Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 27 Sep 2010 (Monday) 14:05
Search threadPrev/next

The pinup dot - is it overdone

trentchau
Goldmember
1,065 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 20, 2011 12:56 |  #16

it can be cute or can be bad. Kinda like HDR.

Fast, I think Hihosteverino put it up.

Photographer and Photography instructor in Atlanta.
See some of my work at http://trentchau.500px​.com (external link)

Modakai
20 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 20, 2011 15:05 |  #17

FAST_Marine wrote in post #12056219 (external link)
There was a tutorial here in G&N on how to do this or a way one person did it. Can someone point me to it?

I believe this is the one you are looking for: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=985194

FAST_Marine
387 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 20, 2011 16:08 |  #18

Thanks thats it.

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)
My Web Site (external link)
A bunch of L Glass, Bunch of Canon SLR's, Canon Cinema Cameras, and a ton of stuff to use with them and carry it all.

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 21, 2011 12:53 |  #19

I finally gave in and did one!

I do like the multi dot one shown in the tutorial

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

Muggsly
153 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 21, 2011 15:51 |  #20

jro wrote in post #11030907 (external link)
what's "overdone" to us phtoographers who look at many images everyday may still be very fresh to your models, clients, etc. (except caution tape, that's overdone period :)]

I like the dot and the look of that era.

My thoughts exactly. Just because many of photographers spend hours perusing sites and seeing other photographers work doesn't mean it is like that for Joe/Jane Public.

I personally like the DOT and the one time I did it I got a ton of compliments so go figure.

Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography. - George Eastman
Gear List if you are a curious voyeur type take a look

hihosteverino
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 21, 2011 16:43 |  #21

The Dot! Yes, when I first started doing Pinup I used it in almost every image. But I haven't used it in a loooong time. I haven't stopped using it, but I really use it sparingly now. Depends on the image and what I'm going for. But to answer the question, yes, I believe it is overdone.

It also depends on what your client wants.

5D MkII and a 24-70L
Modelmayhem profile (external link)

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 21, 2011 17:11 |  #22

trentchau wrote in post #12056359 (external link)
it can be cute or can be bad. Kinda like HDR.

Absolutely! But I gotta' tell ya', I find all this selective desaturation and the woefully self-serving name "Cross Processing" for incompetent white balance and crapped color treatment to be consistently awful. The pin-up circle isn't even in the same universe as these total blunders! Because a couple of fashion magazines' idiot art directors decide to try something doesn't make even the least bit appealing.

But Trent hit the nail on the head. Some of those circles are truly awful but most are good to excellent and are simply integral to the genre. Note: I have never done any of the above techniques ... I'm simply not competent.

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

lost ­ canadian
48 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 25, 2011 20:34 |  #23

There's good dot and bad dot. What bugs me about it - Simply putting a dot behind the model doesn't make it a 'pin-up'

The Pin-up genre encompasses apparel, make-up, hair style, posing etc.

teaco
881 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 26, 2011 04:27 |  #24

when it's done sparingly, and done well, then it's good.

facebook (external link)
blog (external link)
website (external link)

7,830 views & 0 likes for this thread
The pinup dot - is it overdone
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.