Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 12:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera weight fatigue - solutions?

CiM_Photography
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 23, 2011 12:03 |  #1

Last year I shot multiple weddings, family portrait sessions and birthdays with my 40D/18-50 Sigma/580ex (with dome) combo. I was using a padded neoprene strap (Op Tech brand) and the whole assembly felt manageable for me to carry all day without a lot of fatigue.

Now, I've got my 5Dc with BG, 24-70L, 580ex (plus a QuikBounce) and am also considering adding a TD-381 to my hip. I shot a 4 hour birthday party last Sunday and I was completely drained by the end of it. I was using the standard Canon strap...

Other than swapping over the Op Tech strap, what else can I do to help my situation? I wasn't concerned about weight until just the past weekend (first event with my new rig). Help?

Just call me Jeremy. <Massachusetts Wedding & Portrait Photographer (external link) | Gear List>

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,189 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 23, 2011 12:06 |  #2

The strap will help, you could lose the grip as its optional if the total weight is an issue.

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 23, 2011 12:23 |  #3

Black Rapid RS-7

/thread

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

CiM_Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 23, 2011 12:46 |  #4

Woah - nice piece. Thanks!

Just call me Jeremy. <Massachusetts Wedding & Portrait Photographer (external link) | Gear List>

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 23, 2011 13:12 |  #5

I would recommend the Cotton Carrier. I wear it all day and I don't feel fatigued.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,315 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 23, 2011 13:21 |  #6

I find the position of the strap to make at least as much difference as the brand. I went from the Canon neck strap to the Optech neck strap. It helped, but it was still a lot of weight on my neck. When I started wearing it sling style, putting the weight on my shoulder, it made a big difference.

katodog
Goldmember
4,122 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 23, 2011 13:23 |  #7

Cotton Carrier times infinity plus 1. No neck, back, or shoulder pain or strain

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

CiM_Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 23, 2011 13:27 |  #8

Okay - so here's the big question. I shoot weddings - how professional can this be made to look? Does it hide well under a suit jacket?

robscomputer
429 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 23, 2011 13:40 as a reply to  @ CiM_Photography's post |  #9

Remove the battery grip, that's a good amount of weight right there. Also is the weight problem holding the camera, or weight around your neck, or all of the above? I personally didn't mind the weight around my neck but my right hand would get cramped from holding a heavy camera.

Amateur photographer

katodog
Goldmember
4,122 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 23, 2011 14:48 |  #10

The Cotton Carrier actually looks pretty good with a suit or tux, at least the guys I've seen in pics wearing it at weddings and such look good. It may seem a bit obvious to people but for the most part a lot of people just look right past it. All they see is a guy with a few cameras. I'd rather have the neat and tidy appearance of the Cotton Carrier over having gear bobble and swing on straps, to me straps look sloppy.

With the Cotton Carrier you can take your straps off and use the cameras bare, nothing gets in your way and nothing dangles around looking messy. The worse thing is the excess that hangs out for the adjustment straps, and that can easily be fixed. Once you have the Carrier fitted to you, take some black electrical tape and tape the excess strap, or cut it off and burn the edges.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

chrisandaivi
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 23, 2011 14:51 |  #11

+1 on the blackrapid!! very nice gear!!

Gear: 5D Mark II, Canon 85mm 1.2 L ,Canon 17-40mm F4L
Canon 24-70mm F2.8L, Canon 70-200mm F4L
580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 23, 2011 15:19 |  #12

+2 for the blackrapid. GEtting it off your neck and onto your shoulder makes all the difference.

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 23, 2011 15:33 as a reply to  @ OneyedJack's post |  #13

Can anything be possibly more visually intrusive at a wedding than a photographer looking like Universal Soldier all strapped up and with cameras attached in disconcerting ways that a Cotton Carrier affords?

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 23, 2011 15:50 as a reply to  @ Savas K's post |  #14

Bring along wife, girlfriend or friend and let them carry your stuff.

spkerer
953 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2011 17:11 |  #15

Savas K wrote in post #12078156 (external link)
Can anything be possibly more visually intrusive at a wedding than a photographer looking like Universal Soldier all strapped up and with cameras attached in disconcerting ways that a Cotton Carrier affords?

Yes, many many things can be more visually intrusive. I was at an event recently where the photographer was using the Cotton Carrier and was wearing all black. They were very unobtrusive. They moved about the venue pretty gracefully and unobtrusively. I know that wasn't ALL the CC, but it helped because they could move as they wanted and nothing was flopping around, swinging free, etc.

Leesburg, Virginia
http://photos.kusterer​s.net (external link)

sponsored links

2,152 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera weight fatigue - solutions?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.