Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 08:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D II worth getting nowadays?

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 03, 2011 08:12 |  #1

Hi, i saw a 1D Mark II for sale locally.. comes with all original acc. and a spare battery. I realize this is getting old; for a good price, would it still be a decent body.. providing it's in good/great shape and not too high shutter-actuations? My understanding is that they were pretty clean to ISO 400 and sometimes ISO 800, but wondering about the low resolution(8.2MP and cropping)? My thinking is it would be a cheap body for action/sports... much better than my T2i.
Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Kel
Gear

sponsored links
Gerald3
107 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 03, 2011 09:56 |  #2

I would have to say that it depend on what body you're coming from, and what you intend to use the Mk II for. As you mentioned that it would be a good body for sports, you'd be correct on that front. It is still a good general purpose body, however, and the lower resolution (as far as I know) would only be a problem if you wanted to crop the image, as it does have a lower pixel count that the T2i. If you've got the money to get the camera, I recommend that you go ahead and get it if you intend to shoot sports quite a bit. Even if you are only looking for a general purpose body, the 1D Mk II will not disappoint. ;)

Another thing to point out (not sure if you are aware of this or not) is that the non "s" series of the 1D line (1D Mk II, 1D, 1D Mk III, 1D Mk IV) have APS-H sized sensors, which are larger than APS-C sensors and smaller than FF sensors. So the size is really in between the two. If you do decide to upgrade, you'll find that the FOV is slightly wider than it is on your T2i with the same lenses because of the larger image sensor and therefore provides some "extra" room for cropping.

As for features, the 1D Mk II does have some nice ones, such as the AF Point Expansion which is VERY handy for fast moving/action subjects. What it does is either automatically or manually (depending on what custom function you prefer) expand from the one selected AF point to the 6 points surrounding that selected AF point (for lenses less than 200mm), or the 12 AF points around the selected AF point (for lenses 200mm or longer). And besides, how can you go wrong with 45 AF points to choose from? ;)

The biggest downside you'll notice when going from the T2I to the 1D Mk II (and this may be a deal breaker) is the screen. It's only 2" large and has a resolution of 230,000 dots/pixels. While I came from an XTi which had a 2.5" screen of the same resolution, I don't have any trouble determining whether or not an image is sharp on the 2" screen. But you may have some issues doing so coming from your fancy schmancy 3" 920,000 dot screen (if I remember correctly).

ISO performance is usable throughout the range, including 1600 with some noise reduction. ISO 3200, however, should be used sparingly as it produces quite a bit of chroma and luminance noise. It can be dealt with using the correct NR techniques/software, but the image will lose quite a bit of detail in the process. If you overexpose the image at 3200, however, you should have better results than when you use what the camera meter thinks is the correct exposure.

And here is another thing to consider: size and weight. Because of the fact that the 1D Mk II is made of a Magnesium Alloy skeleton/body (correct me if I'm wrong on the materials used) it is much much heavier than the rebel bodies, and of course, is larger as well. The weight difference (even if you have a grip on the T2i) is very noticeable. If you don't want something to big and clunky, I suggest you try before you buy and see how you like the feel of the camera in your hands. Personally I love the feel of it, but I'm still getting used to the weight aspect.

I hope this little essay was helpful (even though I'm certain that I forgot to include multiple points which I'm sure others will tell you about) and I bid you good luck on your possible upgrade. I will say this, however; once you own a 1D body, It's going to be hard to go back to anything else. :)

Cheers, Gerald III
1D Mk II | Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM II

FIREWALLROB
451 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 03, 2011 11:08 as a reply to  @ Gerald3's post |  #3

Awesome camera ;-)a

1Dii / Sigma 100-300 F4 / Canon 430EXii

kevinmcdade
603 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 03, 2011 11:33 as a reply to  @ FIREWALLROB's post |  #4

I love mine! I chose it over several newer bodies. The screen is small but files that it produces are outstanding. For the price that you can get a 1D2 for, it's worth a shot. It will definitely be better than your T2i for fast action sports. I use my 1D2 side by side with my 1D3 and equally enjoy using both. The high ISO is good but not great. My only complaint with the 1D bodies is the physical size. I'm actually looking for a 5Dc to use when I don't want the bulk of the larger 1D body.

