Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 17:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amateur shooting a wedding

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 31, 2011 23:12 |  #31

As long as you're clear on why you're doing it, everything is fine.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links
Nickc84
Goldmember
2,053 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 01, 2011 08:00 |  #32

flyfisher x wrote in post #12130449 (external link)
Correct me if I am wrong. Do not all wedding photographers have a first time shoot under their belt?

You read my mind.

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 01, 2011 09:08 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

Some co-workers asked me to shoot their wedding. When I said no, they said "Okay, well, at least we'll have the photos from the disposable cameras we put on the tables.

That was like a dagger through the heart.

I agreed to shoot the wedding. They paid me an amount which, while I was happy with it (not being a wedding photographer), would make the pros cringe. It went very well, and they were very, very pleased with the results. I swear, if I could convince myself that every wedding shoot was that easy, I'd give up my day job.

But, I'm smart enough to know better, especially after reading some of the horror stories here.

That was my one and only wedding. I'm batting 1.000%, and I don't wanna' screw that up...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 01, 2011 09:16 |  #34

Easy answer....take it. Just do your best.

Drtydzn12 wrote in post #12126825 (external link)
He tells me that it's okay because they can't afford a professional photographer to shoot, which is why they want me to shoot instead. Basically, unless I shoot the wedding, nobody else is because they don't have the budget for it.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

led ­ hed
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 01, 2011 09:43 |  #35

i was in the same situation, my friend said ' just shoot whatever you get'. so i did, and they were happy.

yep, do it! why won't you? you have nothing to lose but only to gain some experience.

Rob - "a photographer is a painter, in a hurry!"
Canon 7D ~ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MKII ~ Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ~ Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon 430EX ~ Canon EF 2.0X III Telephoto Extender ~ Canon SX230 HS

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 01, 2011 17:23 |  #36

say yes

you're not going to get any work if you just keep putting it off

you're supposed to be nervous, and do well under pressure

that's how i am on nearly all of my big jobs. comfort is a death sentence for an artist

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 01, 2011 17:53 |  #37

So ask yourself. Do I want to do this? If so ask yourself why?
As people have said, there is always your first wedding and I was SWEATING BULLETS on my first one *L*

I disagree with Mike, I don't think you should be nervous but I would agree you should feel pressure.

I would not want a nervous photographer taking my pictures *L* Kinda shaky...

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 01, 2011 19:07 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #38

I am about as amateur as they come and I like to shoot outdoor youth sports. So it caught me off guard when a friend asked me to shoot his wedding. I declined several times, but in the end, I went and had a great time. The ceremony was in an old 1940's theater on a decommissioned military base and the lighting was horrible. Thankfully, my wife was good with correcting my screw-ups.
A few things that I learned were:
Be sure to go to the rehearsals and get a feel for the action- take the pictures just as you would during the wedding so you can get your camera settings. Make notes.
Make a checklist of all the "must have" pictures. You can find good ones online or ask here- the pros are nice about helping.
Make sure your clipboard with the list of pictures is out of the way so it does not end up in your shots. You need a wife that is good with Photoshop to fix this mistake if needed. You cannot borrow my wife, find your own.
You may have to be a little bossy in order to get all the family group pictures, but you can handle it. They don't have to like you, but it helps with getting a smile if they do.
If you borrow any gear, be sure that it is not the camera that you let the flower girl take your picture with. See below for more info.
When the flower girl wants to dance with you and use your camera to take your picture, be sure to put the strap around her neck first- a dSLR is kind of heavy for a little kid and their hands may be slippery. Your dSLR is tougher than you think and a fall to the floor from flower girl height may not do much damage.
Be sure to eat something during the day. Getting hungry means getting grumpy and short tempered, but don't jump ahead of the other guest in the reception line. You are there to work, not sit and eat :)
Most importantly...Have fun!

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

jblaschke
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 01, 2011 23:36 |  #39

flyfisher x wrote in post #12130449 (external link)
Correct me if I am wrong. Do not all wedding photographers have a first time shoot under their belt?

In my experience, most serious wedding photographers go on several weddings as a second shooter to gain experience before tackling a wedding solo. YMMV.

Canon 7D | Canon 50D IR modified | Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS L | Canon FD 500mm 8.0 Reflex | Canon EF 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mk I | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Meade 645 (762mm f/5)
Model Mayhem (external link) | DeviantArt (external link) | Lisa On Location: New Braunfels Photography (external link)

sponsored links

4,012 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amateur shooting a wedding
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.