Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Feb 2008 (Friday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1D Mk II and Mk IIn Owners Unite!

this thread is locked
TheAnt
Goldmember
1,414 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 01, 2011 20:18 |  #9061

GuitarFreak wrote in post #12141116 (external link)
It did take some getting used to, but I don't really mind it at all now.

I think it's great. Plus, not having the knob for modes is a huge plus. Oh, and being able to not hear those annoying beeps.

6D EF 24-70 MkI - Σ 50 mm 1.4 - Σ 15mm 2.8 Fishie - 430EX II - AlienBees -
Website (external link) | Insta (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links
GuitarFreak
894 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 01, 2011 20:20 |  #9062

TheAnt wrote in post #12141240 (external link)
I think it's great. Plus, not having the knob for modes is a huge plus. Oh, and being able to not hear those annoying beeps.

Hah yeah. I do like not having the knob on there actually. I don't think I'll go back to a non-1D body. I just love the feel of them and the features too much.

1D MkIII | A2E + VG-10 | 430EX II | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | Σ 14-24 f/2.8
DA (external link)
Flickr (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,383 posts
Gallery: 565 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 01, 2011 20:45 |  #9063

TheAnt wrote in post #12141240 (external link)

That WOULD be nice, my 7D's knob is constantly getting wonked when im carrying it

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

baowow
303 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 01, 2011 21:59 |  #9064

Doesn't the 7d knob have a safety push button?

I got used to the two button press too. But I still hate the tiny screen of the 1dmkii

I need to stay out of the buy/sell forum. It's burning a hole in the wallet...

Gerald3
107 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 01, 2011 22:18 |  #9065

baowow wrote in post #12141679 (external link)
Doesn't the 7d knob have a safety push button?

I got used to the two button press too. But I still hate the tiny screen of the 1dmkii

I believe that it does.

The dual button press system is one of my favorite features of the 1D Mk II, aside from the AF system and the 8.5 fps burst mode. And yes, the screen is tiny compared to the newer models; but so long as I can tell whether or not an image I just took is sharp or not, I don't care about the size of the screen (to a certain point...and 2" is that point).

I love the size of the 1D Mk II and the 1D bodies. I have fairly large hands, so anything smaller than this is now going to seem...well, too small. I won't say that I like the weight just yet, because I haven't had the opportunity to try the body with a lens that's just as heavy as the body is (70-200 f/2.8 L IS, anyone?). So I could understand why someone would say that they don't like the size and weight of the 1D series bodies, because I have a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on mine right now, and it's hard for me to hold it with one hand (when I'm metering off of my palm...shoot to the right practice :D ).

But I digress. Here is another sample photo from me of our dog. Only changes were noise reduction, B&W conversion, and the lens corrections. Lens was a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 shot wide open.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5063/5580679465_1dd3c8feef_z.jpg

Oh, and I have a question. I've been thinking about trading the 30mm for the Sigma 50mm 1.4 or the Canon 50mm 1.4 USM, or even the Canon 85mm 1.8 USM. I've read a lot of posts on the forums saying that people who have either the Sigma 30mm or the Canon 85mm don't really use their 50mm, but that the 85mm is a bit too tight for indoor work. Currently I do photograph both indoors and outdoors (mostly people) and I'd like some advice as to which lens to go with, or if I should just stick with the 30mm.

Why am I considering switching? For 1 simple reason: the Sigma 30mm is a DC lens, and it vignettes on APS-H and Full Frame bodies. I find the Vignette rather annoying and hard to correct in such a way as to make it appear that there never was any vignette at all (even to reduce it greatly). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd rather use a lens that lets me get the image right in camera (and go past f/5.6 and still get usable images that don't require cropping) than use a lens where I have to do the same PP step to every single image that I take with that lens. Any advice that you have on the matter will be quite helpful.

Cheers, Gerald III
1D Mk II | Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM II

GuitarFreak
894 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 01, 2011 23:08 |  #9066

Gerald3 wrote in post #12141769 (external link)
I believe that it does.

The dual button press system is one of my favorite features of the 1D Mk II, aside from the AF system and the 8.5 fps burst mode. And yes, the screen is tiny compared to the newer models; but so long as I can tell whether or not an image I just took is sharp or not, I don't care about the size of the screen (to a certain point...and 2" is that point).

I love the size of the 1D Mk II and the 1D bodies. I have fairly large hands, so anything smaller than this is now going to seem...well, too small. I won't say that I like the weight just yet, because I haven't had the opportunity to try the body with a lens that's just as heavy as the body is (70-200 f/2.8 L IS, anyone?). So I could understand why someone would say that they don't like the size and weight of the 1D series bodies, because I have a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on mine right now, and it's hard for me to hold it with one hand (when I'm metering off of my palm...shoot to the right practice :D ).

I'm the same way. My hands are rather large, and shooting a rebel is actually kind of uncomfortable. The 1D is perfect for me, and I absolutely love it paired with my 70-200. It balances very well, and just feels amazing. It does get heavy after a while though. When I went to see Clinton, I had to wait outside for 3 hours or so with the camera on my shoulder because I didn't have my bag at the time, and I was sore the next day! Same with shooting a wrestling tournament last weekend. It wasn't as bad, but I could feel it in my wrist a bit. I wouldn't trade it for anything though!

