Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Jan 2008 (Sunday) 11:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

post your lighting setup diagrams please...

petedam
728 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 13, 2010 11:33 |  #436

Thanks for the support everyone! :) I've learned something new this morning. (Hit the subscribe button next time because it might piss some people off)

Just my 2 Cents
Pete
A couple of bodies, a few lenses, a few lights, and a few modifiers.....Here to learn! :)

sponsored links
DerekW
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 13, 2010 11:40 |  #437

Nope, I'm having a good morning actually. You should see me when i'm in a bad mood.
Ans no, you only get one email notification till you come back to the site again.

T.D.
33,669 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 13, 2010 11:44 |  #438

Okay folks, time to get back on topic.

Thanks. :D

Take a picture, it lasts longer (external link)
(My Gallery) (external link)

QueenChatty
Goldmember
2,178 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 13, 2010 11:45 |  #439

DerekW wrote in post #11277329 (external link)
Nope, I'm having a good morning actually. You should see me when i'm in a bad mood.
Ans no, you only get one email notification till you come back to the site again.

Ok Derek enough your making us Canadians look bad! I might have to send one of my Torontoian friends to your house to knock on your door every hr then LOL!

5D MarkII | 50D Canon 17-40mm|55-250 | 60mm Macro | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105L IS | 580EXII | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | Ultra Zap 800 |StarFlash 300 X2 | AB 400X 2 Flickr  (external link)

QueenChatty
Goldmember
2,178 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 13, 2010 11:46 |  #440

T.D. wrote in post #11277346 (external link)

Sounds Good to me!

5D MarkII | 50D Canon 17-40mm|55-250 | 60mm Macro | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105L IS | 580EXII | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | Ultra Zap 800 |StarFlash 300 X2 | AB 400X 2 Flickr  (external link)

QueenChatty
Goldmember
2,178 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 13, 2010 11:56 |  #441

T.D. wrote in post #11277346 (external link)

Sorry I must have been posting at the same time as you.
So back on topic....I was looking at your website and holy crap your stuff just blows my mind! I am really into family portraits and was wondering if you could share your setup like the shoot that you did with the family that you took by the river/lake. What did you use for lighting or was it all just natural lighting? What camera and lens did you use as well please. "She silently hopes it was 40D and 24-105 like she owns" (well I have the 50D but close enough right?)

T.D.
33,669 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 13, 2010 11:59 |  #442

QueenChatty wrote in post #11277394 (external link)
Sorry I must have been posting at the same time as you.
So back on topic....I was looking at your website and holy crap your stuff just blows my mind! I am really into family portraits and was wondering if you could share your setup like the shoot that you did with the family that you took by the river/lake. What did you use for lighting or was it all just natural lighting?

Thanks! That was mostly natural light. I used fill flash (on camera with diffuser) on some.

Take a picture, it lasts longer (external link)
(My Gallery) (external link)

DerekW
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 13, 2010 12:18 |  #443

QueenChatty wrote in post #11277350 (external link)
Ok Derek enough your making us Canadians look bad! I might have to send one of my Torontoian friends to your house to knock on your door every hr then LOL!

Yeah, it was very un-Canadian of me. but there must be 50 "subscribed!" posts in this thread. I'll dial it back, cuz that's what we Canadians do :)

Lantz
992 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 13, 2010 17:58 |  #444

QueenChatty wrote in post #11277256 (external link)
So does everyone agree that we have shed enough light on this "No pun intended" Well maybe just a tad!

lol.....

MzLucy
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 25, 2010 00:54 as a reply to  @ Lantz's post |  #445

Hello all. I am new to the forum, been lurking a while, and reading a ton on lighting lately. Some really great information here that has been very helpful! I have some questions though, and could really use some help.

I am still in the learning stages. Up till this point, I have only been shooting natural light. My husband is in the process of remodeling our garage to create a great space for a me to have a part time studio, but it's no where being complete enough to use right now. I have a freebie family portrait coming up in a few days that I am doing for some very nice folks, as a favor. It was supposed to be done in summer, but the family just couldn't schedule it due to one of the daughters being in training as a marine, she was gone longer than they thought she would be. It's really cold here right now, and we will have snow on the ground by the time of their session, so I'm planning to utilize space in my basement for the session.

