Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Mar 2011 (Monday) 21:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Choosing a Bag and why go with ThinkTank

Playonpics.com
929 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 21, 2011 21:43 |  #1

Alright, so i've been like many others out there starting out wanting to get a bag. Whether it was just a sling one or a backpack to a rollerbag. I know alot of poeple have asked, why should i go with a certain company over another.
I started out with a Lowepro bag as my first bag buy, i liked it, however durability i found wasn't there. To say i'm abit rougher on my gear than the hobbiest would be true. However no matter what type of photographer you are, you need it to simply last, and having to buy something twice doesn't make a lick of sense.
Last summer i decided to finally jump on the train of ThinkTank. While i found their bags were abit higher price i can finally see why. I heard of stories that a photographer had one of their bags for years and its took on major abuse and he sent it to them for repair. They ended up sending him a whole new bag free of charge.

Well i thought i share another great note from our lovely friends of ThinkTank
I bought a International V2 bag and a AI15 laptop bag over the summer. Now for thoses that don't know, these's bags work together. The roller bag has a kagaroo like pouch on the front to put a AI laptop bag in. However whats abit annoying that the strap for the laptop bag gets annoying and sometimes hard to put in. So i decided to take it off. Now maybe not one of my smarter moves but i did end up losing it.
I email our lovely friends at ThinkTank asking how much for a new strap. Randy replied saying whats your address we will send you one. However i replied saying it was my fault i lost the strap and i would be more than happy to pay (guessing around 20$, heavy duty strap) Yet Randy replied its no problem we do this for our customers.

Well just with that token, i will stay with ThinkTank til the day i stop buying photogear. To have a customer care group that cares that much is amazing in my eyes.
I hope for those wondering who to go with, go with a company that will support and fix their product 100% of the time at little to no cost to you.

Canon 1D MarkIII | Canon 7D | 70-200mm F/2.8L | 24-70mm F/2.8L| 300mm F/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 580EXII Flash | Computrekker | ThinkTank roller and beltsystem | Elinchrom (2) Dlites 4IT Canon Platinum CPS Member
www.playonpics.com (external link)

sponsored links
rdalrt
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 21, 2011 22:04 |  #2

Ditto. Also have had great experiences with Think Tank. Great equipment and great people to deal with.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

viktorsundberg
218 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 22, 2011 02:53 |  #3

Playonpics.com wrote in post #12066314 (external link)
I started out with a Lowepro bag as my first bag buy, i liked it, however durability i found wasn't there. To say i'm abit rougher on my gear than the hobbiest would be true.

My last backpack was a ThinkTank and yes, they are durable, but so are LowePro. I've had a LowePro shoulder bag for 12 years and I'm not really very careful with it. It's been with me to many parts of the world, it's been to all kinds of climates you can think of. I've used it for concerts and sport, it's been handled pretty roughly and it's still in very good shape. I have used it alot! I find it to be amazing really and I still use it now and then. I'm not sure what you do with your bags, but even though I'm using mainly ThinkTank now, the LowePros are very good...

5D mk III | TS-E 17 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 300 f/2.8L IS | 600 f/4L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | Gitzo tripods | RRS ballheads | Wimberley gimbal
Photographer and author from Sweden. Teacher at Canon and organizer of independent workshops. Visit my website: www.viktorsundberg.se (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 22, 2011 14:03 |  #4

Love my TT bags and cases. I honestly have an obscene amount of them.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 22, 2011 14:18 |  #5

Think Tank products are the best in my opinion! They seem to be designed for current camera and lens sizes to fit perfectly.

And Randy in customer service at Think Tank is very responsive, gives your issue thought and consideration, and is very helpful and informative.

I always turn to TT first when I need "yet-another" camera bag.:cool:

-howard

lukeap69
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 22, 2011 14:33 |  #6

that's a very nice story. i have the international V2 as well and never regretted buying it. wish they have more backpack choices though.

Arnold
Speedlite / Speedlight / Sunpak 120J Beauty Dish Rig (external link)
Gear
my Google+ Profile (external link)

Playonpics.com
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 22, 2011 21:08 |  #7

Ya like wise, i would like to trade up my lowepro one to a TT one.
But their card wallet, belt system, rollerbag and laptop = success
Need a water protector tho since Kata ones aren't great.

Canon 1D MarkIII | Canon 7D | 70-200mm F/2.8L | 24-70mm F/2.8L| 300mm F/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 580EXII Flash | Computrekker | ThinkTank roller and beltsystem | Elinchrom (2) Dlites 4IT Canon Platinum CPS Member
www.playonpics.com (external link)

NicolasRubio
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 23, 2011 11:00 as a reply to  @ Playonpics.com's post |  #8

timnosenzo wrote in post #12070582 (external link)
Love my TT bags and cases. I honestly have an obscene amount of them.

hfgarris wrote in post #12070664 (external link)
Think Tank products are the best in my opinion! They seem to be designed for current camera and lens sizes to fit perfectly.

And Randy in customer service at Think Tank is very responsive, gives your issue thought and consideration, and is very helpful and informative.

I always turn to TT first when I need "yet-another" camera bag.:cool:

-howard

We should start a club... :D

Gripped 7D - 3 Ls - 3 non-Ls - 580EX II - Too much Think Tank gear - Cotton Carrier Holster

Detailed Gear List - My Website (external link)

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 23, 2011 15:21 |  #9

This post got me off the fence and I now have a Retrospective 20 on the way.

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 23, 2011 19:15 |  #10

NicolasRubio wrote in post #12076429 (external link)
We should start a club... :D

I think we just did .... :D

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,315 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 23, 2011 19:25 |  #11

The only thing I really wish TT made is a bag like the LowePro flipsides. I like the idea of the main compartment being against my back for security and the potentially dirty side of the bag facing out. If they made a flipped around Street Walker Hard Drive, I think it would be pretty close to the perfect backpack.

NicolasRubio
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 23, 2011 21:03 |  #12

mike_d wrote in post #12079609 (external link)
The only thing I really wish TT made is a bag like the LowePro flipsides. I like the idea of the main compartment being against my back for security and the potentially dirty side of the bag facing out. If they made a flipped around Street Walker Hard Drive, I think it would be pretty close to the perfect backpack.

Isn't this (external link) what you want?

Gripped 7D - 3 Ls - 3 non-Ls - 580EX II - Too much Think Tank gear - Cotton Carrier Holster

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,315 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 23, 2011 21:58 |  #13

NicolasRubio wrote in post #12080193 (external link)
Isn't this (external link) what you want?

I don't really care for slings. When I want a backpack, its because I'm going to carry more weight than I want on one shoulder.

NicolasRubio
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 24, 2011 00:53 |  #14

mike_d wrote in post #12080482 (external link)
I don't really care for slings. When I want a backpack, its because I'm going to carry more weight than I want on one shoulder.

My bad... confused Flipside with Slingshot!

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 24, 2011 05:59 |  #15

I am considering the streetwalker, streetwalker pro or the sling-o-matic 10/20 for my 7D w/ 17-55mm attached and one or two additional lenses. This would be used for Disney. I can see the normal backpack having a lot of usable room but being inconvenient to ever switch lenses out of. At the same time, the sling-o-matic looks slightly odd imo with its boxy design and the sling strap. I haven't really been able to find many pictures of someone wearing it but it seems to sit really low on the back from videos I've seen.

Tough call.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

sponsored links

2,747 views & 0 likes for this thread
Choosing a Bag and why go with ThinkTank
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.