Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Mar 2011 (Monday) 08:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom3 performance in MacBook Pro vs Pc

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 30, 2011 10:58 |  #16

when you say there is a 2 second lag time what exactly do you mean?

your in develop with the adjustment brush open, and when you highlight and go to another picture with the brush still open it takes 2 seconds to render the picture? is it a 1 to 1 preview?

does the 1 to 1 preview already exist?

if you just have a 1 to 1 preview open and no brush open does it open faster?

mine is near instant but I have a SSD drive & my pics on another stripe

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 30, 2011 13:24 |  #17

myjunk wrote in post #12122570 (external link)
Camera raw cache is 50gb of the raid0 disk.

I've even tried moving the catalog into a 10k rpm raptor drive. No cigar(actualy, this 1st gen raptor, hdtune saw the numbers being worst compared to a 7200rpm drive)

All imports are into a new catalog. Average size of each catalog (each import) is like 2.5k raw photos of 18mp each ~25mb file.

Video card is an ATI radeon w/ 1gb ram. ATI 4850 or something like that. Cant remember the numbers.

Actually, the lag is bearable, but if I can do something about it, I would. Actually, have regretted a little bit in getting the off-the-shelf acer m7710 PC. Now I cant even do any simple over clocking. A modest increase in CPU speeed should help plenty I presume. As I see the CPU spiking every time adjustments are done.

Am Hoping that a Mac would make things better, but I take it that the collective agreement that it does not make a difference? Is this presumption correct?

I'd say that's what's causing your speed issues. Having ~2500 18mp files open is going to slow your system down. Import a few hundred at a time, or just flag the ones you want to edit and remove the rest from the library for when you want to start editing.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 30, 2011 17:09 |  #18

I am running LR3 on all of the following machines right now and have tried RAW post processing on all of them as well and to be honest, as much as I love my Macs, my old, very expensive built (at the time) PC performs much better and I do all my editing on my PC. In fact I have been thinking of rebuilding it the PC with newer higher specs just to get the even more added performance.

PC
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 OC'd to 3.6Ghz
Zalman 9700NT nVidia Edition CPU Cooler
ASUS P5B Deluxe Motherboard
4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 at 4-4-3-8 timings
2 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 Hard Drives in RAID 1
BFG Tech 8800GTX Graphics Card
Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card
OCZ 700W Power Supply
Antec 900 Case
2 x Samsung SATA DVD Burners
Samsung 305T 30" LCD
Logitech G9 3200DPI Gaming Mouse
Belkin Nostromo n52 Gaming Pad
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP3
3DMark06 Score: 12k+ (In case you were wondering )

 Mac Desktop
Mac Mini
Mac OSX 10.6.7
2.53Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067Mhz DDR3 Ram
320GB Hard Drive
Nvidia GeForce 9400M Graphics Card
Superdrive
Samsung 305T 30" LCD Monitor
Apple Dual-Link DVI Adaptor
Apple Mini Wireless Keyboard
Logitech G9 3200DPI Gaming Mouse
Apple Remote

 Mac Laptop
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
Mac OSX 10.6.7
2.3Ghz Intel Core i5
4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 Ram
320GB Hard Drive
Superdrive

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom3 performance in MacBook Pro vs Pc
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.