Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Mar 2011 (Friday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How have Canon's Warranty Service treated you?"
Repair even for free even out of warranty.
38%
Honored warranty.
54%
Made up excuses and not honor warranty.
8%

150 voters, 150 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BEWARE! Canon Service Center accused me of mishandled and won't honor warranty.

k9trainer
384 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 29, 2011 08:28 |  #91

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12115041 (external link)
Here is their explicit warranty term related to the LCD...

No where do I read that the LCD is not covered as described by the OP and if you were to read it to say the LCD is not covered then you would have to read it to believe the Body, and Lens were also not covered.

Canon 5D Mark IV & BG-E20
17-40L & 70-200 IS2.8 Mark II L
Canon1.4x ll & 2X II Extender
Canon 15mm Fisheye
Previously owned Canon 5DI, 5DII, BG-E6, Canon 70-2002.8IS L, 24-105IS L, Flash 580EX II

sponsored links
pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 29, 2011 11:37 |  #92

To me that reads if there is obvious damage then they presume you have not looked after it and loose your warranty. The op says his camera is mint so a faulty LCD should be replaced

Mark
Gear List

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 30, 2011 09:06 |  #93
bannedPermanent ban

pilsburypie wrote in post #12116775 (external link)
To me that reads if there is obvious damage then they presume you have not looked after it and loose your warranty. The op says his camera is mint so a faulty LCD should be replaced

Yup it's in mint condition, if you put it side to side with a brand new one you won't notice any differences cause I take care of my products. No obvious damage but they still refused to honor the warranty.

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 30, 2011 09:07 |  #94
bannedPermanent ban

k9trainer wrote in post #12115523 (external link)
No where do I read that the LCD is not covered as described by the OP and if you were to read it to say the LCD is not covered then you would have to read it to believe the Body, and Lens were also not covered.

consumer.usa.canon.com​/app/pdf/slr/Rebel_Ti_​manual.pdf

page 5

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 30, 2011 09:07 |  #95
bannedPermanent ban

mike_311 wrote in post #12071449 (external link)
i didn't read all 5 pages of this thread but did you purchase with a credit card and did you try to contact them? Most credit cards will enhance the manufacturers warranty and may even help you handle this.

even for almost a year? I purchased it from beachcamera on their ebay account...it's not really beachcamera's fault...so I don't want to screw them over...or should I? I still have a few days of warranty left on it.

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 30, 2011 09:11 |  #96
bannedPermanent ban

JBF wrote in post #12075812 (external link)
If it is in perfect condition and shows no sign of droppage. (new word) I don't see how they and refuse to repair it. Did you send a copy of your sales receipt proving it is still under warranty? If you can prove that and they refused to fix, then you have a valid case. Go higher up! Call back and ask for a supervisor, if you don't get what you want from him, ask for another supervisor thats higher than him, and keep going.

Yeah I did, I sent them my sales receipt. The body is in like perfect condition. I can't prove it since they were smart and told me everything over the phone and the only thing they put in writing is "$250" in an email which they did not explain why or what it's for. (smart move) I called for a supervisor even he refused and told me it was "mishandled" when he did not even look at the damn camera.

k9trainer
384 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 30, 2011 16:10 |  #97

craigslistpost604 wrote in post #12123641 (external link)
consumer.usa.canon.com​/app/pdf/slr/Rebel_Ti_​manual.pdf

page 5

Whats your point?

Is what is described in that paragraph what happened to your LCD? "over time may fade" "Extreme temp may turn black"

My understanding is you have no idea what caused your LCD to stop working.
Until they open it up and give a written explanation you still have no idea.

Try this "motor wont start" you have no idea why it wont start but you told to replace the motor, when it actually turns out to be a bad connection to the starter.
Make since?

Call a different Canon repair center and ask what they think you should do.

something is just not making since.

