Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Mar 2011 (Monday) 19:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why isn't there a lens index list for FD lenses?

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 28, 2011 19:05 |  #1

I think there should be. I'd love to see what people are shooting with FD lenses.

They go so cheap on Ebay. Ten bucks.

What's the catch?

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links
egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 28, 2011 19:22 |  #2

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #12112221 (external link)
I think there should be. I'd love to see what people are shooting with FD lenses.

What's the catch?

PITA to adapt to EOS bodies ;)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 28, 2011 19:23 |  #3

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #12112221 (external link)

What's the catch?

Maybe the "catch" is they are worth...... Ten Bucks!

I've heard FD lens don't work so well with DSLR's.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 28, 2011 19:26 |  #4

The problem is that the FD mount is closer to the film plane than the EOS EF mount is. Thus, when you adapt an FD lens to the EF mount with an adapter, the FD lens is too far from the film/sensor and thus cannot focus anywhere near "infinity".

In order to make the FD lens work properly on an EF mount, you need a very expensive optical adapter which has the side effect of increasing the focal length (the very same way as adding an extender to a lens).

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,455 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 28, 2011 19:31 |  #5

It's much, much easier (and better) to adopt a wide variety of non-Canon older MF lenses to the EOS system than it is to use FD glass.

The reason FD lenses are so cheap on e-bay is because they are not very useful on any digital bodies. People use all kinds of other stuff in F-mount and M42 mount preferentially.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 28, 2011 19:36 |  #6

JeffreyG wrote in post #12112395 (external link)
People use all kinds of other stuff in F-mount and M42 mount preferentially.

Yup. I still have my four Nikkor lenses that I bought in 1966 and 1967 for my Nikon F cameras (which I also still have). I've used them on my 20D with relative ease, using a simple mount adapter, and gotten very good results from them.

Skip Douglas

MikeFairbanks
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 28, 2011 22:00 |  #7

Good answers. Thanks

Thank you. bw!

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 29, 2011 06:28 |  #8

JeffreyG wrote in post #12112395 (external link)
It's much, much easier (and better) to adopt a wide variety of non-Canon older MF lenses to the EOS system than it is to use FD glass.

The reason FD lenses are so cheap on e-bay is because they are not very useful on any digital bodies. People use all kinds of other stuff in F-mount and M42 mount preferentially.

That makes them a bargain for us micro 4/3 users :) Prices seem have gone up as a result, though...

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

phreeky
Goldmember
3,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 29, 2011 07:30 |  #9

Yeah I was just thinking about all those new mirrorless cameras. Should be fine on those.

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 29, 2011 08:35 |  #10

They are fine for EOS DSLR cameras like the 5D and others - after mount conversion.
This is a hard task, but there are commercial conversion workshops around, and one could convert the lens with guts and knowledge. Without the last one will only get a damaged lens.

I DIY converted the 20/2.8 (not full), 50/1.4 and 50/1,8 as a tilt lens for crop EOS cameras, 85/1.2L, 100/4 macro, 300/2.8L, 400/2.8L. 500/4.5L.
There are some others around who do the same as a part of the hobby.

My conversions are partly documented on my website, take a look there.
Other conversions here:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=346127
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=990878

Pictures made with FD lenses and EOS cameras?

FD 400/2.8L

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Hamburg/slides/Hafen-Kraene.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Natur/slides/Wildgaense-Tumult.jpg

FD 85mm/1.2L
IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Natur/slides/Canon_FD_85_1.2L.jpg

FD 20/2.8
IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Sonstiges/slides/Marienkaefer.jpg

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 29, 2011 10:17 |  #11

ZoneV wrote in post #12115561 (external link)
They are fine for EOS DSLR cameras like the 5D and others - after mount conversion.

Do I correctly assume that "mount conversion" means removing the original mount and replacing it with something compatible with the EOS mount specification? That's the only way I can envision getting the FD lens to be at the proper distance from the film/sensor plane.

Skip Douglas

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 29, 2011 12:10 |  #12

The problem with adapting FD lenses is not the machine work involved in changing the mount, but inventing some kind of linkage so you can change apertures. FL lenses are much easier to do. Ironic that of all the older lenses you can use on a modern Canon DLSR, Canon FD is not one of them. And..... $10 each is not really a fair average selling price on eBay. I have seen some FD lenses going for over $1K. $100-$200 might be a better estimate.

GEAR LIST

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 30, 2011 09:57 |  #13

SkipD wrote in post #12116196 (external link)
Do I correctly assume that "mount conversion" means removing the original mount and replacing it with something compatible with the EOS mount specification? ...

Yes, that is the easy part of it for the longer FD lenses.
For the shorter ones this can be tricky, to get infinity.
But as gasrocks mentioned, the iris coupling between the outer iris ring and the iris itself is more challenging - especial for the longer lenses. And sometimes one need parts to hold the iris - but that depends on the individual way of conversion.

Here one can see some of the parts I made for FD-EF conversion (more on homepage). You could make most parts with a saw, a dremel tool, and files. But the better you want your conversion, the higher the demand for proper tools is - I use a mini lathe and an small mill with some extensions.

I ones saw 6 Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 L on ebay, with defective mount parts, some parts missing, backlens missing eg - I suppose these are all the victims of a not very talented lens conversion!

For the prices - very rough estimated: The longer fast lenses cost sometimes more than 1.000 USD, FD 85/1.2L ~ 600 USD, 24/1.4L ~ 500 USD.
The 50mm f/1.8 and 28mm f/2.8 could be found for 10 USD.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

sponsored links

1,850 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why isn't there a lens index list for FD lenses?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.