Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 30 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 02:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What the heck is a Drobo?!

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 30, 2011 02:55 |  #1

Hey Guys,

I can't comprehend what the heck a Drobo is or how to use one...

One of the most dangerous things that I've been doing is not backing up ANY of my stuff. This can prove to be a HUGE problem if a hard drive were to ever fail. A friend owns a drobo and he recommends it as a back up system so that I can sleep easy at night knowing that my clients'/family photos are safe from a hard drive failure.

Now, I have a few questions to those who own/know about this product.

1) Does this work as an external hard drive that keeps backing itself up?
2) Would you recommend a normal drobo or the drobo S? The drobo S is QUITE expensive but I'm sure that if it's that much faster, I can definitely muster up the $$$$.

Sincerely,
Marlon

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 30, 2011 06:55 |  #2

http://datarobotics.co​m/ (external link)
http://photonotes.org/​reviews/drobo/ (external link)
http://photonotes.org/​blog/?p=638 (external link)

You could build a Raid yourself.
Drobo uses it's own proprietary format.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 30, 2011 07:54 |  #3

yes it works as an external hard drive, I would not recommend either of them, I have one (original version) and I hate it, countless problems, crappy support, overpriced, and ridiculously slow and I mean ridiculous ! this thing maxes at 35Mbs which is slower than a CF card !

the idea is cool but outside of using this for backups I wouldn't use it for primary storage, even for backups its so slow I am still contemplating buying a different system

oh and their claim that when you lose a hard drive you can still access the data is a load of crap as well, 2 times now this turd thought my hard drive was bad and rebuilt it and I could not access some of my data for over a day

I use it now for my time machine backup, and a backup of my photos from another HD, then I back all of it up to the cloud because I don't trust this thing

do some google searches on drobo performance you will see tons of complaints like mine

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 30, 2011 11:52 |  #4

I have no idea how you have your Drobo S hooked up but I use an eSata port and monitor large file transfers (I get bored, sometimes). I don't think I've ever seen less than 60mbs and typicaly it's in the low 70's for big file copies.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,313 posts
Gallery: 797 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 30, 2011 11:57 |  #5

I have a drobo at home and my students/staff have another 6 or so. No problems at all, we find them very reliable. When I load a folder into Bridge that has several hundred pictures, it takes a bit of time but not enough to ruin my day.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 30, 2011 12:03 |  #6

I didnt say I had a drobo S I said I had the original drobo ;) the S is faster but I think the S stands for Slow

60-70Mbs is still really slow, a std 5400rpm laptop hard drive can do that

I have a 5 year old IDE 4 disk raid with 5400 rpm hard drives and its capable of doing 180Mbs and its cheaper than a drobo

a single run of the mill 7200 rpm desktop hard drive can do 80-90MB, a 1TB WD black is 110MB

if I am paying that much money I expect something fast

Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 30, 2011 14:21 |  #7

It's supposed to be backup. Loading a 25 meg raw file on either one into CS5 is hardly going to be noticeable.

And I am not talking what it is capable of such as burst speed. I was referring to sustained speeds.

The one thing that a Drobo offers that no other system does is single/double redundancy along with the ability to use drives of different sizes and change them on the fly. All of these things have a value to me, they may not, for you.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 30, 2011 14:30 |  #8

first drobo doesn't market it as "backup"

yes it supposedly does have that redundancy but read around and you will see many people complaining about how it lost all of its data, it never lost all of mine but it did it 2 times where I couldn't access it for a day, so if they are going to claim it can do it at least make it work

if you think there is no difference in the load time of files on the drobo vs another disk your kidding yourself I moved mine from the drobo to 2 SATA drives and the pictures open at least 5 times faster now, lightroom is like a different application!

Canon 500L, 100-400L
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 30, 2011 15:07 |  #9

Whatever ;-)a

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 30, 2011 15:10 |  #10

remember that thread of you complaining of LR performance, I bet you still have it right? I had it to and I solved it by removing the drobo ;)

Canon 500L, 100-400L
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 30, 2011 15:13 |  #11

I moved the library to internal drives but kept the images on the Drobo. Having both on the Drobo was too slow. Now it works fine. Not as fast as internal drives but satisfactorily, for me. My library has about 60,000 images. Just guessing.

PS: No matter how fast the computer, they all idle at the same speed.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 30, 2011 16:12 |  #12

lol yes at idle it makes no difference :)

I found moving the images to the internal drives made a massive difference, now I only use the drobo for a backup which its good at :)

I put the os / cache / catalog on a SSD and then put the pics on a raid0 and the difference in performance was like going from a 286 to the fastest computer in the world :)

Canon 500L, 100-400L
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 30, 2011 18:18 |  #13

I'm sure but I don't care. My setup works well for me. I have no need to upgrade anything.

just so you know where I am coming from... I've been in the IT business since 1977. Hardware and now, developing software, originally for the chemical industry and now for the financial industry.

When I was younger and had less money I was far more nerdy than now where I am considerably more comfortable and pragmatic. I'm not into "stuff". I learned the difference between need and want. I rarely fall for the want.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Marloon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 31, 2011 12:11 |  #14

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your help! i decided to buy the 2nd gen drobo S for it's E-sata connection. I brought it home with a smile in my pocket and a hole in my wallet. I loaded 2 2TB green drives into it.

Now this is where I am embarrased and in need for anyone's help. When I got home, I decided to move ALL of my 2009 RAW files into it. The drobo took it and wanted to do an update. I updated it, and it rebooted. The next thing I know, the drobo dashboard shows "320GB of used space and 1.68TB of UNALLOCATED SPACE. It says that in order to reclaim the unallocated space, I have to reformat the drobo which would lose ALL of my 2009 Work. I am glad that I didn't copy my other raw files into it. I am considering returning this damn thing. It was pricey and I am now at risk of losing my files. This thing was suppose to SAVE my files, not EAT IT UP. I cannot access the drobo and ALL of my freaking files are in that DAMN thing.

Now my questions...
- How do i get my raw files out?
- How do I reclaim the data on it?
- How do I reclaim the unallocated space without losing the data? Is that possible?
- Do you encourage me to call their tech support? I heard that I'll have a horrible experience.

HELP! PLEASE!!!! AHHH. i am so stressed out!!!!

I'm MARLON

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

Marloon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 31, 2011 12:15 |  #15

Just read this on one of the review links posted above...

If the Drobo enclosure dies, and you need to pull some data off a drive in a hurry, you won’t be able to. The Drobo uses a proprietary mapping system and Drobo-formatted drives apparently can’t be connected using a standard FireWire-SATA or USB-SATA adapter. (I don’t have a SATA dock or enclosure on hand so I can’t test this, but it’s my understanding) The only way around this is to have two Drobo enclosures on hand. February 2011 addendum - this, in fact, is one of the things that has screwed me over now that my Drobo has failed.

OMG WAHTHTHT!?!??! WHATHH!H!?!?!?

I'm MARLON

sponsored links

5,395 views & 0 likes for this thread
What the heck is a Drobo?!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.