Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Mar 2011 (Saturday) 19:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking abot switching to Cannon!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 19, 2011 23:33 |  #16

I've never used a Nikon so I will not engage in discussing them.

Since you asked specifically about Canon (and since this is a Canon forum) I will try to actually give you some feedback:)!

Of the two bodies you mentioned I'd recommend the 1D3 -- people talk about AF problems when it first came out and they addressed those problems with both a hardware fix and a software fix. To this day it is very highly regarded both in performance and image quality. And, some of the upgraded features on the 1D3 make it a nice choice over the 1D2(N).

If your Pentax struggles with action shots (is it a 4:3 mirrorless camera?) then yeah a DSLR will win the day.

Alternatives to the 1D3 in the Canon lineup are the less expensive 7D with a newly designed autofocus system that puts it up there close to the 1D bodies, and then the 60D, again lower-priced and with the older AF system but no slouch in performance. Any of these cameras, paired with a good lens or two, will show a real edge in capturing sports/action, so I'd say it's what you can afford, as long as you budget in a good lens, such as the 85mm f/1.8 and/or a 70-200 -- both very highly regarded for sports and action shooting (other lenses may perform fine but you can also end up with lenses that suck for these things -- look for lenses with very good reputations).

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,758 posts
Gallery: 1684 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 19, 2011 23:36 |  #17

What I find intriguing/amusing is that if Nikon is doing as well as Sp1207 states, why is he still shooting with a Canon? (Or is the gear-list in the sig completely outdated, even though it was just edited 1 day ago?) As the D7000's sensor has every Canon sensor beat being ultimate in IQ, and as important as he is drilling that fact into nearly every Canon/Nikon/Pentax thread of late... why isn't he shooting with one?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 20, 2011 05:43 |  #18

Sp1207 wrote in post #12053243 (external link)
Nikon D7000 has both of them beat on IQ (it actually has the 5DII beat on IQ as well), and has the 1DII beat on AF (my personal experience). You also get the HD video/other modern accessories compared to the 1D2/3.

LOL!
Actually models like the Canon 60D easily beats the Nikon D7000 in image quality, "AF", ISO performance, video and more!
http://www.popphoto.co​m …011/01/lab-test-canon-60d (external link)
http://www.photoradar.​com …vs-nikon-d7000?page=0%2C4 (external link)

and if using a Canon 7D .....

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Mar 20, 2011 06:07 |  #19

watt100 wrote in post #12054657 (external link)
LOL!
Actually models like the Canon 60D easily beats the Nikon D7000 in image quality, "AF", ISO performance, video and more!
http://www.popphoto.co​m …011/01/lab-test-canon-60d (external link)
http://www.photoradar.​com …vs-nikon-d7000?page=0%2C4 (external link)

and if using a Canon 7D .....

Image quality along with AF speed and accuracy is a combination of lens and body--how do they come up with these definitive numbers between different brands?

According to the popphoto test method my 40D has better AF than a 1 series:rolleyes:

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 20, 2011 08:01 |  #20

My personal reasons for sticking with Canon include (but are not limited to), my family shoots Canon so I can give them advice/share gear, my local shops are almost all Canon (except for one my buddy owns), I got my 1DsII for basically nothing, Nikon's full-frame is too rich for me.

Watt, where's the 3rd review you typically post?

Also, the D7000 has excellent DR and color depth, but the ISO and color depth are below that of the 1DsIII. Not to mention resolution. The 5DII is certainly no slouch, but the 2 stop advantage in DR the D7000 makes it preferable for many applications in landscapes/portraits/m​aximum flexibility in post. I should also mention the D7000 is NOT full-frame, so if you hate the crop effect, then you should be looking at an older 1Ds or 5D classic.

Gear

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 20, 2011 08:03 |  #21

I won't defend popphoto or photoradar, but I shot several shots with a friends D7000 and compared images to my 7D and 5DII and the IQ is not superior. To me, the IQ and high ISO noise abilities are very close to the 7D. The only way it is better than a 5DII is if you are pushing the exposure several stops then you don't get the banding. However, we typically don't judge IQ on improperly exposed images :)

Jason

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 20, 2011 09:33 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

Thinking abot switching to Cannon

The thread name (Cannon) is wrong, it's called (Canon)

The (abot) is called (about)

(Cannon) is what the Chinese fake name is call on some batteries sold in 3rd party shops.

