Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Mar 2011 (Monday) 14:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50D vs. 7D, am I stupid for going with the 50D?

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,132 posts
Gallery: 255 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 29, 2011 01:05 |  #16

50D is a great camera and you can keep it when you go to full frame as a backup. It handles sports and wildlife perfectly fine. good glass is more important anyway

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

sponsored links
osprey23
44 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 29, 2011 01:39 |  #17

No you are not stupid. You are wise, you know what you needed and pay for what you needed.

With the "unspent" money you could get much better lenses. It is pointless pouring in all the money to get the 7D but end with kit lens. You will be happier with 50D and better lenses.

If we are all rich and no problem with money, then yup, get the 7D and also a few L lenses to go.

My Gear List

westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 29, 2011 02:59 as a reply to  @ osprey23's post |  #18

Just out of curiosity...why not 60D?

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

YouTellMe
176 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 29, 2011 03:08 |  #19

Take out the video capability and the new AF system from the 7D and your left with pretty much a 50D anyways. since you will be getting a 5D (assuming cuz you said FF), its better off you save some money and get the 50D now so you can get the 5D sooner!

Gear List / Feedback
Kenko Extension Tubes for Dummies

HansSteinert
419 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 29, 2011 04:49 |  #20

as long as you shoot under 800 iso, I doubt you would notice a difference in image quality.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 29, 2011 05:22 |  #21

Sauer Grapes wrote in post #12110484 (external link)
Getting ready to place an order through CLP. I'm upgrading from my 20D.

I'm not concerned with video at this point, and I have no plans to do sports or bird photography. The better AF does appeal to me, but I don't think I need it.

Anyway, the main reason for upgrading my 20D is that I'm not completely happy with the IQ, especially in low light situations. Also, more than 8 MP would be nice at this point.

Eventually I want to go full frame, but I'm not ready to drop that kind of money yet. I think the 50D through the CLP is my best choice, but are there other reasons besides video and the AF to consider the 7D more seriously, even though it'll be more than double the $$$?

Thanks!

If your main reason for upgrading is the ISO performance of the 20D then newer models like the 60D, 7D, etc. will be better. In fact, using one comparison site, your old 20D has better ISO "low light" performance than the 50D !
see http://www.dxomark.com (external link)
or you can use the "comparometer" with different ISO levels among different DSLR cameras here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CO​MPS01.HTM (external link)

Sauer ­ Grapes
THREAD ­ STARTER
516 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 29, 2011 05:33 |  #22

watt100 wrote in post #12114933 (external link)
If your main reason for upgrading is the ISO performance of the 20D then newer models like the 60D, 7D, etc. will be better. In fact, using one comparison site, your old 20D has better ISO "low light" performance than the 50D !
see http://www.dxomark.com (external link)
or you can use the "comparometer" with different ISO levels among different DSLR cameras here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CO​MPS01.HTM (external link)

Interesting...

MA is another reason, but I guess I expected a larger improvement from the 20D to the 50D. I'm sure to my untrained eye, the 50D will still seem like a huge improvement though.

Gear List: 5D MKII, 24-105mm F4L, 135mm F2L, 430 EXII

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 29, 2011 05:43 |  #23

Sauer Grapes wrote in post #12114950 (external link)
Interesting...

MA is another reason, but I guess I expected a larger improvement from the 20D to the 50D. I'm sure to my untrained eye, the 50D will still seem like a huge improvement though.

maybe, but if your eye becomes trained then that full frame model will look nicer and nicer ......

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,434 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 29, 2011 05:58 |  #24

YouTellMe wrote in post #12114594 (external link)
Take out the video capability and the new AF system from the 7D and your left with pretty much a 50D anyways. since you will be getting a 5D (assuming cuz you said FF), its better off you save some money and get the 50D now so you can get the 5D sooner!

Well, quite honesty add the following to that list (from somebody that had multiple 50Ds and a 7D):

1) take away the 100% viewfinder
2) take away the better high ISO handling
3) take away the wireless flash capability
4) take away the newer more accurate metering
5) take away 3mpx in resolution
6) take away the customization of buttons, the electronic level and orientation linked AF, plus other little features
7) take away 10 AF points
8) take away the much longer battery life
9) take away C3

But in any case, just get the 50D and see if you like it, chances are you can flip it if not for about zero expense. There is no downside, just an upside really with a 50D purchase.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 29, 2011 06:47 |  #25

westernminnguy wrote in post #12114560 (external link)

For me, I came from a Xsi, and when the 60D came out, I went cash in hand to the store and buy it, and I was bummed out, the flippy screen felt toyish, the build feel to me felt like a large rebel. I went back several times trying to talk myself into it, and just could not. I kept saying it has the 7D processor, metering system, etc...I just figured I would have to save more fun money and buy the 7D, but then at a game a guy had a 50D, and I loved it.
I went home, CLP had the 50D on sale for $560 with a broken P&S camera, so I bought it. Every time I pick it up I get excited, I know the 60D had better ISO performance, metering system, but for me I felt like I was buying a rebel, and could not get over that feeling.
Bottomline is both are fine cameras, and people have to go use, touch and feel them, and decide.

