Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Mar 2011 (Thursday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Windy outdoor shooting...Is Carbon Fiber a must for a tripod?

r_winter
27 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 24, 2011 13:54 |  #1

I am a noobie and a hobbyist. I've been putting together a compact, lightweight kit for outdoor shooting, and I've decided on the Benro Transfunctional Travel Angel in the 0 series, (holds up to 13 lbs). It's really perfect for me, in every way.

I was all set to purchase the aluminum version, but really started to wonder...... When it comes to wind specifically, will CF make a big difference? The tripod has a weight hook, which I will definitely be using.

This area is windy on a regular basis. On the other hand, I am just a hobbyist, and I feel CF, at almost double the price for this model, is a bit extravagant for someone at my level. Any thoughts most welcome.

sponsored links
Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 24, 2011 14:14 |  #2

Why are you thinking that carbon fiber would be any better in wind? Not sure what the logic is here...It's 3 poles.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

Mike ­ Bell
Goldmember
2,977 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 24, 2011 14:22 as a reply to  @ Bendel's post |  #3

Carbon fibre is lighter and warmer to hold on a cold day. That's it. If those things are worth the extra cost to you, go for it.

I chose a CF tripod for trips involving air travel, but I keep a big tall aluminium one in the back of my car.

Canon EOS 5DS R EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM EF 28mm f/1.8 USM EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM TS-E 17mm f/4L TS-E 45mm f/2.8 TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,574 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 24, 2011 14:25 |  #4

Carbon Fiber does dampen vibrations more than aluminum, but I'm not sure how much that would help in heavy wind.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

r_winter
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 24, 2011 14:33 |  #5

Bendel wrote in post #12084532 (external link)
Why are you thinking that carbon fiber would be any better in wind? Not sure what the logic is here...It's 3 poles.

I don't think that, actually. I'm asking if other people think that.

r_winter
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 24, 2011 14:35 |  #6

thenextguy wrote in post #12084589 (external link)
Carbon Fiber does dampen vibrations more than aluminum, but I'm not sure how much that would help in heavy wind.

I guess it's the vibrations I'm wondering about. Besides wind, what else do I need to worry about?

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 24, 2011 14:38 |  #7

Wind usually causes "rotational" issues so torsional rigidity is a big key in tripods. Especially with bigger lenses.

I have a mid-range Induro CF tripod and it's fine with everything up to my 500mm. The problem with the 500 isn't weight, it's the fact that in a strong breeze, it acts like a weather vane and the particular tripod I use tends to want to twist.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 24, 2011 14:40 |  #8

As Jay alluded to, you want the absolute biggest heaviest and most rigid tripod you can carry if you want to make photographs in the wind. A lightweight carbon fiber tripod won't cut the mustard.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 24, 2011 14:42 |  #9

The more windy it is the heavier you want your legs to be. Now, that means if you have a set of light CF legs then you will need to find a way to weight it down. Heck, even with my aluminum Manfrotto legs I sometimes will clip my back to them to weigh them down more. It all comes down to being solid....lighter is not more solid, it is just lighter.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

r_winter
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 24, 2011 14:44 |  #10

Mike Bell wrote in post #12084578 (external link)
Carbon fibre is lighter and warmer to hold on a cold day. That's it. If those things are worth the extra cost to you, go for it.

I chose a CF tripod for trips involving air travel, but I keep a big tall aluminium one in the back of my car.

The model I'm looking at is under 3 lbs, so I'm OK with the weight. The temperature won't be a problem either.

I've just read so many discussions on 'vibrations,' and how CF handles them better. As a noobie, I'm assuming that wind is the primary culprit when it comes to causing vibrations.

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 24, 2011 14:48 |  #11

As thenextguy said, it does damp (to "dampen" is to "get wet"!) vibration better than Al but price and weight would be deciding factors.

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,464 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 24, 2011 14:49 |  #12

CF is more rigid than aluminum but may not be as stable as aluminum in wind. If you are OK with the weight of the aluminum tripod then get it, Benro makes a good quality product.

Two things about the tripod; I take it that "transfunctional" means that one of the legs comes off and can act as a monopod? That monopod will be shorter than a regular monopod and may not as usable as you think. The other thing is the number of leg sections, Benro make both 4 and 5-section legs in this series, go with a 4-section if you are OK with the folded length - more stable than a 5-section.

Also if you're planning on using the hook, get a large gate carabiner (external link) and hang your bag/weight from it so that it's resting on the ground and the strap is taut.

~Peter

r_winter
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 24, 2011 14:56 |  #13

Thanks everyone, for the input, and the patience.. ;-)a. I really appreciate it, as this will be my first tripod.

r_winter
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 24, 2011 14:59 |  #14

SkipD wrote in post #12084698 (external link)
As Jay alluded to, you want the absolute biggest heaviest and most rigid tripod you can carry if you want to make photographs in the wind. A lightweight carbon fiber tripod won't cut the mustard.

This definitely helps--Thank you!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,041 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 24, 2011 15:13 |  #15

Wind does these things to a tripod...

It blows against the camera and lens, and this causes lateral movement of the whole works...weight fixes this.
It blows across the legs and sets up vibrational resonance in the legs, and the dampening of the material affects that...wood is better at dampening than aluminum (not sure how carbon fiber and resin stacks up against wooD)
It pushes on a long lens and twists the camera atop the column or spider of the tripod...the legs have some contribution to this, but it is also the ability of the spider and the tripod head to resist the torsional twisting.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

5,372 views & 0 likes for this thread
Windy outdoor shooting...Is Carbon Fiber a must for a tripod?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.