Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Apr 2011 (Friday) 09:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

cleaning off your sensor with an air hose

ThomasOwenM
959 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 01, 2011 09:15 |  #1

Those dust particles just don't seem to get dislodged. Would it work if I took my camera to the gas station and blasted the dust off with one of those air hoses that you use to fill your tires?

===============
1D Mark III, Canon 50L f/1.2, Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 lens, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, 430 EX flash, ST-E2 Transmitter, Quantaray QSX 9500 tripod, Manfrotto monopod

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,359 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 01, 2011 09:24 |  #2

Well, it would work but you're likly get get all kinds of other junk on there. Gas station air is quite dirty and I would be surprised if it was filtered in any way both for more dust and more likely for water.

If you have stuck dust particles, invest in a good wet cleaning system such as the Copperhill one.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 01, 2011 10:33 |  #3

You'd probably dislodge some particles while managing to cover your sensor in much worse gunk like grease and oil residue.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 01, 2011 10:39 |  #4

ThomasOwenM wrote in post #12137458 (external link)
Those dust particles just don't seem to get dislodged. Would it work if I took my camera to the gas station and blasted the dust off with one of those air hoses that you use to fill your tires?

Absolutely. Do it on my birthday (today) every year. :rolleyes:

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

ThomasOwenM
THREAD ­ STARTER
959 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 01, 2011 11:46 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #5

The other thing that I thought might work is putting it in a vice grip and hitting it on the back with a hammer to dislodge particles.

===============
1D Mark III, Canon 50L f/1.2, Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 lens, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, 430 EX flash, ST-E2 Transmitter, Quantaray QSX 9500 tripod, Manfrotto monopod

led ­ hed
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 01, 2011 11:57 |  #6

haha, funny, meh.

Rob - "a photographer is a painter, in a hurry!"
Canon 7D ~ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MKII ~ Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ~ Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon 430EX ~ Canon EF 2.0X III Telephoto Extender ~ Canon SX230 HS

martini
60 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 01, 2011 12:03 |  #7

ThomasOwenM wrote in post #12138271 (external link)
The other thing that I thought might work is putting it in a vice grip and hitting it on the back with a hammer to dislodge particles.

A better idea is to use a flat bladed screwdriver to scrape the particles off the sensor. After that, a little Windex and she's good to go.

- martini

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 01, 2011 12:12 as a reply to  @ martini's post |  #8

This thread is either an April Fool's joke, or some people just don't need to own a camera...

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

ThomasOwenM
THREAD ­ STARTER
959 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 01, 2011 12:13 as a reply to  @ martini's post |  #9

I should have thought of this. Here's the best method ever:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

===============

tx_40d
121 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 01, 2011 12:26 |  #10

Hey, I just tried your method of running it under the sink for 5 minutes and now it wont turn on; do you think its a problem with its connection to the lens? Should I clean the lens too?

Thanks,
tx_40d

ThomasOwenM
THREAD ­ STARTER
959 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 01, 2011 12:28 |  #11

tx_40d wrote in post #12138502 (external link)
Hey, I just tried your method of running it under the sink for 5 minutes and now it wont turn on; do you think its a problem with its connection to the lens? Should I clean the lens too?

Don't worry. It's fine. It just needs to dry. Put it in a toaster oven to dry it more quickly. And, yes, clean the lens with Lysol disinfectant.

===============

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Apr 01, 2011 12:33 |  #12

Use the dishwasher on the Potscrubber cycle!

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,348 posts
Gallery: 341 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 01, 2011 12:36 |  #13

Dremel tool with a buffer attachment, thorough and fast.

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,669 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 01, 2011 12:36 |  #14

I took it to the carwash. after washing the car, i used the pressure washer on it. a bit of rain-x and some spot free rinsing helped keep that sensor clean.

SmugMug (external link)

tx_40d
121 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 01, 2011 12:53 |  #15

just got it out of the toaster, looks great! and after giving the lens a lysol bath it looks like it gained an extra 2 stops...

Next, I'm thinking about hooking up my flash to the car battery for a little extra range; I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
tx_40d

sponsored links

1,534 views & 0 likes for this thread
cleaning off your sensor with an air hose
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.