Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 20 Mar 2011 (Sunday) 18:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tax free shopping spree can end soon.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,743 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 26, 2011 13:51 |  #91

Methodical wrote in post #12096595 (external link)
Can you elaborate?

FlyingPhotog said:

It's about to happen at the state level here in AZ...

It's projected to actually raise taxes by about $200/yr on those making less than $100K per year.

In the US, 80% of households have a household income of less than 100K. So that's 80% of households that would see their AZ income taxes rise under that law. The wealthiest 20% are probably paying more than the flat tax rate, so their taxes will fall.

I guess that 80% think it's a fine idea...they're doing the voting.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 26, 2011 16:06 |  #92

We're not voting on it unfortunately. It's being ramrodded through our state legislature without a referendum.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

RDKirk
13,743 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 26, 2011 16:24 |  #93

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12098069 (external link)
We're not voting on it unfortunately. It's being ramrodded through our state legislature without a referendum.

Aw, shucks. It's bad when "the new kids" think they were elected with a mandate to change everything.

jkokbaker
554 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 26, 2011 16:30 |  #94

I have never had sales tax and this will not change anything for me, luckily I live in Oregon, no sale tax.

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 27, 2011 17:31 |  #95

RDKirk wrote in post #12094841 (external link)
The problem is, when you do the math, that doesn't amount to as much money as any lawmakers want. Most people don't make enough money for 10% to amount to much.

But the government doesn't get it's revenue solely from income tax. If you let the people keep more of their own money, they will spend it or invest it, and those transactions can be taxed which result in a revenue stream for the government. It's a proven fact that revenue increases when taxes are lowered.

And to your point about as much money as lawmakers want, that's too darn bad. I don't make as much as I want, so why should the government be able to take more of my money just because they want to?

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

RDKirk
13,743 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 27, 2011 18:43 |  #96

tgara wrote in post #12104379 (external link)
But the government doesn't get it's revenue solely from income tax. If you let the people keep more of their own money, they will spend it or invest it, and those transactions can be taxed which result in a revenue stream for the government. It's a proven fact that revenue increases when taxes are lowered.

So I take it you're not in favor of internet sales taxes.

Refresh ­ Image
THREAD ­ STARTER
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 27, 2011 20:19 |  #97
bannedPermanent ban

jkokbaker wrote in post #12098152 (external link)
I have never had sales tax and this will not change anything for me, luckily I live in Oregon, no sale tax.

Should I move to Oregon ?

jkokbaker
554 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 27, 2011 21:54 |  #98

Yeah, it's pretty nice here, and no sales tax.

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 27, 2011 23:05 |  #99

bend is an amazing place.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 28, 2011 03:18 |  #100

jkokbaker wrote in post #12105826 (external link)
Yeah, it's pretty nice here, and no sales tax.

How are your state income taxes and property taxes?

There's no Free Lunch!

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

RDKirk
13,743 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 28, 2011 06:40 |  #101

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12107186 (external link)
How are your state income taxes and property taxes?

There's no Free Lunch!

Or they may have another major source of state income, like Alaska's oil. There is no free lunch, but they may be getting someone else to pay for theirs.

jkokbaker
554 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 28, 2011 08:16 |  #102

I know it all evens out somewhere, the Government will get theirs, our income tax is really high.

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 28, 2011 11:27 |  #103

RDKirk wrote in post #12104678 (external link)
So I take it you're not in favor of internet sales taxes.

No. We're taxed enough already in my view. If the state needs more revenue, it can collect it from current transactions or cut other spending.

If it's households: If Arizona reflects anything like the national average, 80% of Arizona residents are going to see their taxes increase and the wealthiest 20% will see their taxes lowered.

If it's individuals, 98% or Arizona residents are going to see their taxes increase and wealthiest 2% are going to see their taxes lowered.

I would point out that the wealthiest 25% of taxpayers pay 86% of all federal taxes. Yet, many citizens pay no income taxes. My position on the AZ proposal is that it leveling the playing field somewhat. Putting the burden on the top earners just because someone else thinks they can afford it isn't smart policy. That approach causes causes people and wealth to flee the state (as it has in Maryland) resulting in reduced state revenues. In addition, relying on top earners for a big chunk of state revenue causes state budget feasts and famines when the economy turns down, as it has in my state of Connecticut. A more level tax scheme with all citizens paying something is a better way to run things, and more fair, in my view.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

RDKirk
13,743 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 28, 2011 11:43 as a reply to  @ tgara's post |  #104

My position on the AZ proposal is that it leveling the playing field somewhat. Putting the burden on the top earners just because someone else thinks they can afford it isn't smart policy.

Well, certainly, they can afford to pay more. It's silly to argue that someone who makes several orders of magnitude more than the modal income can't afford to pay any larger percentage of his income.

A more level tax scheme with all citizens paying something is a better way to run things, and more fair, in my view.

The debate of "fair" is, of course, the crux of the matter. Ultimately, it's not going to be "fair" that matters, but what actually works in the real world of politics and economics.

That approach causes causes people and wealth to flee the state (as it has in Maryland) resulting in reduced state revenues.

These are the states with flat tax rates:

Before 2006, six states maintained flat-rate income taxes: Colorado (4.63 percent), Illinois (3.0 percent), Indiana (3.4 percent), Massachusetts (5.3 percent), Michigan (3.07 percent), and Pennsylvania (3.07 percent). Last year, Rhode Island and Utah adopted optional flat taxes of 5.5 and 5.35 percent, respectively.

http://www.hoover.org …oover-digest/article/5980 (external link)

None of those states is showing an influx of wealthy people, so where are they fleeing to? Moreover, all those states are either in the toilet economically or have an alternate means of support.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 28, 2011 14:20 |  #105

RDkirk, Utah is actually one of the strongest states right now, financially. Recently topped Forbes lists for "Best places for business and careers", too. Colorado is also in the top 5 as well, so I am not sure where you are getting your "in the toilet" stats.

tgara wrote in post #12109139 (external link)
. In addition, relying on top earners for a big chunk of state revenue causes state budget feasts and famines when the economy turns down, as it has in my state of Connecticut. A more level tax scheme with all citizens paying something is a better way to run things, and more fair, in my view.

Any percentage based tax will go down equally when incomes go down across the board. I don't see how taxing 5% of an unemployment check or fast food salary is going to solve the budget crisis. The problem with a flat tax is that the 5% comes off of necessities like food for the poor, and it doesn't for the wealthy. No it is not "fair" to have a progressive tax, but it isn't fair that a large chunk of the population can barely make ends meet.

Not really camera related, though. ;)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

sponsored links

7,146 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tax free shopping spree can end soon.
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.