Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Apr 2011 (Friday) 09:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pelican Case owners -?'s - looking at a 1300

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 01, 2011 09:41 |  #1

I'm going to be taking the Xsi along on a 10 day kayaking trip though the Boundary Waters. The plan is to take the XSi with grip and the 15-85 along.
I was thinking about the pelican 1300 case to safely carry it, keep it mostly water resistant, and still be small enough since cargo space is a premium.

anyone out there with a 1300 and know if this is big enough to do the job?

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

sponsored links
DigiNon
885 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 01, 2011 13:55 |  #2

I personally own the Pelican 1510 (external link) and I can say that these cases are very much worth spending your money on them. High quality product that will keep your gear safe and secure. The 1510 is also small enough to fit in most overhead compartments so it's great for travel and fits a lot of gear. I believe the 1300 will be big enough for the gear listed, but you should consider purchasing something a bit bigger in case you add more lenses and accessories to your current equipment. One day you may want to carry a little more with you and won't have enough space.

l Mario l AE-1P l EOS 5 l 5Dc l 5DII l 17-40L l 35L l 50 1.4 l 100L l 70-200L II l

anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 01, 2011 15:01 |  #3

someday I may want more, but given the traveling conditions, every square inch and every pound is going to count. Have 3 - 1/4 Mi portages along the way. I could always take a P&S along, but I'm willing to make a few sacrifices in clothing and gear for this. Just trying to maximize my space.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 01, 2011 15:38 |  #4

anothernewb wrote in post #12139540 (external link)
someday I may want more, but given the traveling conditions, every square inch and every pound is going to count. Have 3 - 1/4 Mi portages along the way. I could always take a P&S along, but I'm willing to make a few sacrifices in clothing and gear for this. Just trying to maximize my space.

Having taken canoe trips, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

One thing to keep in mind is that while the Pelican case (which is a fantastic idea) will keep the camera safe, dry, and afloat, it will not do a thing if the camera isn't in it. If you're planning on taking pictures from inside of the canoe when on the water, be very careful about tipping, splashes, and keeping the pelican closed (even if the camera isn't in it!).

If it were me, I would much rather have an inexpensive FD setup when on the water and shoot a whole bunch of 35mm film. Slightly smaller, lighter, you won't have to worry about battery power so much (though you will have to worry about film), and not a terrible financial loss if it gets dunked.

Good luck whatever your decision!

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 01, 2011 16:03 |  #5

yeah, I don't plan on using the slr for the "on the water" shots, we've got a P&S along for that kind of stuff. Taking the SLR along is purely my choice, and it's insured. if it gets dunked - it gets dunked. Got 4 batts and plenty of cards so no worries about power.

ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 01, 2011 16:03 |  #6

Also look into the lowepro DryZone bags. I've done the boundary water trip before. Its a great time to have a camera. Only 3 portages? My first trip with my future father-in-law and he pushed us 15 miles on the first day with 4 portages. To his defense, we also hit the boy scouts going out at the same time and had to get ahead of them to camp. It was a great time just under 2 weeks out total. I took a rebel xt and a kit lens with a neoprene wrap shoved in a dry sack. It worked. I took a few CF cards and three extra batteries.

Have fun and make sure you post some photos when you get back.

PhotoWolfe.com (external link)
Facebook.com/PhotoWolfe (external link)
Gear / My flickr (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 01, 2011 16:18 |  #7

+1 on the DryZone bags. They'll be easier to schlep along on the portages and less conspicuous than a Pelican as well.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 01, 2011 16:28 |  #8

hey that thing's pretty cool, but at $200+ it's outta my range for now. simple hard case is far cheaper. and doubles as a table! but carrying it sure would be a nice thing. If I keep the case small it'll still fit in the duluth pack so no worries there

conspicuous probably isn't a problem - the route we're on, I highly doubt we'll see another person the whole time. maybe a bear or two - but no people. and I can whack the bear with the case if I need to...

BroncoAZ
393 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 02, 2011 00:00 |  #9

I had a pelican 1400 case, the XSi did not fit comfortably with the grip without removing the lens. It should fit fine in the deeper 1300 case. I went to a 1450 case when I had the gripped XSi.

Canon 60D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS, Canon 10-22mm, Canon Extender EF 1.4x II, Canon 430EX II, B+W MRC filters, Pelican 1450 with dividers, Think Tank Digital Holster 10V2, 2011 Macbook Pro 15" i7 2.0 GHz 8GB RAM, Canon D10

sponsored links

2,015 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pelican Case owners -?'s - looking at a 1300
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.