Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 20 Mar 2011 (Sunday) 18:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tax free shopping spree can end soon.

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 25, 2011 21:16 |  #76

most local camera stores i have dealt with will match b and h, adorama , etc, but when it comes to sales tax they have to charge that.

i think yo would be surprised at how much revenue states are losing due to online sales.

just how much in us sales do you think amazon does per year? it's easily in the billions. take that times 6% or whatever and it adds up....

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,756 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 25, 2011 21:21 as a reply to  @ bigcountry's post |  #77

just how much in us sales do you think amazon does per year? it's easily in the billions. take that times 6% or whatever and it adds up....

That's what I just said above. That's not a statistic and it's not a fact. So I take that six percent I saved and what do I do with it? I still spend it. What is the real figure of "lost" state income? Nobody has figured it out--they just sprout "billions and billions" as though that was evidence on which to base new tax laws. What are the facts? I'm not asking for calculus, but at least give me the respect of going above elementary arithmetic.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 25, 2011 21:49 |  #78

i am looking for specific numbers, i can only find world wide numbers, and it's this:

Amazon.com Announces Second Quarter Sales up 41% to $6.57 Billion
SEATTLE - Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) today announced financial results for its second quarter ended June 30, 2010.

yes it's world wide number, but it's 6.57 BILLION for ONE QUARTER.

yes, people will spend their money elsewhere, but that is a moot point as sales tax is not collected on big ticket items.

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,157 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 25, 2011 23:56 |  #79

bigcountry wrote in post #12090846 (external link)
States are losing way to much money.

So why should a state that has done nothing to entice (tax breaks etc.) a company like Amazon into their state deserve a dime, just because they spend frivolously and can't operate within their means ???

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

RDKirk
13,756 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 26, 2011 00:11 |  #80

bigcountry wrote in post #12094156 (external link)
i am looking for specific numbers, i can only find world wide numbers, and it's this:

Amazon.com Announces Second Quarter Sales up 41% to $6.57 Billion
SEATTLE - Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) today announced financial results for its second quarter ended June 30, 2010.

yes it's world wide number, but it's 6.57 BILLION for ONE QUARTER.

yes, people will spend their money elsewhere, but that is a moot point as sales tax is not collected on big ticket items.

Amazon sales do not automatically equal losses to the states. Sorry, that's not real math. For instance, as I mentioned, that doesn't account for how many Amazon affiliates there might be in the state who stay in business and otherwise provide tax revenue for the state. As I also mentioned, it doesn't account for how much of the money saved on that purchase that people still spend in the state and pay taxes on...which is practically all of it, because Americans don't save worth a darn.

And, yes, it's a worldwide figure, so how much of that actually is American revenue? We're talking about writing tax law here, and taxes ultimately come out of the pockets of individuals. Yes, we deserve real facts, not gee-whiz, lookathat voo-doo.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,839 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 26, 2011 00:13 |  #81

I'm with you on that Jay, but that's just to easy for the lawmakers; 10% would be relative to everyone.

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12061040 (external link)
Two Words: Flat Tax

10% on anything you make or spend. Done.

No tax brackets, no loopholes, no exemptions, no muss, no fuss.

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

RDKirk
13,756 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 26, 2011 00:16 |  #82

Methodical wrote in post #12094820 (external link)
I'm with you on that Jay, but that's just to easy for the lawmakers; 10% would be relative to everyone.

The problem is, when you do the math, that doesn't amount to as much money as any lawmakers want. Most people don't make enough money for 10% to amount to much.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,839 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 26, 2011 00:31 |  #83

Sales tax would have to be more than your state income taxes paid to be deductible; can't deduct both. Also, with a deduction, you never break even (only get the tax benefit); only if it's a dollar for dollar credit.

eelnoraa wrote in post #12071252 (external link)
And all sales tax you paid, online or local, is a deduction for your federal tax return. Did you also report that? If so, you may well be breaking even. I assume you make a lot more taxable local purchase than online throughout the year.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 26, 2011 05:31 |  #84

Methodical wrote in post #12094820 (external link)

It's about to happen at the state level here in AZ...

It's projected to actually raise taxes by about $200/yr on those making less than $100K per year.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 26, 2011 07:19 |  #85

Again, you are not looking at the big picture. it's not just amazon, but it's MOST online companies. And most consumers have finally figured out that if they buy online then they have to pay ZERO sales tax. Yes it puts more money in the consumers pocket to spend elsewhere, but again there is no sales tax being collected for that particular state.

It has nothing to do with tax breaks, it's a sales tax to pay for roads, police, fire dept, schools, etc. and yes it adds up.

So what are the options?

A) flat tax
B) No sales tax, just higher taxes elsewhere to make up the difference
C) Online vendors will have to start collecting taxes, and it would be pretty easy to do.

Yes the government wastes a ton of money, and it's a shame, but again, a moot point.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,270 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 26, 2011 09:05 |  #86

bigcountry wrote in post #12095895 (external link)
So what are the options?

A) flat tax
B) No sales tax, just higher taxes elsewhere to make up the difference
C) Online vendors will have to start collecting taxes, and it would be pretty easy to do.

D. Online store charges sales tax per their location. This would be more fair. If B&H sells something, all pay the tax based on B&H home location. It should be no different than walking into the store and buying something.

My problem comes when my state wants me to pay a sales tax for something I bought elsewhere. For instance, I take a day trip to WI. While there I buy some tee-shirts for the kids back home. WI has a lower sales tax than IL so IL expects me to calculate the difference and pay IL the difference. This is stupid.

So IL is saying that they will make it easy. They are assuming that everyone buys something out of state so you can make it easy on yourself by multiplying your income by some amount and sending it in. If you send in zero, better be able to prove it.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

RDKirk
13,756 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 26, 2011 09:32 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #87

D. Online store charges sales tax per their location. This would be more fair. If B&H sells something, all pay the tax based on B&H home location. It should be no different than walking into the store and buying something.

This is the way the law in Illinois is already written. Maybe not enforced, but the way it's already written.

RDKirk
13,756 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 26, 2011 09:48 |  #88

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12095734 (external link)
It's about to happen at the state level here in AZ...

It's projected to actually raise taxes by about $200/yr on those making less than $100K per year.

Is that individuals or households?

If it's households: If Arizona reflects anything like the national average, 80% of Arizona residents are going to see their taxes increase and the wealthiest 20% will see their taxes lowered.

If it's individuals, 98% or Arizona residents are going to see their taxes increase and wealthiest 2% are going to see their taxes lowered.

Real smart voters in Arizona, voting for the rich guy's pocketbook. That's kind of like poor Southerners fighting to retain slavery so their own labor would remain worthless.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,839 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 26, 2011 10:43 |  #89

What the crazy tax code really does is keep those lawmakers employed.

RDKirk wrote in post #12094841 (external link)
The problem is, when you do the math, that doesn't amount to as much money as any lawmakers want. Most people don't make enough money for 10% to amount to much.

Gear
Flickr (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,839 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 26, 2011 10:45 |  #90

Can you elaborate?

RDKirk wrote in post #12096348 (external link)
Is that individuals or households?

If it's households: If Arizona reflects anything like the national average, 80% of Arizona residents are going to see their taxes increase and the wealthiest 20% will see their taxes lowered.

If it's individuals, 98% or Arizona residents are going to see their taxes increase and wealthiest 2% are going to see their taxes lowered.

Real smart voters in Arizona, voting for the rich guy's pocketbook. That's kind of like poor Southerners fighting to retain slavery so their own labor would remain worthless.

Gear
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,191 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tax free shopping spree can end soon.
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.