Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Mar 2011 (Sunday) 22:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone use Alien Skin Bokeh 2?

Jordan'sDigitalDreams
89 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 29, 2011 16:36 |  #16

I had to select the subjects in the photos above to bokeh everything but them. Their are acutally a whole bunch of options in Bokeh 2 that I haven't taken the time to learn how to use. I know I can select out what I don't want Bokehed and then go in and tell it to use a normal bokeh off a 70-200 2.8 IS II to a 400 2.8 to a 50 1.8 all in a single click, that really saves time if you have more than one to work on.

solara wrote in post #12118841 (external link)
The fuzzy halo you see is because, I'm guessing, they applied the blurring to the entire photo, and then used layers and then masked back the foreground subjects. By applying blurring to the entire photo, they also effectively blurred the subjects in the foreground, creating a halo around them.

That's why you want to make a selection of the area to be blurred, and then have the plugin only blur that selection. I do that all the time with FocalPoint - it can work with selections. I don't think Bokeh 2 can work with selections but I haven't tried.

Canon 60D Gripped, 28-135 IS, 70-200 2.8, Sigma 50-500
580EX II, PW Mini & Flex

sponsored links
Yasko
25 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 29, 2011 16:46 |  #17

solara wrote in post #12118865 (external link)
Some people will say the blurring from these plugins are effectively the same as PS's own blurring - I can't say since I haven't done extensive testing.

But the plugins have their own features that PS doesn't have - like FocalPoint's selective brushing of blurring (and the brushing effect is additive, so some areas that you want slightly blurred would get a few brushes, while others that you want to be sharp, get lots of brushing, etc.), or Bokeh's creative highlights.

Just bokefied the original sports image in CS5's lens blur to compare, and I'm going to have to say the specular highlights of Bokeh2's is better and more natural looking, but CS5 does a wonderful job in the intersecting lines. The selective blurring you're mentioning with brushes can be achieved in CS5 with gradient masks and brushes as well. My conclusion is CS5 lens blur works great as long as the material you're starting with is completely sharp. In this image it wasn't, so it made the specular highlights themselves a little too blury. I'd say they're both great, Bokeh2 does better when backgrounds are already a little blurry

The first one is BOKEH2, second is CS5 lens blur

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D, 5DmkII, a bunch of Canon glass and adapted manual primes

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 29, 2011 19:30 |  #18

@Yasko, the gradient using the brush in FocalPoint is a bit different than creating a gradient in PS. It's a brush so you can brush in fine areas to decrease the blurring effect. This is required to do complex DOF where a simple planar gradient will look fake. You CAN do a realistic gradient in PS and then apply the blurring, but it takes a lot more time than using a simple brush.

To the OP, download both the trials for FocalPoint and Bokeh and try them out.

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

dotraw
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 02, 2012 04:08 as a reply to  @ Yasko's post |  #19
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
pellepiano
520 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 02, 2012 05:09 |  #20

Yes, Z123YOUNEEDTOBUYIT0001​1 =)

- Pelle Piano
// Websitei
www.pellepiano.com (external link)
// My Invented Gallery Site, for all my alias
Gallery Browalls (external link)

dotraw
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 02, 2012 06:59 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
aliengin
Goldmember
1,158 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 02, 2012 08:35 |  #22

JordansDigitalDreams wrote in post #12105959 (external link)
=Jordan'sDigitalDreams​;12105959]Yes, I use it mainly in sports beause its a little less noticable but I have used it in several of my portraits and it is awesome, produces a truly naturl looking bokeh. Here is a example I done with a sports pic

Very nicely done!

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

sponsored links

5,295 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone use Alien Skin Bokeh 2?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.