Sauer ­ Grapes
THREAD ­ STARTER
516 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 29, 2011 06:56 |  #26

westernminnguy wrote in post #12114560 (external link)

mark2009 wrote in post #12115117 (external link)
For me, I came from a Xsi, and when the 60D came out, I went cash in hand to the store and buy it, and I was bummed out, the flippy screen felt toyish, the build feel to me felt like a large rebel. I went back several times trying to talk myself into it, and just could not. I kept saying it has the 7D processor, metering system, etc...I just figured I would have to save more fun money and buy the 7D, but then at a game a guy had a 50D, and I loved it.
I went home, CLP had the 50D on sale for $560 with a broken P&S camera, so I bought it. Every time I pick it up I get excited, I know the 60D had better ISO performance, metering system, but for me I felt like I was buying a rebel, and could not get over that feeling.
Bottomline is both are fine cameras, and people have to go use, touch and feel them, and decide.

For me, not the 60D because:
1) I don't care about having video on my SLR at this time.
2) I don't like the fact it has a plastic body.
3) I want MA.
4) While I could probably afford to buy the 60D, I love the fact the 50D is so much cheaper through the CLP (I plan on buying the one with the kit lens and selling the lens for somewhere between $200-$300).

Gear List: 5D MKII, 24-105mm F4L, 135mm F2L, 430 EXII

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,161 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined May 2008

Mar 29, 2011 08:17 |  #27

Sauer Grapes wrote in post #12110484 (external link)
Anyway, the main reason for upgrading my 20D is that I'm not completely happy with the IQ, especially in low light situations. Also, more than 8 MP would be nice at this point.

While the 50D is not a bad choice, the 7D will give you better high ISO performance than the 50D for the low light situations you mentioned.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

robtaylor22
425 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 29, 2011 09:18 |  #28

You mentioned you were looking for better IQ. The T2i, T3i, 60D and 7D will give you better IQ than a 50D. While magnesium alloy (heavy) and MA (seldom actually needed) are nice why would you give up IQ and go back to a 50D when better choices are available for just a little more? IQ is the reason I didn't stick with a 50D and got rid of it quickly.

I think you've been reading too many posts on this board and buying into the MA and Magnesium crowd. If you want IQ, you are not making your best choice.

borism
Goldmember
3,415 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 29, 2011 09:23 |  #29

As I mention before, the 50D is a great camera and will serve you well, and yes is a smart move for a budgeted buyer, but if you are anything like me, I would feel not great if I know I could have gotten the 7D knowing is a better camera particularly if I can afford it without affecting the food I put on my table.

The latest like 7D, 5DII, even the 60D and the T3i is a considerable jump on IQ and High ISO performance from the 50D and older series.
The 7D is almost there with the 5Dc on High Iso, and that is pretty good IMO plus you have extended ISOs that you dont get on the 5Dc.
I used a T3 a few days ago and was pretty impressed with the high ISO , very clean very nice images, far from my original XSI.

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 29, 2011 09:23 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

Sauer Grapes wrote in post #12115146 (external link)
For me, not the 60D because:
1) I don't care about having video on my SLR at this time.
2) I don't like the fact it has a plastic body.
3) I want MA.
4) While I could probably afford to buy the 60D, I love the fact the 50D is so much cheaper through the CLP (I plan on buying the one with the kit lens and selling the lens for somewhere between $200-$300).

The facts
Canon 1d Mark III, IV, and 1Ds Mark III magnesium alloy construction with engineering plastic.
Canon 5d mkII Magnesium alloys and engineering plastic.
Canon 5d Magnesium alloys and part engineering plastic
Canon 7D Magnesium alloys and part engineering plastic
Canon 20d Magnesium Alloy and Plastic,
Canon 60D has Aluminum chassis, with Fiberglass-reinforced polycarbonate resin with engineering plastic.*
Canon T2i/550d stainless steel chassis with engineering plastic'
Canon 450d stainless steel chassis with 'engineering plastic' and the body made of a special lightweight polycarbonate resin with glass fiber.
Canon 50d stainless steel frame covered with a magnesium alloy body with engineering plastic.

New 600d Stainless Steel and polycarbonate resin with engineering plastic and 600D hasn't any weather sealing in its body construction*.

That's allot of (PLASTIC) don't you think soooooooo???:D

Gear List

sponsored links

4,599 views & 0 likes for this thread
50D vs. 7D, am I stupid for going with the 50D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.