Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 07:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Arca Swiss plate opinion?

Ross_Curtis
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 25, 2011 07:40 |  #1

I am looking for a plate for my markins head and I found this alternative.

It looks really good quality.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has one:

http://store.promediag​ear.com …dy-without-grip_p_40.html (external link)

Thanks.

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

sponsored links
peter_n
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 25, 2011 08:36 |  #2

I don't have this particular plate but I do have the ProMediaGear PX3 which is a 3" universal plate. It works well; good design and excellent construction. This plate doesn't have any rubber on the top surface, it has a pin (presumably of the spring-loaded detent type) that fits into a small socket on the base of the camera, an interesting design. All I can tell you is that I like my plate, it's good quality.

~Peter

Ross_Curtis
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 25, 2011 16:16 |  #3

I've been using a marlins 40d plate which although doesn't fit does the job. That too doesn't have a rubber surface and I've had no issues with it twisting.

I really like the idea of the pin - not sure if it is spring loaded or not, anyone know?

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

pxchoi
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 25, 2011 21:57 |  #4

I have Markins and Acratech plates. I think Markins camera plates will get the job done but I was disappointed that there were no groves for the stopping pin. I guess it's not a huge issue if you have the lever clamp as it locks in pretty tightly, but it would be nice to have the extra assurance.

I have the Acratech plate for my 70-200mm and I really like it. It's about $10 cheaper than some of the other brands and my local shop carries them. In addition, Acratech plates have groves in them, which will catch on the spring loaded stopping pin. I believe the Markins lens plates also have groves for the stopping pin but the camera plates do not.

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 25, 2011 22:14 |  #5

i have the markins q3t with the quick release and I'm using rrs plate... I guess whatever plate (brand) you get... just stick to that brand.... especially if you're using a lever release...

viktorsundberg
218 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 28, 2011 09:18 |  #6

I can recommend Kirk plates, they are really very good! There is one unique plate for every body/grip/lens plate, so you get the exact right fit and will experience no rotation what so ever.

You will have to check it they fit that head, but I'm pretty sure they do. They fit my Arca Swiss.

www.kirkphoto.com (external link)

5D mk III | TS-E 17 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 300 f/2.8L IS | 600 f/4L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | Gitzo tripods | RRS ballheads | Wimberley gimbal
Photographer and author from Sweden. Teacher at Canon and organizer of independent workshops. Visit my website: www.viktorsundberg.se (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 29, 2011 05:34 |  #7

viktorsundberg wrote in post #12108265 (external link)
I can recommend Kirk plates, they are really very good!

Yup, another fan of Kirk plates here. Not only are they excellent quality, and work with my RRS lever clamp, but they're fairly easy to get over here in Yoorp.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links

2,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Arca Swiss plate opinion?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.