My only issue is that our ceilings are only 7' tall, and our walls are a really ugly peachy color, with the ceiling being the white drop down panels. The room is a long narrow room, and my only concern is the ceiling height because I'm not sure how tall dad is. Will I be able to get some good family shots down there? I was thinking that I'm going to have to have them sitting most of the time, unless I'm doing some close head shots.

I have slowly been acquiring equipment bit by bit, and I have pretty much everything I would need I think, and then some. A Sekonic L-358 meter, two AB400's, two AB800's, a large softbox with grid, barn doors with a couple different honeycomb grids, and I also have a SB-24, SB-600, a Photoflex 24x32 softbox with speedring for speedlights, a 22" beauty dish set up for speedlights, shoot through umbrellas (60", and 36") light stands, boom stand, and a cybersync transmitter with 2 receivers. As far as lens choice, I have a 24-70mm, 50mm 1.4, and a 70-200mm 2.8.

At this point, my head is just swimming with all the reading I have been doing. I've been practicing with a single AB800, and have learned how to use it, and how to meter the light with the sync cord. I've also been practicing with adding in background light, so I am becoming comfortable with adjusting the lighting. Friday and saturday I will be putting together a setup downstairs, to practice with multiple lights. My long term goal is to learn enough to become skilled in using the equipment I have, which will take time and lots of practice, and my short term goal is to learn enough to feel comfortable with a couple easy set ups to get this nice family some family photos.

I have been looking at many different lighting set ups, and I'm wondering if most of these set ups that show single models, would work for a family of 4, mom and dad, and two daughters in their 20's? Would there be a particular set up that would work best for the available space I have to work with?

I'm also wondering if anyone has a link to a site, or thread here on the forum that I can read, or would be willing to share information on how to set the individual strobes as far as power goes for each when set up?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer..........I'm sure I will have more questions as I go through this too. :D

Lucy :D

colormaniac
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 25, 2010 11:05 |  #446

Hi, Lucy, I'm no expert but I've tried something of those you mentioned, AB, Sekonic, etc. You seem to be very well prepared already. For the ugly walls, have you tried gelling your light or just washing it out in white?

Also, I think you may get more responses by starting a new thread in the forum. Have fun shooting!

Gear list | ModelMayhem (external link)
Hello, friends, I've been away from this site and photography for a few years. Too much drama in life. Now I'm catching up.

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 25, 2010 11:22 as a reply to  @ MzLucy's post |  #447

I'd like to hbep but thbis is not the place for these types of questions. Please post in a discussion thread.

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

MzLucy
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 25, 2010 13:30 as a reply to  @ TooManyHobbies's post |  #448

Sorry!!! :o Still trying to learn my way around here. Will copy and paste to the discussion forum. Please delete the post from this forum if possible.

Thank you for the responses!

Lucy :D

MeanGreeny
283 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 24, 2011 06:29 |  #449

Lots of useful stuff in here.

Hope people don't mind me giving the thread a bump and people a nudge to contribute

"Serious Bag": 5D / 14 f2.8 / 17-40 f4.0L / 50 f1.4 / 85 f1.8 / 70-200 f4L IS. "Grab Bag": 30D / 10-22 / 17-55 IS / 30 f1.4 / 70-300 DO IS. "Carryall": Pana GF-1 with 14mm f/2.5 & 20mm f1.7 / GRD2 28mm f2.4 Special Occasions: 400 5.6L, 60 & 150 Macro.
Simon Lupton Photography Website (external link) & ExclusivelyMono Print Sales (external link)

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 25, 2011 08:09 |  #450

OK, I found these setups on the web and just started using them myself. I haven't gotten around to editing yet, too buried with editing for makeup website, but I thought these were some of the best glassware setups I've seen. The pciture is so much better than a diagram would be in this case.

http://www.pixiq.com …simler-way-to-get-it-done (external link)

Look at the last one all the way down into the blog replys...
http://www.akelstudio.​com …raphy-shooting-glassware/ (external link)

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

sponsored links

274,903 views & 0 likes for this thread
post your lighting setup diagrams please...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.