Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Mar 2011 (Monday) 08:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom3 performance in MacBook Pro vs Pc

myjunk
269 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 28, 2011 08:13 |  #1

Not a PC vs Mac debate, but would just want to know if there impression that I have that Mac is faster is true or not.

I now have an i7-920 2.66g w/ 6Gb ram PC. Catalog is in it's own 2xRAID0 HDD array. (backup after each session for kiasu/kiasi safety)
Am getting agitated with the local brush adjustment and the 2sec lag time between pic1 to pic2 switching.

I'm wondering if a MacBook pro (15in 2ghz) would be better?

Am looking for actual account of personal experience in this area. No need for "feel" or conjecture.

Am shooting raw and on a canon 7d.

Many thanks..

sponsored links
iwannabe
250 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 28, 2011 09:03 |  #2

Bump. I would like to know this as well since I'm on the fence between the two (PC being similar).

Cameras: Canon 5D Mark III, 7D Mark II, Flashes: Canon 420EX, 580EX1
Lens: Canon 50 1.8II, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 17-55 2.8, Canon 24-70 F4.0,Sigma 30 1.4, Canon 70-200 F4/L IS, Tokina 11-16 2.8II, Tamron 70-200 2.8

Road_Rebel
463 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 28, 2011 12:46 |  #3

according to the apple rep who comes into my work, u need half the spec of a pc on a mac and it will run programs of the same power...

In my experience and teaching a mac will always have the upper hand due to it being a closed system, An OS designed to run on particular hardware and an OS that doesnt clutter its registry when installing programs...

for editing media, an apple machine will always be better and last longer

Favourite loadout currently: Canon 7D mkI + 50mm f/1.4
Next desired loadout: Canon 5D mkII + 85mm f/1.2
Side Arm: 17-55mm f/2.8
What can you capture with the click of a button?

myjunk
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 28, 2011 17:24 |  #4

Hi road rebel, is that an actual testament or just something. That you feel is true? I would prefer to hear it from someone that actually have first h and experience comparing apples to PC (at near identical specs, at least i7 to i7)

Am plonking real money down this path and would like to know have some real data beforehand.

Much appreciated..

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 28, 2011 19:52 |  #5

where are your cache files? are they on the raid 0 disk ? that matters more than the catalog

with those specs the machine should not be that slow, you have a decent video card and the latest video drivers?

there is no reason you should have to buy another machine based on the info you provided

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

Moppie
15,045 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 29, 2011 04:54 |  #6

myjunk

There is no way going to a machine with less than half the processing capacity is going to improve your workflows process times.
Your either working with extraordinarily large files, you have a hardware fault, or there is something wrong with a configuration setting etc.

Road_Rebel wrote in post #12109620 (external link)
according to the apple rep who comes into my work, u need half the spec of a pc on a mac and it will run programs of the same power...

In my experience and teaching a mac will always have the upper hand due to it being a closed system, An OS designed to run on particular hardware and an OS that doesnt clutter its registry when installing programs...

for editing media, an apple machine will always be better and last longer

total pile of waffling sales and marketing BS that has been dis-proven countless times.

The web is filled with tests showing Macs and Hackintoshes running Windows 7 and OS-X on the same hardware, getting identical, or close enough to results running the whole suit of Adobe Software.

Where one has proven to be faster, it has been the Windows set up, as several Adobe products make better utilization of multiple cores and more than 4GB of ram under Windows than they do under OS-X. Although most of these problems were resolved with CS5 and LR3.

Any further posts of conjecture, fantasy and hearsay will be deleted. :cool:

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 29, 2011 09:56 |  #7

Contrary to some some statements in this thread... Mac's wont run Adobe software noticeably faster than Windows. In fact if you had to say which one had the edge, Windows supposedly runs adobe software slightly more efficiently.

So for equal spec'ed computers, you'll get the same performance.
Getting a lower clocked Macbook with a slower hardrive will give you unsurprising results, slightly slower performance than a more powerful computer :p

If you're having speed issues in LR, get rid of some catalogues or have less photos imported at once. Make sure you've dedicated enough memory for your cache

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 29, 2011 15:21 |  #8

agreed on this mac needs 1/2 the computer thats BS, some things are faster on PC some on MAC, either way the difference is not much

in the old days when they used non intel processors yeah you may have only needed 1/2 the MHZ vs a PC but it was a total different processor, that is not the case anymore for sure

Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

myjunk
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 30, 2011 03:31 |  #9

Camera raw cache is 50gb of the raid0 disk.

I've even tried moving the catalog into a 10k rpm raptor drive. No cigar(actualy, this 1st gen raptor, hdtune saw the numbers being worst compared to a 7200rpm drive)

All imports are into a new catalog. Average size of each catalog (each import) is like 2.5k raw photos of 18mp each ~25mb file.

Video card is an ATI radeon w/ 1gb ram. ATI 4850 or something like that. Cant remember the numbers.

Actually, the lag is bearable, but if I can do something about it, I would. Actually, have regretted a little bit in getting the off-the-shelf acer m7710 PC. Now I cant even do any simple over clocking. A modest increase in CPU speeed should help plenty I presume. As I see the CPU spiking every time adjustments are done.

Am Hoping that a Mac would make things better, but I take it that the collective agreement that it does not make a difference? Is this presumption correct?

Moppie
15,045 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 30, 2011 04:22 |  #10

Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and watch the Performance Tab next time you do some image editing. It will identify your bottle neck pretty quickly.

myjunk wrote in post #12122570 (external link)
Am Hoping that a Mac would make things better, but I take it that the collective agreement that it does not make a difference? Is this presumption correct?

It's not presumption, it's proven fact and basic logic.
Intel and AMD (along with nVidia, Seagate etc etc) supply the same hardware to Apple as they do to the rest of the PC market.
The differences from 10 years ago are not relevant, and haven't been for half a decade.
Because the now run identical hardware, it is possible to run OS-X and Windows 7 on the same system.
This has allowed numerous people to benchmark both operating systems which has shown that neither offers any advantage over the other in terms of performance.

Your suggestion of a Macbook would be considerably slower. Being a laptop it compromises performance for portability (although is one of the more powerful laptops available).
You would need to look at a Mac Pro to match your current level of performance.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

myjunk
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 30, 2011 08:27 |  #11

Moppie: the CPU spikes...

Btw, perhaps it's just me, but is 2 secs lag too little to complain about?

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 30, 2011 08:32 |  #12

there should be no lag, I have an i7 930 and I have no lag whatsoever in lightroom

Canon 500L, 100-400L
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 30, 2011 09:28 |  #13

Have you updated your video drivers recently?

Gear List

myjunk
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 30, 2011 09:56 |  #14

Not recently. I'll upgrade it or reinstall it tomorrow then. Jus for. The fun of it eh..

No lag whatsoever? 25mb 7d raws? Wow... Something must be happening on mine then. Gotta test and fish it out.

myjunk
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 30, 2011 09:59 |  #15

Asked the same question here --> http://photomalaysia.c​om …s/showthread.ph​p?t=158334 (external link) <-- petery seems to have a very slick setup. Almost too good to be true???

sponsored links

4,049 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom3 performance in MacBook Pro vs Pc
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.