-KMc-
Canon 7D | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | Sigma 10-20 | Canon 70-200L f/4

HighPixel
Goldmember
2,063 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 03, 2011 11:52 |  #5

Awesome sports body! I've had the 1DMkII, 1DsMkI and 1DsMkII FF body as well. The feel of a solid piece of magnesium is on the heavy side, but so solid. The AF system is awesome. The 2" screen isn't too bad, and good enough to see composition...

No longer actively shooting...
Canon EOS-1DMk.III
| Canon EOS-5DMk.II / BG-E6 | Canon 70-200 2.8LIS Mk.II | 24-70 2.8L | 16-35 2.8LII | Just all kinds of crap...|RonBaltazar.com (external link)

kwb
154 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 03, 2011 12:30 |  #6

The mkII is still a good performer.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5054/5585930088_6160c560c1_b.jpg

1Tanker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 03, 2011 14:12 as a reply to  @ kwb's post |  #7

Thanks guys! Yeah, i like the idea of the 1.3x crop factor, i have the 300, 70-200 and tc's for half-decent reach, then the 100 macro and 50 1.4 for bokeh/DoF stuff. :D I was mostly worried about the ISO performance(i usually shoot ISO 400 with my 2 tele's), and the low pixel count. It's not cheap(he's asking $800.. would offer less), but considering the alternatives...
I was going to sell my XS and T2i and move up to a 7D..a few reasons being the faster AF, 1/3 ISOs, and 1/8000 SS; which the 1D would give me. I could sell off the XS, put it towards the 1D and still keep the T2i.. i like having 2 bodies...PLUS.. it would be less costly in the long run. The one thing i really don't like, is the NimH batteries(both could very well be near their end)..WTF? :mad: I can live with the smaller LCD.

Kel
Gear

Ross ­ Murray
220 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 03, 2011 14:48 |  #8

1Tanker wrote in post #12149769 (external link)
Thanks guys! Yeah, i like the idea of the 1.3x crop factor, i have the 300, 70-200 and tc's for half-decent reach, then the 100 macro and 50 1.4 for bokeh/DoF stuff. :D I was mostly worried about the ISO performance(i usually shoot ISO 400 with my 2 tele's), and the low pixel count. It's not cheap(he's asking $800.. would offer less), but considering the alternatives...
I was going to sell my XS and T2i and move up to a 7D..a few reasons being the faster AF, 1/3 ISOs, and 1/8000 SS; which the 1D would give me. I could sell off the XS, put it towards the 1D and still keep the T2i.. i like having 2 bodies...PLUS.. it would be less costly in the long run. The one thing i really don't like, is the NimH batteries(both could very well be near their end)..WTF? :mad: I can live with the smaller LCD.

You can get great third party batteries for it though. If they're done maybe use that to haggle the price a touch lower? Just make the charger is included as replacement ones aren't cheap and the refresh function isn't on cheaper (not cheap!) third party chargers.

Camera: Canon EOS 1D MkII
Lenses: Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L,
Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG, Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO HSM Telemacro, Tamron SP 90mm F/2.5 Macro
Flickr (external link)

Gerald3
107 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 03, 2011 16:51 |  #9

1Tanker wrote in post #12149769 (external link)

If at all possible, I'd recommend waiting and seeing if you can snag one for less than that here on the forums, as you'll most likely get a better deal. Plus, the folks here on POTN know how to treat a camera well (not that the person who is selling the camera locally doesn't) and you're less likely to get ripped off, so long as you are smart and check out the credentials of the seller before you make the final purchase. And PayPal is your friend. :D

And as Ross pointed out, aftermarket (third party) batteries are always an option if you're worried about the sellers batteries being near the end of their life span.

Also,consider this: You might, just might be able to snag a used 7D for the $800 asking price of the 1D Mk II. But here is something else to consider: the 7D and the 1D Mk II have very similar burst mode shooting rates (7D 8.0fps, 1D Mk II 8.5fps). However, the 1D Mk II is rated for a minimum of 200,000 actuations and the 7D is rated for a minimum 150,000 actuations. Something else to keep in mind. ;)

Cheers, Gerald III

1Tanker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 03, 2011 17:28 |  #10

Gerald3 wrote in post #12150532 (external link)
If at all possible, I'd recommend waiting and seeing if you can snag one for less than that here on the forums, as you'll most likely get a better deal. Plus, the folks here on POTN know how to treat a camera well (not that the person who is selling the camera locally doesn't) and you're less likely to get ripped off, so long as you are smart and check out the credentials of the seller before you make the final purchase. And PayPal is your friend. :D

And as Ross pointed out, aftermarket (third party) batteries are always an option if you're worried about the sellers batteries being near the end of their life span.

