Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 12:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have any of you found good finds in a pawn shop?

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,722 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 03, 2011 15:12 |  #16

I have looked in a few pawn shops, and only seen point & shoots.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

sponsored links
Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,189 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 03, 2011 15:17 as a reply to  @ post 12149965 |  #17

Buddy of mine over at FM a few months back found a 1987 if i remember the year correctly Canon 300/f2.8 lens. The barrel was scuffed up but the glass was clean and mechanically sound. He got it for a mere $450 bucks, took it home, cleaned it up, painted it and i believe has already sold it for a substantial profit. So yes sometimes you can get lucky scrounging around in some of these Pawn shops as he certainly did.

Regards, ;)

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 03, 2011 15:19 |  #18

I can easily convert any FD mirror lens to EF mount.

GEAR LIST

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 03, 2011 15:39 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

amfoto1 wrote in post #12149902 (external link)
What gives you the idea that only poor people buy at Goodwill?

You should see the cars parked in front of our local store! Sure, plenty of beaters... But also a fair share of Mercedes, Porsche, Acura, Lexus and even an occasional Bentley or Hummer H2.

And, hey, some people like to fix things!

You must live in an area where people can afford those kinds of vehicles. I don't, and the thought of some poor guy buying something he thought was a good deal and going home to realize it didn't work, is shameful.

Really, you have to be a terrible person to give something to goodwill that doesn't work. ESPECIALLY if you don't tell them. That kind of thing belongs on ebay.

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 03, 2011 16:24 as a reply to  @ sbattey's post |  #20

Don't forget flea markets. Last week there was a few Nikon and Canon EOS film bodies with lenses for $5~20 each. I was not familiar enough with them to know if the lenses were worth anything, but to someone who knows, it might be a worthwhile trip.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

MikeFairbanks
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 05, 2011 09:34 |  #21

There's a local thrift store I think I'll visit today. Based on their bicycle prices, however, I'm not too optimistic. They'll take a beat-up Walmart bike that was 99 bucks originally and try to sell it for 50. Nuts. I did get a pretty good flat-screen monitor there a couple years ago for 10 bucks, so that's not too bad. I'll see what I can find today.

Thank you. bw!

Cam101
611 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 05, 2011 09:48 |  #22

I've gotten some great deals on tools and stuff at local pawn shops, but nothing photography related.

As for Craigslist, i've gotten some screaming deals. It's always buyer beware though, you got to be able to spot a scammer. If it's higher end photography stuff, i'll usually send at least a dozen emails asking some pretty technical questions about the item and photography. If the seller can answer can answer properly (and strike up a good photography conversation) it's usually a good sign. If I get the slightest hint of trouble or vague answer, I drop it regardless of how good of a deal it is.

Canon 5D MkIV | 600EX-RT
Canon Lenses: 16-35 f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS | 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS II | 100mm f/2.8L Macro | MP-E 65mm Macro
Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH55

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,997 posts
Joined May 2004

Apr 05, 2011 10:04 |  #23

When I was a kid in the late 60s I got my first two or three cameras, first Sekonic light meter (which I still have) and first Manfrotto tripod (which I still have) from pawn shops. I lived in an army town, and there were perhaps 50 pawn shops...each one next to a liquor store. But being in an army town, they tended to have a decent selection of cameras.

But in the browsing I've done in recent years, I've seen few worthwhile photographic equipment. Point and shoot cameras, mostly. I think everyone realizes better sales deals are available on eBay or Craigslist for such equipment.

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 05, 2011 10:44 |  #24

amfoto1 wrote in post #12149729 (external link)
Buying from Craigslist you must meet people in a safe place, such as a bank lobby. I can't emphasize that enough. Too many people have been robbed when responding to fake CL ads with a wad of money in their pocket.