1D MkIII | A2E + VG-10 | 430EX II | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | Σ 14-24 f/2.8
DA (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Rich ­ S
Goldmember
2,352 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 01, 2011 23:19 |  #9067

I shoot a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II on my 1D MkII N...you get used to it...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i212.photobucke​t.com …ner/XJ4I1664_ed​ited-1.jpg (external link)

......I Can't Paint....So I Do This........

baowow
303 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 01, 2011 23:26 |  #9068

I use a monopod for support when I had the Sigma 70-200 2.8 on it. There was no way I could hold that combo with a 580EXII for 4+hour events.

About the 85mm indoors, it is a bit too long for me and the minimum focus distance is about 1.3 meters. I think a 50mm focal length would be better indoors on the 1d.

That Sigma 30 1.4 wide open surprisingly doesn't vignette to bad. That photo still looks quite usable.

I need to stay out of the buy/sell forum. It's burning a hole in the wallet...

Gerald3
107 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 01, 2011 23:48 |  #9069

baowow wrote in post #12142077 (external link)
I use a monopod for support when I had the Sigma 70-200 2.8 on it. There was no way I could hold that combo with a 580EXII for 4+hour events.

About the 85mm indoors, it is a bit too long for me and the minimum focus distance is about 1.3 meters. I think a 50mm focal length would be better indoors on the 1d.

That Sigma 30 1.4 wide open surprisingly doesn't vignette to bad. That photo still looks quite usable.

Yes, the photos wide open are usable, and they are still so at f/2.8. I would like a little more reach though, as going from the APS-C to APS-H format has given me a wider frame.

Cheers, Gerald III

christophercombrink
20 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 02, 2011 03:26 |  #9070

Hi guys!!!

I have also just got a 1DmkIIn and, well, unfortunately it's not legal to marry a camera here in South Africa :P

So far so good, I'm having a blast with her - but there's one thing that I can't get right, and it's going to sound completely retarded, but I can't find where I set the beauty to take pictures in RAW.

The closest I can get is pressing the mode and ISO buttons at the same time, to cycle through the 2sec, 10sec, L, H and an empty rectangle-looking thing? I have it set to the rectangle, but it's still coming through at JPEG on the SD card (I'm only shooting on one SD card).

Some help for the new kid would be much appreciated!

1D MKIIn | 70-200mm F4L | 550ex Speedlight | photobay.co.za (external link)

christophercombrink
20 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 02, 2011 04:11 |  #9071

Ha! I found it :) Not to worry thanks guys.

1D MKIIn | 70-200mm F4L | 550ex Speedlight | photobay.co.za (external link)

TopGun31
182 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 02, 2011 04:13 |  #9072

^^

Otherwise you can also read the manual ^^

Gear List
Flickr gallery (external link)
Clicky clicky for my pictures on JetPhotos.net (external link)

kevinmcdade
603 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 02, 2011 07:53 |  #9073

KenjiS wrote in post #12139785 (external link)
Lets say...I could join this club for $550 including battery + charger with a 30-day return policy

I do not know why exactly, but i have been craving to try out a 1-series...I have a 7D and i love it, Do not get me wrong...its just..part of me wants a 1D....Am I completely and utterly nuts for it?

No Sir, not nuts at all! Give it a try! For the price that you can get one for it's worth a shot. Please be warned that you may not like the feel of that 7d after using a 1 Series. At one point in time I thought I wanted a 7D so I bought one. The plan was for it to replace my 1d2. After using it for about a month I ended up keeping my 1D2 over the 7D (YMMV). Don't get me wrong, I liked all of the cool new features of the 7D and it is a great camera but I've had at least 1D body in my stable for a while and absolutely love the feel and performance of it them.

-KMc-
Canon 7D | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | Sigma 10-20 | Canon 70-200L f/4

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
4,808 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 02, 2011 09:08 |  #9074

george m w wrote in post #12137728 (external link)
Certainly, shooting to the right is valid concept, and one you would do well to understand. It's worth reading up on and getting your head around it. Here is a good place to start:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial​s/expose-right.shtml (external link)

....once you start playing with it, be sure you get to a point that you understand it's pretty easy to go too far to the right, and end up with blown highlights. It's a balancing act over there on the right !

All true, George. However, isn't it "shoot-to-the-top" with the 1D line...?;)

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

Gerald3
107 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 02, 2011 10:02 |  #9075

Jason C wrote in post #12143487 (external link)
All true, George. However, isn't it "shoot-to-the-top" with the 1D line...?;)

Jason C

Indeed it is :D I was rather confused when I looked through the viewfinder for the first time and didn't see the meter where I thought that it would be. I suppose it's "shoot to the top" in landscape orientation and "shoot to the left" in portrait orientation.

Cheers, Gerald III

sponsored links

1,398,502 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1D Mk II and Mk IIn Owners Unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.