Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Mar 2011 (Monday) 12:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

problem after sensor cleaning

tolyD
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 28, 2011 12:23 |  #1

when i was cleaning my mirror by blowing the dust off with the hand pump blower, i've experienced shutter problem right afer. the first 2 shots i took on my 5d2, on the display i have noticed dark bar all the way on the side, looks like shutter curtain. after changing the shutter speed it went away and it has been good since. i got a little scarred. maybe next time i should send it in to canon for cleaning. is this bad?? the camera has about 5k clicks. i still have one little tiny spot showing up in my pictures that i can't remove.

5D MkII | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 2x 580ex II |

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

sponsored links
banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 28, 2011 17:22 |  #2

if it's still under warranty i'd get it looked at

Flickr (external link)

tolyD
THREAD ­ STARTER
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 28, 2011 17:43 |  #3

sadly the warranty just expired.

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 28, 2011 20:08 |  #4

try not to blow directly onto the shutter curtain, maybe use a damp sensor swab (eclipse or sensor clear solution) to lightly wipe the mirror instead, but you need to do this gently as the mirror is silvered on the top.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

tolyD
THREAD ­ STARTER
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 28, 2011 23:10 |  #5

The thing is, I was blowing down in to the mirror while the shutter was down so the sensor was not exposed.

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,452 posts
Gallery: 163 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 28, 2011 23:12 |  #6

can you post a pic of an affected image?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

tolyD
THREAD ­ STARTER
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 29, 2011 07:36 |  #7

I deleted the images. When I took the picture of the sky, I ended up with a look like left border in my frame. It looked like a poll or a dark wall just a little hiding in the frame. I noticed it by the second time looking at the photo. So it was barely noticeable but it was there.

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

JBF
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 29, 2011 08:28 |  #8

Remember to always hold your camera down with the blower facing up. Otherwise you are just blowing the dust and grime around in the camera.

JBF
Canon 7D, Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 24-105L f/4, Canon 35L 1.4, Canon 200L f/2.8, Canon 70-200L II IS f/2.8, Canon 300L f/2.8IS, 580ex Flash, 430ex Flash, 1.4X Converter. Bunch of other crap! I want the new 500mmL and the 200L f/2.0

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 29, 2011 08:46 |  #9

JBF wrote in post #12115525 (external link)
Remember to always hold your camera down with the blower facing up. Otherwise you are just blowing the dust and grime around in the camera.

You're doing that either way, just when holding it upside down to are hoping that gravity results in the dust falling out. Kinda like assuming a leaf in wind will fall straight down...not always the case.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

jwp721
771 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 29, 2011 09:33 |  #10

Not sure about the black bar (and I would keep an eye out for it appearing again)..... but I don't think dust on the mirror would appear in your shots anyways.

John

PaulB
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 29, 2011 09:37 as a reply to  @ jwp721's post |  #11

Where on the frame - in landscape orientation - did the black 'bar' appear?

tolyD
THREAD ­ STARTER
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 29, 2011 09:50 |  #12

PaulB wrote in post #12115925 (external link)
Where on the frame - in landscape orientation - did the black 'bar' appear?

it was on the left side not a perfectly straight bar but a little tilted like 3 degrees (dark shadow). did some more shooting yesterday and it seems to be working fine. i really wonder what happened:confused:

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

hammmerhead
312 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 29, 2011 10:01 as a reply to  @ tolyD's post |  #13

It seems like blowing always does more harm than good for me in the long run. Yes I may get that speck off the sensor, but I have managed to stir up much more junk that has been residing in there, not to mention all the dust and particles that are in the air that I just blasted in there. I always do a wet surface clean on my sensor. I tell what gives me more fits though, focusing screens! I can never get that area clean enough and have never found anything to get into the voids and hard to get to areas. In time it doesnt matter, but there is nothing worse than having a fairly new body that is always having a spec or two show up in there over and over.

tolyD
THREAD ­ STARTER
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 29, 2011 10:06 |  #14

hammmerhead wrote in post #12116080 (external link)
It seems like blowing always does more harm than good for me in the long run. Yes I may get that speck off the sensor, but I have managed to stir up much more junk that has been residing in there, not to mention all the dust and particles that are in the air that I just blasted in there. I always do a wet surface clean on my sensor. I tell what gives me more fits though, focusing screens! I can never get that area clean enough and have never found anything to get into the voids and hard to get to areas. In time it doesnt matter, but there is nothing worse than having a fairly new body that is always having a spec or two show up in there over and over.

yeah i hear ya and i gave up on my viewfinder. i've heard the viewfinder screen is user removable but im not messing with it anymore.

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 29, 2011 10:14 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

hammmerhead wrote in post #12116080 (external link)

Blow jobs can work but
a good wet job is the way to go ...

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

sponsored links

2,424 views & 0 likes for this thread
problem after sensor cleaning
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.