Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 15:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First impressions of my 60D...great little camera..no disappointments

drvred
275 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 29, 2011 06:17 as a reply to  @ post 12114586 |  #46

I use my camera for taking photos, not driving nails.

sponsored links
robtaylor22
425 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 29, 2011 09:46 |  #47

dave kadolph wrote in post #12111936 (external link)
Perhaps it is a question of age and experience--approaching retirement and work in heavy industry.

Thermoplastics don't hold up well in high stress environments--and in military environments they serve as handles or bumpers to absorb shock--not structural members.

Take a look at a MILSPEC pelican case--the hinge pins, latch pins, and lock eyes are all high grade stainless ;)

I understand what you are saying but for the vast majority of camera users it simply isn't necessary. A camera body is nothing more than a handle and bumper for the internals. You would scramble the insides long before the body would crack open.

If you feel you really need that, and very very few of us do, then you have other options, and that's a good thing. But again, do you know of anyone who has ever broken a camera body? I'm still waiting for that story about the cracked body.

For most of us it's nice to save weight and money. And for the same reason few of us have or need Pelican cases even though we all have the option to buy them.

Klamber
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 29, 2011 17:07 |  #48

robtaylor22 wrote in post #12110600 (external link)
I would love to know what people are doing to their cameras that they feel Magnesium Alloy is so important? Magnesium alloy adds weight and cost. Poly carbonate over a metal frame is stronger than what the Army uses for a lot of combat equipment.

When was the last time you heard of some one cracking open their camera body and if you know of some one like that (I don't), exactly how did they manage to do it?

It's much ado about nothing. Be glad for the cost and weight savings and move on.

I was comparing 60D vs 7D 4 days a row. Last think that popped in my head, was that they had diferent bodymaterials..
60D has very good and nicely designed body.

I am not always right, but I'm never wrong.

westernminnguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 29, 2011 18:22 |  #49

Klamber wrote in post #12119313 (external link)
I was comparing 60D vs 7D 4 days a row. Last think that popped in my head, was that they had diferent bodymaterials..

I have both the 60D and 7D. I've owned several Canon cameras. Once upon a time I owned a 1DIIn(outstanding camera) that originally sold new for over $4,500.

These are all great cameras....not a one did I buy based on whether or not the body would stand up in a crash test....that's a marketing ploy...wish folks would get that.:rolleyes:

Ever watch a video of a crash test dummies. Your camera going to volunteer for that video..regardless of brand...really???

A camera is like an instrument...like binoculars...like a telescope....you've got to care for your investment.

What a camera isn't...is a punching bag.

:)

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Mar 29, 2011 18:29 |  #50

westernminnguy wrote in post #12119779 (external link)
A camera is like an instrument...like binoculars...like a telescope....you've got to care for your investment.

What a camera isn't...is a punching bag.

:)

My cameras and lenses are tools- -like a hammer or a wrench--and they must stand up to whatever is required and deliver consistent results.

Depends on your expectations?

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

robtaylor22
425 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 29, 2011 21:30 |  #51

dave kadolph wrote in post #12119828 (external link)
My cameras and lenses are tools- -like a hammer or a wrench--and they must stand up to whatever is required and deliver consistent results.

Depends on your expectations?

I don't think I've ever used the words: hammer, wrench and camera in the same sentence before today.

I think a 1-Series camera is where you want to be. Maybe a 5D2.

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 29, 2011 22:33 |  #52

dave kadolph wrote in post #12119828 (external link)

For driving a nail or turning a bolt, my camera generally isn't the first thing I reach for, but I'm sure the magnesium bodies will work for that in a pinch. :lol:

Note to self: do not buy any camera bodies from dave kadolph, especially when he says "well cared for", as that just means he hit the nails with his a bit more gently (and thus, to get the job done, more often). :lol:

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 29, 2011 22:34 |  #53

robtaylor22 wrote in post #12120987 (external link)
I don't think I've ever used the words: hammer, wrench and camera in the same sentence before today.

I think a 1-Series camera is where you want to be. Maybe a 5D2.

Well, at least all that pounding on nails won't have a noticeable effect on the 5D2's autofocus system! :lol:

(ahem....just kidding, of course...)

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

noisycats
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 29, 2011 23:34 as a reply to  @ kcbrown's post |  #54

Think about a Glock or SA-XD or similar. This equipment can endure years of abuse without incident. Much of the magnesium thing is purely marketing. I admit myself that's pretty cool but I still purchased a 60D over a 7D

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 29, 2011 23:56 |  #55

noisycats wrote in post #12121659 (external link)
Think about a Glock or SA-XD or similar. This equipment can endure years of abuse without incident. Much of the magnesium thing is purely marketing. I admit myself that's pretty cool but I still purchased a 60D over a 7D

Yeah, but can you pound nails in with a Glock or XD? I mean, in today's trying economic times, you need your tools to be as multi-purpose as possible! :lol:

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,008 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 30, 2011 10:45 |  #56

Klamber wrote in post #12119313 (external link)

Here is a chart I made today to compare body weight and size amongst the xxD line, then included the T2i and 7D.

It is an interesting view, I think! Especially for those that say that the 60D appears to be rebel-like. ;)

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 30, 2011 13:20 |  #57

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12124251 (external link)
Here is a chart I made today to compare body weight and size amongst the xxD line, then included the T2i and 7D.

It is an interesting view, I think! Especially for those that say that the 60D appears to be rebel-like. ;)

Ha! I've said several times that the 60D reminds me of the 20D in its size and weight.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

hazydave
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 30, 2011 16:13 |  #58

Razeus wrote in post #12092430 (external link)
The concern with the 60D being now made of plastic is that its predecessor was made of magnesium and its direct competition (the Nikon D7000) is made from magnesium, thus the perceived build quality of the 60D is inferior and in line with the lesser Rebel series of cameras.

Yes.. much in the way that the "plastic" Corvette is inferior to the metal Camero :-)

hazydave
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 30, 2011 16:19 |  #59

frankwite wrote in post #12107749 (external link)
One of the best things about the 60d (for me) is the sdhc cards. They're really macbook pro friendly and I don't have to carry a card reader around anymore like I would when I used my old compact flash cards. What a relief!!!;)

Yup. I have dozens of devices that support SDHC.. I even have a few CF to SDHC adapters... once I saw the world moving the SD direction, I didn't want to buy new CF cards for my older cameras.

And the new UHS mode on SDHC/SDXC pretty much erases any speed advantage of CF (and then, only CF in UDMA mode). Yes, a CF card will always have more potential capacity, but given the 32GB SDHC card in my 60D, and 128GB cards out now, for $250 and falling, I don't see capacity becoming a huge issue again.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,008 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 30, 2011 17:47 |  #60

hazydave wrote in post #12126362 (external link)
Yes.. much in the way that the "plastic" Corvette is inferior to the metal Camero :-)

Actually, fixing a metal panel on a Camaro was much cheaper and quicker than the fiberglass bodies on the vette.

I had 4 camaros (3 x L98 and 1 x LT1/LT4) and a Z06, I know of what I speak!

4 of these 5 vehicles all ended up at the body shop for one thing or another, some good, some not so good. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

8,017 views & 0 likes for this thread
First impressions of my 60D...great little camera..no disappointments
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.