I agree that you need to be careful but it's not too difficult to do it safely. I always suggest we meet at a busy Starbucks in the middle of the day, and I park my car within sight of the front door. For anything over a couple hundred dollars I leave my money in the glove compartment until I have seen that they actually have the item in hand. I've purchased a lot of stuff on Craigslist, including much of my camera gear, and it has worked out great so far. *knock on wood*

Gear | Flickr (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,997 posts
Joined May 2004

Apr 05, 2011 10:51 as a reply to  @ dmnelson's post |  #25

anything of value I suggest we meet at a busy Starbucks in the middle of the day, and I park my car right in front of the door. Usually I leave my money in the glove compartment until I have seen that they actually have the item in hand.

That actually decreases your safety. If the person does have such violently nefarious intentions--you will be specifically "marked" as you leave your car with the money and are in the parking lot. A cellphone call to a buddy outside--"Tag the guy in the plaid shirt as soon as he leaves his car" would be all it takes. It would be more secure--if you really need that level of security--not to be identified until you're in Starbucks and are ready to make an immediate exchange.

But I think you're going over the top anyway. If the other person is equally paranoid, he won't enter Starbucks with the item in hand. So you'll have a weird gunslinger standoff, neither of you daring to make the first move.

MoreToasties
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2011 11:07 |  #26

RDKirk wrote in post #12162360 (external link)
If the other person is equally paranoid, he won't enter Starbucks with the item in hand. So you'll have a weird gunslinger standoff, neither of you daring to make the first move.

Hah! Well put, sir.

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 05, 2011 11:25 |  #27

Haha, good points. And you're right, those precautions are probably unnecessary, but in any case it has worked out well. :)

Gear | Flickr (external link)

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 05, 2011 12:26 as a reply to  @ post 12149965 |  #28

RDKirk wrote in post #12162360 (external link)
That actually decreases your safety. If the person does have such violently nefarious intentions--you will be specifically "marked" as you leave your car with the money and are in the parking lot. A cellphone call to a buddy outside--"Tag the guy in the plaid shirt as soon as he leaves his car" would be all it takes. It would be more secure--if you really need that level of security--not to be identified until you're in Starbucks and are ready to make an immediate exchange.

But I think you're going over the top anyway. If the other person is equally paranoid, he won't enter Starbucks with the item in hand. So you'll have a weird gunslinger standoff, neither of you daring to make the first move.

Great quote--I just stole it!

gasrocks wrote in post #12149429 (external link)
There are no pawn shop within 50 miles of my house. Yeah. eBay is your best bet althoguh it it getting harder and harder to get "deals." I would not do Craigslist on a bet.

Craigslist can be awesome. Got a pristine 16-35 MKII for $900, and a Sigma 50 1.4 for $300. Its not my fault that the person selling the 16-35 was a prostitute selling her boyfriends lens for crack money.;)

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

Hitthespot
554 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2011 12:41 as a reply to  @ post 12149965 |  #29

The last time I visited a Pawn shop in our area, there were a hand full of lenses in a glass case, but, they were all old manual focus lenses. He probably had them since he opened the store. lol

Canon 7D, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430EX II,

Refresh ­ Image
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 05, 2011 14:59 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

Cam101 wrote in post #12161981 (external link)
As for Craigslist, i've gotten some screaming deals. It's always buyer beware though, you got to be able to spot a scammer. If it's higher end photography stuff, i'll usually send at least a dozen emails asking some pretty technical questions about the item and photography. If the seller can answer can answer properly (and strike up a good photography conversation) it's usually a good sign. If I get the slightest hint of trouble or vague answer, I drop it regardless of how good of a deal it is.

Funny. So if some older lady wants to get rid of that white pipe sitting in the corner and she could not figure out the number of coating layers on the front glass of that thingy you'd pass it on ? :-)

By the way when I sell something, I price it fairly and usually have many people in line for the item in the first few days of the listing. Definitely I would ignore a pesky buyer who bombards me with dozen emails.

sponsored links

4,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have any of you found good finds in a pawn shop?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.