Canon 5D Mark IV & BG-E20
17-40L & 70-200 IS2.8 Mark II L
Canon1.4x ll & 2X II Extender
Canon 15mm Fisheye
Previously owned Canon 5DI, 5DII, BG-E6, Canon 70-2002.8IS L, 24-105IS L, Flash 580EX II

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,742 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 03, 2011 11:08 |  #98

Roy Mathers wrote in post #12049329 (external link)
That appears to be applicable to Canada. As noted earlier in this discussion, not everyone lives in North America.

Thank goodness. It'd be awfully crowded here if they did. ;) :lol:

btw, this OP is now selling supposedly brand new canon gear like crazy on the sell forum. Guess he didn't switch after all.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 05, 2011 09:33 |  #99

MDJAK wrote in post #12870027 (external link)
btw, this OP is now selling supposedly brand new canon gear like crazy on the sell forum. Guess he didn't switch after all.

Maybe he got new replacement items from Canon over his service issue, is so upset with Canon that he's selling all to switch to Nikon.

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 05, 2011 11:57 |  #100

Hi,

I know next to nothing but there is no way I am going to believe that the LCD is not covered under warranty. Simply does not make any sense.

Would you buy a $1000 camera knowing this?

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

biggcstylez
468 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 05, 2011 14:58 |  #101

craigslistpost604 wrote in post #12042233 (external link)

I bought a Canon T1i back in April 2010, on March 2011 the LCD display suddenly stopped working. There was nothing showing on the screen even though it was turned on. I can see the shutter speed, iso, aperture, etc. when I look through the viewfinder but none of that shows up on the LCD display. I tried taking pictures with it and nothing shows up to review. I then uploaded the pictures into my computer and all of the pictures are there with all the settings I set to. First let me say I am extremely careful and soft with my camera gears. I never dropped it, banged it, took it for a dive or even in the rain. It was always placed inside a cushion bag when not in use.

So I called Canon to schedule a warranty repair and have the camera shipped to them which was $19. Then when they got it they told me the camera is not covered by the warranty. They told me the LCD is broken and I have to pay $250 to fix it even though it's still under it's damn freaking warranty. I asked them what caused it and they said "probably mishandled, you probably dropped it. We didn't take it apart, but the LCD is broken, so we need to get new parts for it. You will get like a brand new camera when it's fixed."

After they accused me of dropping it I told her there's no single scratch on the camera body. How can she tell me to pay $250 when they didn't even OPEN UP THE DAMN CAMERA to see if it's manufacture malfunction !?!? So nothing was solved I asked for the supervisor/manager and he refused to get it warrantied because he said "It's not a known factory part problem." WTF !?!?!!?!!? So a few thousands people have to have this issue for you guys to say it's under warranty or not !?!? Then why even advertise the warranty !!

The supervisor then said, "We are just charging for the parts and this is the cheapest repair." I shouldn't even have to pay to begin with since this is obviously a manufacture defect issue. I never mishandled it but Canon Service Center from Virginia accused me that I did, what can I do? Not much I can do other than file a class act lawsuit against them which I do not have money to do so and their top lawyers will eat me up alive. All I can do is post something out there and let everyone know how Canon USA are treating their customers like me who are out another $50 because Canon require me to pay them return shipping. Canon will never see another penny from me. Anyway...Nikon here I come !!

Three letters for you... BBB.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/biggcstylez/ (external link)
Gear: Canon 5D Mark II | 35 f1.4L | Σ 85 f1.4 | 135 f2L | 580EXII | 430EXII x2 |

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
40,742 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 05, 2011 15:27 |  #102

???

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 05, 2011 15:31 |  #103

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #12881847 (external link)
Maybe he got new replacement items from Canon over his service issue, is so upset with Canon that he's selling all to switch to Nikon.

the OP just bought a new 7D and new T3i two days ago !

sponsored links

19,022 views & 0 likes for this thread
BEWARE! Canon Service Center accused me of mishandled and won't honor warranty.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.