809&po​stcount=11

Selecting areas in PS.

and the thing that sucks is that photoshop is on my HP non Hi-Res screen and when i take it over to my mac it doesnt look as good. ugh

Compare your shot to these without flash, & ask yourself "Do I really want to spend hours removing flash highlights?" ;)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 23, 2011 10:59 |  #5

How did you light this shot. Lighting is the root of your problem.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

LSU
167 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 23, 2011 12:01 |  #6

Compare those shots to these with lighting (external link), & ask yourself "Do I really want poorly lit, underexposed images of cars, or do I want to learn and progress towards something that makes my work stand out?"

Canon 5D Mark III
Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX DG Fisheye | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM

http://blake.zenfolio.​com/portfolio (external link)

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,020 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2011 12:04 |  #7

PhotosGuy wrote in post #12076031 (external link)

Selecting areas in PS.
Compare your shot to these without flash, & ask yourself "Do I really want to spend hours removing flash highlights?" ;)

thanks man.. i'll def take a look at that

poloman wrote in post #12076423 (external link)
How did you light this shot. Lighting is the root of your problem.

Seeing as I only have one flash.. set the shutter for 30 seconds.. I went around painted it the car with the flash.. is there a more effective way to achieve a better outcome with the equipment I have? (I dont have a wireless transmitter) :(

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,020 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2011 12:06 |  #8

YES!!!

LSU wrote in post #12076790 (external link)
Compare those shots to these with lighting (external link), & ask yourself "Do I really want poorly lit, underexposed images of cars, or do I want to learn and progress towards something that makes my work stand out?"

and MORE YESSS! That's what I want but I have no clue how to! I know that's a lot of photoshop work in those shots.

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,020 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2011 12:25 |  #9

ok so i keep trying to clone out the hotspots but i swear it fades them.. then when I try to go over them again, it brightens them?

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 23, 2011 12:41 |  #10

Screenshot of Photoshop? (including layers and toolbar)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,020 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2011 13:16 |  #11

OK I'm not 100% on what I did wrong but I restarted everything and now the cloning is actually working good. I have no clue what prevented it before =/ but this is what I've done..

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5189/5553765242_82c0716aed_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/owensss/5553765​242/  (external link)
2007 Civic Si (external link) by Owensi (external link), on Flickr

NicholasP
382 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 23, 2011 13:21 |  #12

Selecting areas in PS.

Honestly, the OP's image is better than any of the ones you posted for a number of reasons. (IE: HERE: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1017337 )

He could refine them by adding light sources and changing his placement.

Example of one of my shots.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3581/3451723098_7100e17605_z.jpg
LARGE: http://www.flickr.com …in/set-72157616871983139/ (external link)

2 lights. Did not spend hours removing any flash highlights because there were not any. Only subtle accents on the front bumper. Terrible of you to try and convince someone to NOT use lighting.

To the OP, keep trying and going your direction. Work on setting up multiple sources, and using ambient light as well. Learn to control your light sources with your surroundings. Take it back a notch, use some shoot through umbrellas or softboxes to decrease the harsh highlights.

Removing the backgrounds is one of the most novice things you could do as a photographer. Work with them.

Also work on your composition and leveling. you're on the right track. I also read you are light painting. If that is the issue and you are strapped for cash for more gear, you can also put the camera on the tripod, shoot one side with a stationary strobe, then reposition the light on the other side or where you prefer, take another shot and then stack them in PS.

Nikon D3s Crew

NicholasP
382 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 29, 2011 11:27 |  #13

Have you done anything else with this?

Nikon D3s Crew

sponsored links

1,832 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cloning out flashes off of a car
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.