Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 08:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much do you actually use your gear?

gdourado07
258 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 30, 2011 08:40 |  #1

Hi...
How are you?

So, today I was thinking...
Pretty much all of us here have some sort of equipment lust... Either it's camera bodies, lenses, lighting equipment and so on...
We all wish we had that camera body, those L primes, those very expensive zooms...
But most of us here, are also not professional photographers.
We have photography as a hobby that can quickly become a very expensive hobby...
I'm not a professional, I have a full time day job as an IT consultant. On top of that, I have my house to take care of and my dear wife. So my time for photography is not the amount of time I wish it was, either for studying, reading books, watching PP tutorials or actually shooting...
I pretty much use my cameras for traveling or some escapes during the weekends...
Hell, sometimes I even find myself thinking of selling my whole gear, buy a S95 and just travel light... :)

So, my question to start a small debate here...
For all of you non professionals, how much do you actually use your gear?
Do you buy lenses that actually get a justifiable use? Or do you buy a prime that only shoots a couple of times a year?
Have you haver had regrets of buying some expensive lens or camera and not using it enough to justify the cost? Is it really worth it for hobbyists to build a collections of, let's say... Expensive L glass?

Would love to read your take on this one... :)

Cheers!

Current gear:
Fuji X100S

sponsored links
EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 30, 2011 08:42 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Canon FF and APS - C w/ L glass zooms only when on vacation or with preety girls. 20% of time.
MFDSLR w primes when with High Heeled clients. *80% of time.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,246 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 30, 2011 09:11 as a reply to  @ EL_PIC's post |  #3

There are days when I don't take a single picture, but they are pretty rare.

There's usually pretty long periods between when I use my macro lens, but when I really need it it's invaluable.

There are periods when my CP-E4 battery pack for the 580 EX II flash doesn't see any use, but when I need it, it's invaluable.

I'd say that 10-22, 17-55, 24-105 and 70-200 are problably the most used focal lengths for me. I have other lenses which I used more before getting some of these newer ones, but when you upgrade, it's pretty natural that the old stuff you replaced sees little use.

Anders

craigslistpost604
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 30, 2011 09:15 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I don't even use my gears..I just buy them to have the feeling of actually owning them...one of my len's been sitting here for 6 months since I bought it cause I always wanted a telephoto lens. The wireless flash trigger and remote control I paid for $100 have been sitting here since 2 years...I think it's the DSLR boom and hype all of a sudden that everyone MUST have it to be hip/trendy. I know...I'm one of those people...One day I might end up selling everything I have and stick with a point and shoot. Now a days the P&S and shoot DSLR quality for us regular people.

Growingshort
372 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 30, 2011 09:34 |  #5

Well, as of right now I don't have enough gear to have some laying around lol...Although, my Nifty might not be getting much use anymore since I've gotten my 135L...

Nick S.|5D Classic|Nifty 50 |35L|
Flickr (external link)

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 30, 2011 09:39 |  #6

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have ;)

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Mar 30, 2011 09:46 |  #7

I use more gear than others, but overall, I shoot with all of my gear at least twice a week.

I wish I could do more, but just don't have any time.

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,698 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 30, 2011 09:53 |  #8

gdourado07 wrote in post #12123508 (external link)
Hi...
How are you?

Pretty much all of us here have some sort of equipment lust... Either it's camera bodies, lenses, lighting equipment and so on...
We all wish we had that camera body, those L primes, those very expensive zooms...
We have photography as a hobby that can quickly become a very expensive hobby...
I'm not a professional, I have a full time day job as an IT consultant. On top of that, I have my house to take care of and my dear wife. So my time for photography is not the amount of time I wish it was, either for studying, reading books, watching PP tutorials or actually shooting...
I pretty much use my cameras for traveling or some escapes during the weekends...
Hell, sometimes I even find myself thinking of selling my whole gear, buy a S95 and just travel light... :)

Do you buy lenses that actually get a justifiable use? Or do you buy a prime that only shoots a couple of times a year?
Have you haver had regrets of buying some expensive lens or camera and not using it enough to justify the cost? Is it really worth it for hobbyists to build a collections of, let's say... Expensive L glass?

Cheers!

5Dc and Nifty Fifty is very light and compact combo. Fits into computer bag, where I have a lot of cables and Panasonic ToughBook.

I'm in broadcast business full time since 1991. Photo is my hobby for last few years.

I have boat which we (family) using about ten times per year. Maximum twenty times.
The boat cost was 15K on purchase. Now it is around 8-10K after three years.

I have two cameras and few lenses - it costs all together around 3.5K or less.
My cheapest L class lens hasn't dropped in the price since I have purchased it new.
If you look at L lenses prices new and used - some of them have almost no depreciation.

And I use my photo gear almost every day. Before my work, during lunch time and on the way back to home.
It is absolutely the best usage-price ratio I ever have for anything I purchased.
And it is takes almost no time to get it ready to use compare to our boat. :rolleyes:

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Gerald3
107 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 30, 2011 10:10 |  #9

gdourado07 wrote in post #12123508 (external link)
Hi...
How are you?

Cheers!

At the moment I'm a poor cashier working at Tuesday Morning part time. I plan on going to school to become a professional photographer, so I don't know if my answer is valid. But here it goes anyways.

As others have said above, there were days where I didn't shoot anything at all, and there were prolonged periods of time when I shot consistently. The amount of time I spent shooting depended on my mood, and because I had been battling depression for many years prior to last summer, I never really felt like picking up my camera. But now that that has changed, I'm shooting as often as I possibly can, and I'm looking for anything that I can capture and turn into a unique image that represents a moment in time that will live for as long as the medium it is on exists, whether it be a memory card or a gallery print.