Gear List

grunticus
204 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 20, 2011 09:38 |  #23

ChallengedOne wrote in post #12052426 (external link)
Have been using Pentax for almost nine years. I shoot mainly sports and nature related scenes. As long as I'm not shooting fast action animals or sports I can survive. Quite frankly I'm tired of adapting to and fighting my equipment as well as waiting on pentax to develop lenses to capture it.
I currently shoot Pentax K10D 10.2mpx

Thanks Andrew

I switched from a K10D to a Canon 7D after one disappointment too many in regards to the AF performance of the K10D, or lack thereof. I am now a happy man. The 7D amazed me many times, and my keeper rate went up considerably. With a 1D it schouldn't be much defferent.

Cheers,

Leon

Eos 5D | EF 40 2.8 STM

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 20, 2011 09:48 |  #24

ChallengedOne wrote in post #12052426 (external link)
Have been using Pentax for almost nine years. I shoot mainly sports and nature related scenes. As long as I'm not shooting fast action animals or sports I can survive. Quite frankly I'm tired of adapting to and fighting my equipment as well as waiting on pentax to develop lenses to capture it.

Cannon equipment to consider? So far I am liking the following:

eos 1d mark ii
eos 1d mark iii

I currently shoot Pentax K10D 10.2mpx

Thanks Andrew

I have yet to use a 1D3 but I have owned a 1D2 and the 1D2N. From my experience I can tell you that the 1D2 is an incredible camera and I think you would be very pleased with it's lightning fast AF, tank-like construction, and long battery life. ISO performance is excellent up to 1600 but requires some noise reduction at 3200. I strongly recommend looking around for the "N" version with the larger screen and improved (faster) buffer if you decide to go with the 1D2. Good luck! :)

Gear List & Feedback

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 20, 2011 10:42 as a reply to  @ 10megapixel's post |  #25

I have owned, used and loved both cameras in question.
The 1D2 is a true work horse. The AF is flawless and the function is perfect.
It does have a couple downsides though.
1. The batteries are very heavy and do not last as long as the 1D3 batteries.
2. It has a 2 hand operation. Meaning you have to hold down some of the buttons while changing settings.
3. Limited to no suppose with new OS. You need to hook this camera up Via firewire to change some of the settings. I could not find any drivers for 64 bit vista ( at the time) and I could not adjust my settings on my computer. i had to use an old XP laptop.

dont let any of this discourage you though it is a great camera,.

If you shoot JPEG the 1D2 does not have picture styles. The 1D2n does.

The canon 1d3 Is a amazing camera too. The AF has a ton of settings in there that allows you to fine tune it to your needs. master that and your subject will have a hard time shaking your AF. i bought a separate book just on the AF of this camera. Truthfully I hated the AF at first. it was bad. once I set everything up I was amazed. Dont be scared of the AF issues with this camera. i think it was a lot of user error. I knwo some were defective but I think there was a lot if user error.

With both of these cameras you can use a 5.6 lens and a 1.4 TC. It maintains the ability to AF at f/8

If you like the newer tech of a slicker menu system Go with the 1D3 I see them going for near 1600 now and that is a great deal.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

Ekean
111 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 23, 2011 12:26 |  #26

From my personal usage, my 1D Mark iii was one of the originally infected off the production line. So if you look to a mark iii, make sure it has been serviced by Canon and the focusing is up to date. After I got it fixed, the initial focusing was superb. However, it tended to be inaccurate in low light situations.

Nikon D3s | Nikon 20 f/1.8g | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | Nikon 85 f/1.8g |

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2011 14:07 |  #27

So the D7000 has better image quality than a full-frame 5D2 and better AF than the most modern Canon 1-series?.... man, I gotta get me one of those!

Anyway, trying to ignore the strange statements and DxO-trashtalk, i'd say get the 1D2 or a 7D. Save the money by getting a better tele. The 1D2 will probably have the more accurate AF for sports, but the crop'ability of the 7D will be useful for sports. Oh and the 7D's AF is hardly primitive.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,726 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 23, 2011 14:34 |  #28

If I had to change systems the nikon d7000 is probably one of the biggest bangs for the buck. Seems unbiased reports claim the crop d7000 is cleaner than the 7D at higher ISO's. Mind you the d7000 is newer on the market.

canon 7d or nikon d7000 is a good toss up in great modern crop bodies.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links

2,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking abot switching to Cannon!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.