Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Mar 2011 (Friday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How have Canon's Warranty Service treated you?"
Repair even for free even out of warranty.
38%
Honored warranty.
54%
Made up excuses and not honor warranty.
8%

150 voters, 150 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BEWARE! Canon Service Center accused me of mishandled and won't honor warranty.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 22, 2011 16:24 |  #76

i didn't read all 5 pages of this thread but did you purchase with a credit card and did you try to contact them? Most credit cards will enhance the manufacturers warranty and may even help you handle this.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

sponsored links
yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 22, 2011 19:47 |  #77

I think I understand what you are saying, I am just having a hard time figuring out exactly where Canada is, reading your post

I am fully aware of that - that's why I couldn't understand your post.

Don't worry Roy,, he's just having a lend of you..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 22, 2011 20:30 |  #78

I hate to hear stories like this! IMHO Canon believes the camera was mis-handled, and is offering to fix the screen for the price of the parts. If it were me, I wouldn't be happy about it, but would do it unless I could afford to just replace the unit completely. Over the years I've learned 1 year manu warrantees are a bit thin, and to file a claim and have it come in your favor can be rare. Also, I've sit in the employee chair, and have delt with irate customers, and I have to tell you, when customers get irate, I never went out of my way for them. I'm sure this wasn't the case here, but am just throwing that out there for an example of why someone wouldn't be helped.

Cheers,

David

_
My Gear is ---> Here

clhay1
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 22, 2011 20:50 |  #79

Customers are often getting the run around with this warranty related stuff.

Shooting the Canon 7D with an assortment of lenses......LOVING it!!

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
40,742 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 23, 2011 04:54 |  #80

yogestee wrote in post #12072729 (external link)
Don't worry Roy,, he's just having a lend of you..

:confused::confused:

JBF
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 23, 2011 09:17 |  #81

If it is in perfect condition and shows no sign of droppage. (new word) I don't see how they and refuse to repair it. Did you send a copy of your sales receipt proving it is still under warranty? If you can prove that and they refused to fix, then you have a valid case. Go higher up! Call back and ask for a supervisor, if you don't get what you want from him, ask for another supervisor thats higher than him, and keep going.

JBF
Canon 7D, Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 24-105L f/4, Canon 35L 1.4, Canon 200L f/2.8, Canon 70-200L II IS f/2.8, Canon 300L f/2.8IS, 580ex Flash, 430ex Flash, 1.4X Converter. Bunch of other crap! I want the new 500mmL and the 200L f/2.0

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 28, 2011 23:02 |  #82
bannedPermanent ban

So the conclusion is I paid for the $250 repairs....somewhere in the Canon's limited warranty fine prints it stated that the warranty does not cover the LCD no matter what....freaking lame.

k9trainer
384 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 28, 2011 23:38 |  #83

craigslistpost604 wrote in post #12113667 (external link)
So the conclusion is I paid for the $250 repairs....somewhere in the Canon's limited warranty fine prints it stated that the warranty does not cover the LCD no matter what....freaking lame.

Whats freaking lame is you dident quote the fine print.

Canon 5D Mark IV & BG-E20
17-40L & 70-200 IS2.8 Mark II L
Canon1.4x ll & 2X II Extender
Canon 15mm Fisheye
Previously owned Canon 5DI, 5DII, BG-E6, Canon 70-2002.8IS L, 24-105IS L, Flash 580EX II

marcus ­ riley
373 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 29, 2011 00:06 |  #84

They did this once to me, even though I've have very good experiences with them overall.

I had some lenses under warranty and the manager in Irvine told me that, "the engineer adjusted the lens as far as it can be adjusted and there is nothing else that can be done. You might want to consider buying a better lens next time to avoid this issue."

I argued that it's under warranty and if it isn't working they need to do whatever is needed to get me a working lens. The manager just gave me the contact info for a higher-up Customer Service Exec at the NY headquarters. I contacted her and she immediately paid to have all my gear sent to the NY headquarters. She adjusted my camera and replaced all my lenses.

I suggest that your issue may not be with 'Canon' or 'Canon Customer Service/Repair', but actually with just the one employee you're dealing with. Even the manager I spoke with was obviously wrong and was not actually representing Canon's policy (my lenses were in warranty but he said there was nothing else they could do), even though he acted like he was.

1Ds3--T2i--24-105L--24LTSEv1--24L--Sigma 50/1.4--50/1.8--85Lv2--70-200f4LIS--Sigma 150-500

robbug
212 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 29, 2011 00:17 as a reply to  @ marcus riley's post |  #85

^^ What he said. Each person who you contact will be different. Here is a link to my experience with Canon's support department:

Canon repair experience

Hope this helps to some degree.

Rob

Refractive Photos (external link)
Stuff that gets me the exposure
When asked if there were too many people taking pictures today, Elliot Erwitt replied, "All you need is a pencil and a piece of paper to write a novel, don't you?"

pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 29, 2011 04:02 |  #86

Where are you based? Didn't have a chance to read all the posts but here in the UK big companies try and pull the wool over consumers eyes by saying the goods come with 12 month warranty. Most people don't realise by law all electrical items sold in the UK have a 24 month warranty by law under the Sales of Goods Act. Canons small print saying what is and what isn't covered does not override the law.

Mark
Gear List

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 29, 2011 05:25 |  #87

craigslistpost604 wrote in post #12113667 (external link)

that bites

impact_blu
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 29, 2011 05:37 |  #88

My t2i had a similar issue, the lcd screen would not show any images and you can't take any pictures on live view mode but you can still take pictures through the other mode. I sent it for repair and this is what they found.

"Your product has been examined and it was found that the circuit board was not properly connected causing the LCD to not display an image. Adjustments were carried out on the circuit board and product functions were confirmed."

They did honor my warranty and sent my camera back the same day they worked on it.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 29, 2011 05:45 |  #89

impact_blu wrote in post #12114962 (external link)
My t2i had a similar issue, the lcd screen would not show any images and you can't take any pictures on live view mode but you can still take pictures through the other mode. I sent it for repair and this is what they found.

"Your product has been examined and it was found that the circuit board was not properly connected causing the LCD to not display an image. Adjustments were carried out on the circuit board and product functions were confirmed."

They did honor my warranty and sent my camera back the same day they worked on it.

so they will honor some LCD problems with the warranty. what Canon service center did you use?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,674 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 29, 2011 06:12 |  #90

Here is their explicit warranty term related to the LCD...

(a) Loss of or damage to the Product due to abuse, mishandling, improper packaging by you, alteration, accident, electrical current fluctuations, failure to follow operating, maintenance or environmental instructions prescribed in Canon U.S.A.'s or Canon Canada's user's manual or services performed by someone other than Canon U.S.A. or Canon Canada, or a Canon authorized service provider for the Product. Without limiting the foregoing, water damage, sand/corrosion damage, battery leakage, dropping the Product, scratches, abrasions or damage to the body, lenses or LCD display or damage to the any of the accessories mentioned in the first paragraph above will be presumed to have resulted from misuse, abuse or failure to operate the Product as set forth in the operating instructions

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

19,020 views & 0 likes for this thread
BEWARE! Canon Service Center accused me of mishandled and won't honor warranty.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.