I'm living at home with the folks, while I plan out my next moves in terms of a job in the photography industry and school. My mother runs an in home daycare, so I take pictures of the little ones throughout the year and at the end of the year, I select one photo of each child to give to the parents in an 8x10 black and white photo (framed, of course). Not only is this a good way to practice and hone my skills, but it is also a good way of getting recognized (to a small extent) as a talented and skilled photographer. I've had several parents ask me if I would do photoshoots of them and their children, but I would decline because I didn't have the confidence in myself that I would be able to meet my own (unrealistic) expectations of perfection. My parents always tell everyone, "Oh yes, he's a very talented photographer." But talent alone does not a good photographer make. ;)

Getting back on track here, I usually shoot quite often when they are playing and try to catch them when they least suspect me, or when they are outside running about. But other than that, I haven't really done much shooting or used my gear all that much, except for a couple of portrait sessions with my friends.

So to make a long story short, I use my gear as often as I need to, which for me is on what is close to a daily basis. For the kids, it really depends on how many pictures that I have to choose from for each child come the end of the year. If it's getting close to December and I've got plenty of good photos to choose from, then the only problem I'll usually have is choosing only one photo of each child. If the opposite is true, then I'm usually more active to get more photos and a broader selection to choose from.

I hope that answers your question, and if you read this far, I congratulate you. Give yourself a pat on the back. :lol:

I forgot to include my gear list, silly me. :)

Canon EOS 1D Mk II (upgraded from XTi), 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM II, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 Hotshoe Flash, Mettle 400W/s Studio Monolight, Yongnuo RF-602 wireless trigger/receiver combo.

Cheers.

Cheers, Gerald III
1D Mk II | Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM II

malndobe
315 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 30, 2011 10:16 |  #10

Actually a lot :-) I don't have as much gear as some people here, an old Rebel, 7D, and 4 lens, 1 which I never use, it came with the Rebel. The other 3 are a 28-135 IS, 75-300 III USM, and Sigma 150-500 OS.

I would say I take photos at least 3 days a week, even if it's just a half hour in the yard "stalking" the birds at the bird feeder. But my other main hobby is dog training, so I'm almost always out there with my gear at training or trials taking photos, and we train a couple of days a week.

My only equipment lust has been driven by improving on what I'm already getting. First I was happy with the non-DSLR camera's. But then I maxed out what I could do with them in terms of quality. So I moved up to the Rebel and was happy with that and the 75-300 lens. But I maxed out the quality I could get with that, and knew better could be had. So I purchased the 28-135. Then the 7D, and most recently the 150-500 And once I'm getting as good as I can with the current equipment, which is going to take me awhile LOL, I will probably upgrade to something else.

Considering what I have spent over the years training and trialing my dogs, the camer hobby so far is cheap :-)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,719 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 30, 2011 10:19 as a reply to  @ malndobe's post |  #11

Almost everyday. If I'm not shooting for a client I'm shooting for me but to pay the bills I have to shoot for clients at least 3 or 4 times a week with a full day in there somewhere. I usually work almost everyday and sometimes in the fall I can go a month without a day I don't shoot for clients.

ap10046
40 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 30, 2011 10:24 |  #12

Barely, if that. Carry my 7D+50/1.4 to work everyday and I barely get 1 pic a week, again, if that!
I wish I could make better use of the little equipment I have.
Damn, I forgot, I don't use my P&S either!

What do you guys shoot weekly?

Canon 7D
Canon 24-105 F4 L IS USM
Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM
Leica D-Lux 4
ThinkTank UD 60 V2 ~ Lowepro Nova 180

superNoid
243 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 30, 2011 10:30 |  #13

I work 50 hour, sometimes 60 hour weeks then have a pretty standard routine when I'm off at home with the wife and young son. Most of my free time during the week is after 10pm so I tend to either work on some videos or play me some good video games.

On weekends the fam and I go out and about and thats when I shoot for the most part. Occasionally during the week, depending but I would say in a 7 day week I shoot a consistent 2 days, sometimes 4.

Photography is a hobby for me, not a lifestyle. I have other hobbies including video games, road cycling, video editing, working out and wrestling with my son. I squeeze in some camera time when it makes sense.

Canon 7D | Canon 24-70 2.8L| Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC | Canon 50 1.8 | Canon 18-55 3.5 IS | Speedlite 430EX II | LowPro Slingshot 202AW | Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 | LCDVF | Home Strobist Setup | GoPro Hero3+ Black

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,801 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 30, 2011 10:44 |  #14

I get to use my gear pretty regularly - unfornately not always for what I like. With a baby in the house, I get to do a ton of shots of her. Nothing wrong with this, but I find I'm doing the same pics over and over again just with a slightly bigger subject (babies grow). Hoping that will change when the weather gets warmer and dryer here in NC.

It's rare that I get to go out and just walk around and snap some nature shots or spend some time working on different techiniques. Part of that is having a new baby and part is simply not having anywhere to go - yet.

I actually really enjoy photography when I get to choose my work or get to do something new. My wife is shocked I stuck with it as I tend to pick up a hobby and drop it after a few months. 4 years later, I'm still doing it.

Now, if I can just get my kit where I like it, I'll really be happy (and broke).

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,698 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 30, 2011 10:46 |  #15

ap10046 wrote in post #12124106 (external link)
...What do you guys shoot weekly?

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_hdZasF15SMc/TW1J79YGI0I/AAAAAAAAR4A/2MZN4NhJ9C8/_MG_2082.JPG

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_hdZasF15SMc/TV6oixUQY1I/AAAAAAAARfk/F790ttO6EsA/IMG_1445.JPG

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

3,305 views & 0 likes for this thread
How much do you actually use your gear?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.