Also,consider this: You might, just might be able to snag a used 7D for the $800 asking price of the 1D Mk II. But here is something else to consider: the 7D and the 1D Mk II have very similar burst mode shooting rates (7D 8.0fps, 1D Mk II 8.5fps). However, the 1D Mk II is rated for a minimum of 200,000 actuations and the 7D is rated for a minimum 150,000 actuations. Something else to keep in mind. ;)

Yeah Gerald.. the fast burst was another reason(high on my list) i wanted a 7D or the 1D. I like the higher shutter life too, but who knows..it could have 150k shots. :confused:

I know it's probably more than i could get one for here, but the guy lives a few minutes from me.. a small town. I could actually see it and try it. Also, i would have shipping on here, and i've never bought anything off a forum, so i've only used PayPal on eBay(don't know whether it would be different).

Kel
Gear

Gerald3
107 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 03, 2011 18:32 |  #11

1Tanker wrote in post #12150695 (external link)
Yeah Gerald.. the fast burst was another reason(high on my list) i wanted a 7D or the 1D. I like the higher shutter life too, but who knows..it could have 150k shots. :confused:

I know it's probably more than i could get one for here, but the guy lives a few minutes from me.. a small town. I could actually see it and try it. Also, i would have shipping on here, and i've never bought anything off a forum, so i've only used PayPal on eBay(don't know whether it would be different).

It's different in that you don't have to sit at your computer for the last 60 seconds of the auction and hope that you don't get outbid, and we use PayPal on here as well. And you should be able to find a fairly low mileage 1D Mk II from someone on here. Plus most people on here are honest about the shutter count of their camera bodies and know how to retrieve that information, whereas you'll most likely get an "I don't know" from an eBay seller who either doesn't want to say how many actuations are on the shutter, or they don't know how to get that information.

Buying in person is a plus because you get instant feedback from the seller, you get to see the camera body in person and all of the defects (if there are any) without the possibility of the seller using photo tricks to hide them. Plus, there is the advantage of begin able to take it home immediately. :D

Cheers, Gerald III

1Tanker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 03, 2011 19:14 |  #12

Gerald3 wrote in post #12150945 (external link)
It's different in that you don't have to sit at your computer for the last 60 seconds of the auction and hope that you don't get outbid, and we use PayPal on here as well. And you should be able to find a fairly low mileage 1D Mk II from someone on here. Plus most people on here are honest about the shutter count of their camera bodies and know how to retrieve that information, whereas you'll most likely get an "I don't know" from an eBay seller who either doesn't want to say how many actuations are on the shutter, or they don't know how to get that information.

Buying in person is a plus because you get instant feedback from the seller, you get to see the camera body in person and all of the defects (if there are any) without the possibility of the seller using photo tricks to hide them. Plus, there is the advantage of begin able to take it home immediately. :D

Haha.. it's a girl from my photo club. she says ~78,800 actuations. Um.. she knows her stuff, she shoots sports for a living right now, she has a 1D 1V and a 1Ds 111, so she doesn't use this one, she said it's been in the closet for about 3 years. I don't think she'll budge much on price though.
Gonna look at it tomorrow if it isn't raining. :D

Kel
Gear

Gerald3
107 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 03, 2011 19:20 |  #13

1Tanker wrote in post #12151156 (external link)
Haha.. it's a girl from my photo club. she says ~78,800 actuations. Um.. she knows her stuff, she shoots sports for a living right now, she has a 1D 1V and a 1Ds 111, so she doesn't use this one, she said it's been in the closet for about 3 years. I don't think she'll budge much on price though.
Gonna look at it tomorrow if it isn't raining. :D

Good luck man, hope you get it and that everything is working right! You won't regret getting it for one second. :)

Cheers, Gerald III

jgaurd
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 03, 2011 21:42 as a reply to  @ Gerald3's post |  #14

Good luck. I'm actually looking at a couple this week too. UCONN sports photographer has a couple he's thinking about selling. I have to wait until wed or thur coz he's busy shooting mens/womens final four. ARGGGGGG.

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 03, 2011 21:45 |  #15

1d2's are a bargain at around $600. I'd miss having the higher/cleaner ISO settings of my 7d, but I could live with a 1d2 :D

My Gearlist

sponsored links

4,192 views & 0 likes for this thread
1D II worth getting nowadays?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.